Thread: Verdi's "A" - bowlback mandolins

Default Verdi's "A" - bowlback mandolins

Difficult, I know, but if all the mystic crystal blather associated with Verdi's "A" can be pushed aside for a moment, 432hz sounds altogether kinder to the ear when played on my bowl back than that of Goebbels. Also, a shuffle through Youtube for Italian Folk music recordings from the 50's/60's/70's indicates that many of the songs were performed at 432hz.

I have a vague recollection of 432hz being discussed before, in terms of better suitability to bowlback mandolins but couldn't find it in the archives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_pitch

Blog Entries

Default Re: Verdi's "A" - bowlback mandolins

The pitch of American popular and folk recordings from the 50s-70s is all over the place, so I would not trust the measured tuning of an Italian YouTube offering.

The difference is about a 1/4 tone, so unlikely to significantly affect where your resonances line up, although your own pitch memory is in play when you compare. More likely you notice the sound of lower tension. On the short scale, the tension change might be large.

When Riccardo Muti took over at the Chicago Symphony he asked us to try to hold pitch to 440 (not 442). To my knowledge Verdi is performed at 440 in Italy. BTW, when I play Otello I tune up a 1/2 step to play in Bb instead of B. No complaints from any conductor.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    … The difference is about a 1/4 tone, so unlikely to significantly affect where your resonances line up, although your own pitch memory is in play when you compare. More likely you notice the sound of lower tension. On the short scale, the tension change might be large. …
    Yes - particularly the treble notes. The other thing I noticed was the sweet spot shifted down a bit, past the sound hole and over the top of the pick guard.

Another sceptic here I'm afraid. Historically pitch was all over the place - folks would tune to whatever their church bell was or some other "standard". But if it sounds good to you, go for it, just don't try to play in the same band as me

You can play in our session, no one would notice Well you wouldn't stand out -not quite the same thing.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    … But if it sounds good to you, go for it, just don't try to play in the same band as me
    I've seen a few of your videos - I think I'd flunk the audition to your band.

It might also be a case of "olde ears." Loud bass and high frequency notes can really hurt sometimes - a speedy "esco del disco" situation. My other, fuller-sounding mandolins are tuned to 420hz and I can play those with no discomfort at all.