Thread: Air (Hornpipe) HWV 355 by G F Handel

Default Air (Hornpipe) HWV 355 by G F Handel

This hornpipe was originally in C minor. For this arrangement I have raised it a tone to D minor, which makes it easier to vary the instrument line-up to suit different ensemble configurations. I have scored it for two mandolins, Octave mandola and guitar. However (with minor modification) the mandola part can be played using Alto Mandola (CGDA) or a 3rd mandolin. Also the Guitar part could be played (with minor modification) on an Octave mandola or Mandocello, and a bass-clef part is also included.

This is an interesting piece to play. It is nominally in 3/2 time (three beats in the bar/measure) but there are sections when Handel obviously changes to 6/4 time (2 beats in the bar) and there are occasions when the accents can be changed so that different parts are playing with a different 'feel' at the same time. The fact that the character of the piece moves so seamlessly from one to the other
    is testament to Handel's great mastery.

Other interesting effects can be achieved by playing around with section dynamics (not marked - I leave that to the players/director to interpret as they will), addition of a bass octave doubling the lowest part in places, and even having the piece played by two separate groups, splitting the piece between them and playing in a 'question/answer' fashion (i.e. cantoris & decani)

Score and various part configurations in the zip file on my webpage at

http://www.andyboden.com/baroque.html

Andy
    Mandolins -
    Paul Shippey electric custom - 2009
    Paul Shippey maple model oval hole - 2012
    J Bovier EMC-5
    Suzuki (Nagoya) bowlback 1973

My Soundcloud Stream

My Mandolin Music Page

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy Boden For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Air (Hornpipe) HWV 355 by G F Handel

Thanks, Andy -- that looks great! I very much enjoyed your earlier trio arrangement of Handel's hornpipe in D major, HWV 356 (Link) and I'm sure I'll enjoy this one, too.

Martin

4. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Default Re: Air (Hornpipe) HWV 355 by G F Handel

Thanks Martin. I didn't actually do a great deal of arranging - it's more of a transcription of the string quartet version as available at

http://imslp.org/wiki/Hornpipe_Aria_...orge_Frideric)
    Mandolins -
    Paul Shippey electric custom - 2009
    Paul Shippey maple model oval hole - 2012
    J Bovier EMC-5
    Suzuki (Nagoya) bowlback 1973

My Soundcloud Stream

My Mandolin Music Page