Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eastman MD415-GD opinions

Default Eastman MD415-GD opinions

Hello! Has anyone else had any experience with Eastman's new goldtop mandolin, the MD415-GD? I ordered one from Brian at The Mandolin Store and I've played it a little over a week. I am impressed so far. It seems like a whole lot of mandolin for the money, and it looks amazing! I watched a video of Sam Bush playing his song "The Old North Woods" and fell in love with the goldtop Gibson he was playing. I'm a Gibson man and love my Goldrush, but Gibson doesn't seem to produce goldtop mandolins except for custom orders. Anyways, I'm just wanting to get other players opinions on this mandolin or other Eastmans. This is the first one I've had experience with, and I'm pondering on purchasing one of their mandolas, too. I've never played mandola, but you have to start somewhere haha!
    -Nester

2017 Gibson Goldrush
    1920 Gibson A3
    2016 Weber Yellowstone F
    2017 Ratliff R5 Country Boy
    2016 Dubova F
    2005 Kentucky KM-805 F
    2017 Eastman MD415-GD Goldtop F
    1917 Martin Style A

Default Re: Eastman MD415-GD opinions

I have one. Got it back in February. It's received quite a bit of playing time, being the new kid on the block. So far I'm really impressed. And like you, I love the look. It grabs attention wherever I take it. Great sound, easy to play, most responsive mandolin i have.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by F-2 Dave View Post
    I have one. Got it back in February. It's received quite a bit of playing time, being the new kid on the block. So far I'm really impressed. And like you, I love the look. It grabs attention wherever I take it. Great sound, easy to play, most responsive mandolin i have.
    I don't have one but would've taken it if I won her in the giveaway! I like the gold top look, but I also like the old Gibson white top and black top mandolins while some hate it cause they "CAN'T" see the wood!
    I bet they are kinda warm sounding for being a mahogany bodied mandolin right?
    On Gbase there is a Gold Top Gibson for sale, not sure how much or what model she is and NFI.

How does the tone compare to your Goldrush? Suspect they're very different animals with the different woods and price tags, but am curious nonetheless. I have a 315 that holds its own with my MT. Not quite as complex a tone, and the Collings is more responsive and better sounding up the neck (and just a better mandolin all around), but I'm impressed with the Eastman, for sure...
    Chuck

===========

I too bought one from the Mandolin Store a few weeks ago. The set-up/playablility is very nice, but mine is kind of 'tubby' sounding . . . my $200 The Loar 310 has better tone for 1/4th the price. I guess you could say it is a classic example of play-before-you-buy, but at the time I REALLY needed an instrument that played very well, because my progress was being hampered by my The Loar which has a much stiffer action. From a personal perspective, I can't say that I would highly recommend one, but I also wouldn't recommend avoiding one.

Blog Entries

I don't have a Gibson Gold Rush, but they for sure are a gorgeous horn! I heard they sound great and different because of something?- the smaller f holes or bracing? Elderly just had one for a real good price, I don't think they still have her?
    But there would be a major difference in mandolins just because the goldrush is maple back and sides hence a brighter/poppier mandolin compared to the hogwood eastman gold top. + I'm a Gibson guy that likes the brighter sounding mandolins not warm/bassist like the hogwood mando. I know on F-7's and F-12's they used hogwood on the neck and some were warmer sounding and some brighter, well the ones I've had anyway but they have the same body as an F-5 of the day. Again its all in personal choice some like D-18's while some like 28's?

The tone is definitely different than that of the Goldrush. It's hard to describe it. I'm extremely impressed with the Eastman. It's the only mandolin I've picked up and played since it arrived. I just can't seem to get enough of it. I can't wait until it fully opens up!
    -Nester

2017 Gibson Goldrush
    1920 Gibson A3
    2016 Weber Yellowstone F
    2016 Dubova F
    2005 Kentucky KM-805 F
    1917 Martin Style A

Bluegrasser78, the tone is different. I used to play a Weber Yellowstone that I wish I still had. I thought it was the only mandolin for me. Honestly, I enjoy the Goldrush even more. I've read that the F-holes or the bracing or something in them is different. Not sure exactly what or how though. I have to agree with you on the old Gibson A's! I have a 1920 "refrigerator white top" A3 that is killer. She's worn pretty good, but sounds amazing and is a true player mandolin. I'd like to have one of the pumpkin tops, too.
    -Nester

2017 Gibson Goldrush
    1920 Gibson A3
    2016 Weber Yellowstone F
    2016 Dubova F
    2005 Kentucky KM-805 F
    1917 Martin Style A

F-2 Dave, I have to agree! It seems to be a really impressive mandolin!
    -Nester

2017 Gibson Goldrush
    1920 Gibson A3
    2016 Weber Yellowstone F
    2016 Dubova F
    2005 Kentucky KM-805 F
    1917 Martin Style A

MikeZito, thanks for the info. I suppose like all of the imported factory mandolins (or really any mandolin or instrument, for that matter) there are good ones and bad ones. Years ago I had a new Martin D-28 that I absolutely adored. I sold it and bought a 1972 Martin D-35 to replace it with. As crazy as it sounds, that was a mistake. The particular vintage Martin I had was nowhere near the guitar of the new D-28.
    -Nester

2017 Gibson Goldrush
    1920 Gibson A3
    2016 Weber Yellowstone F
    2016 Dubova F
    2005 Kentucky KM-805 F
    1917 Martin Style A

Blog Entries

Martin is making fantastic consistent guitars way better than what was 70's early 2000 in my opinion. sure there was great ones in them years but the ones as of late-WOW

Bluegrasser78, I agree! martins seem to be more consistent these days. I also tried a few Taylor guitars out a few months ago and I was extremely impressed with them as well.
    -Nester

2017 Gibson Goldrush
    1920 Gibson A3
    2016 Weber Yellowstone F
    2016 Dubova F
    2005 Kentucky KM-805 F
    1917 Martin Style A

===========

It's funny - I have never been a big fan of Martin guitars, but have always had a great affinity for Taylor's . . . however, in recent years I don't see the same consistency with Taylor's as I used to - but you say Martin's are getting better. Go figure.

14. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

I love the gold top Les Pauls and I almost went for the 415-GD. Looks sweet! So does the all black one.

I'm thinking seriously of spraying a gold top on the Arches kit I'm going to get. I believe you can get nitro lacquer from ReRanch in rattle cans. I've sprayed many tele and strat bodies with ReRanch products. It is a difficult finish to spray. I think gold tops look great with a cherry red back and sides.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

===========

Quote Originally Posted by ivanthetrble View Post
    I love the gold top Les Pauls and I almost went for the 415-GD. Looks sweet! So does the all black one.
    Too funny . . . my love of Gold Tops is one of the reasons why I went for the 415-GD - and I also love the look of black mandolins; which is one of the reasons why I bought my Washburn.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ivanthetrble View Post
    looks aint everything you should always go for the sound!

I purchased this model and have had a problem with the finish where my hand touches the neck. It is becomes soft and forms into a glob on the back of the neck. Eastman has replaced it and the new one seems like it will be the same. I played it for about ten minutes and the finish is starting to get dull, soft and tacky right where my thumb rest by the second fret. I have been playing guitars for 40+ years and never had this problem. I haven't heard of anyone having this problem. I'm thinking maybe I should try another model? I don't know what to do at this point. Other than that I love the way it plays and sounds!

That sounds awful John. Mind posting images ? I ordered this Mandolin and am obviously hoping for a bit tougher finish.

These are the first one:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0526.HEIC.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	162115

Name:	IMG_0537.HEIC.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	162114
    This is the second after about 10 minutes of playing.

Name:	IMG_0569.HEIC.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	162113
    Last edited by John Aubuchon; Nov-06-2017 at 11:16am. Reason: Links for images did not work

Anybody else having the same problem with the neck?

Picked mine up today. Fortunately have 2 hrs in and no finish issues. The other Gold 415 was a tad rough in paint around the scroll but played and sounded great. I liked this one of the two. Very even action right out the box. Got the KK Mini installed. A solid gigging mandolin for sure. I like the muted woody mahogany sound since I’m not competing with banjos.

Glad yours is working out for you! I agree, I love the sound and the play-ability. Just wish it wasn't melting in my hand! I have another mandolin with a nitro-celluose finish that does not melt in my hand and just seems like what you'd expect. It's been postulated elsewhere that my body PH is not compatible with that particular finish. Has anyone heard of this?

Also I was thinking, could it be the case lining somehow reacting with the finish? That is the only other thing that touches that part of the neck and I literally never set the mandolin anywhere else. It's was either in my hand or in the case.

I’ve been doing some research on this problem and I think I’ve figured out what happened. Both times I received the mandolins they were very hot. I did let them slowly acclimate for a couple days before trying to tune them and play them. But I read that when nitrocellulose lacquer gets hot long enough it will essentially melt and will need to recure. After I received the second one I waited a couple of days before playing it. Right away I could tell it didn’t feel right and after a few minutes of playing could see the finish distorting where my thumb touched. This was about 3 weeks ago. I put it back in the case and didn’t touch it again until last night. Now the finish on the neck feels totally normal and hard. I played it for about 3 hours now and the place by my thumb where the finish was dulling is now almost gone and the finish seems to get smoother the more I play I now instead of softer. I guess letting it sit a couple of weeks allowed the finish to reharden.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Aubuchon For This Useful Post: