Thread: Great photos for the classifieds... help!

Ione CA in the beautiful gold country east of Sactown

Default Great photos for the classifieds... help!

(Please put this in the right section if this is inappropriate here)

I have a mandolin and a few guitars I am not playing and the house needs a roof. I want to post in the classifieds here but all I have is a Samsung G7 for camera work. The classifieds here look like pro photographers took the pictures -- gorgeous. Is there anyone here -- or anywhere for that matter -- who could give me tips on how to photograph my instruments? I don't want to negatively affect the sale of some pretty cool stuff.

Big thanks.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Great photos for the classifieds... help!

Here ya go: http://www.wikihow.com/Take-A-Good-P...r-Camera-Phone

Google search is your friend.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

3. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Blog Entries

There are basic principles. Plenty of light, nice background, pay attention to framing. Also, I prefer non-close-up shooting, meaning from at least several feet away---use your digital zoom for pictures with correct perspective. Shooting from close gives the "selfie" look---exaggerated perspective.

Plenty of light will let your phone's digital zoom look less grainy, ditto for all the shots. Avoid flash for the harsh shadows and the unhelpful reflections.

But the main thing is the framing and angle. Don't settle for a casual picture, spend some time arranging things to look good. A clean background helps by not detracting from the object of interest.

It really boils down to exerting some effort at the arrangement of the shot. The camera does not know what you want (although software is getting smarter). Help the prospective purchaser by presenting the instruments appealingly. And when you actually shoot, pay close attention to the tilt, to the edges of the frame, to the reflections on the varnish, etc. It doesn't take more than attention to detail.

Picture-editing software is very useful but can't really fix a bad picture. And a well-arranged and lit shot with correct camera angle will look good without further editing.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

5. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bjewell View Post
    (Please put this in the right section if this is inappropriate here)

I have a mandolin and a few guitars I am not playing and the house needs a roof. I want to post in the classifieds here but all I have is a Samsung G7 for camera work. The classifieds here look like pro photographers took the pictures -- gorgeous. Is there anyone here -- or anywhere for that matter -- who could give me tips on how to photograph my instruments? I don't want to negatively affect the sale of some pretty cool stuff.

Big thanks.
    Hey buddy ,I'm far from what I call a good photographer, just make sure ya have good light without to much shine spots! That's what I go with, I've had a few hundred ads over the years mandolins/guitars/parts etc.. and it usually comes down to swap deals but that ok for me "another mans junk is another mans treasure type kind of thing" sure I've sold a few things but I sure do like swappin, its just fun to me anyway!
    And if you have something thats well "known" to players/collectors that speaks for itself anyway without great photos.

7. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Ione CA in the beautiful gold country east of Sactown

Thanks all. I'll be putting some cool stuff up in the next few days...