Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on the Gibson F9?

Default Re: Thoughts on the Gibson F9?

Don wrote:
    "Just noticed a very good price for a 2002 F-9 at Carter's"

The headstock scroll break is very cleanly repaired and not too noticeable.

The back on that one has a lot of figure, and overall the instrument looks to be very clean.

The price is reasonable, too.

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    Just noticed a very good price for a 2002 F-9 at Carter's if a person doesn't mind a mandolin with a repaired headstock scroll. If I lived anywhere near Carter's I'd be trying this mandolin out. Not that I need another mandolin, but this one is almost inexpensive enough to have as a backup. (Although then I'd want to replace the frets, I'm spoiled with wide evo frets now.)
    Saw that one. Not bad. I got one recently for a little less, with a small finish blemish. Here's one at Carter's that seems a little pricey.

https://cartervintage.com/collection...nt=21769888387
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

my reply will not help you directly as my F9 is recent(2016), has larger "modern" size fretwire(I have not measured it to see the exact size, but I'm thinking its similar to Collings or Weber currently), radius fretboard, dot inlay and side dots on the FB, and 1 5/32" nut width. Fit and finish is superb. No different than Collings(which is my standard compare for fit and finish). Tone is excellent, can be played soft and easy and still retains excellent note quality, or loud-and it can get loud-but still retains excellent note quality and doesn't get harsh or trashy. Came with the best stock setup I've encountered-all I did was adjust the relief and the saddle height. Probably earns the most easy to play mandolin I've owned, and I've owned some top shelf quality instruments(Collings, Weber, Northfield). The outside look and appearance is clean and smooth. Its just a great mandolin, the best I've had my hands on.
    It came from ThemandolinStore and I was told it may have been the first F9 with the combo of whats on it(wider nut, larger frets, radius FB). I think TMS is ordering F9's with the same specs nowadays.

good luck on your hunt/purchase
    d

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post:

Just picked up a 2015 F-9, signed by David Harvey. Good tone, good feel, easy playing, lightweight - all the things I like. Needs some fret care and likely will get a Weber trad bridge installed.

AlanN, I also own a 2015 Gibson F9. Signed by Dave Harvey January 14, 2015. Had it almost a year, I think it’s an incredible bluegrass mandolin!
    Deep chop, dry and punchy midrange and strong highs. This is my 3rd F9 and it’s definitely the strongest, deepest one I’ve played. Notes just pop and have an almost bulbous, fat sound all the way up the neck. The 2002 F9 I owned was very nice, a lot more dry and midrange heavy, but lacking the bass and complexity of the newer F9. This 2015 beat out my 1985 flatiron A5 that I owned and loved for 5 years, didn’t play it much after acquiring this F9 so I sold the Flatiron.
    I was fortunate to spend a day at Carter Vintage in Nashville last September, my F9 in tote so I could A-B it with a bunch of amazing mandolins. Honestly there were only a few mandolins I preferred tonally more than the F9.. One of them was a 2012 Voight A5 that had been there awhile (4 years?) that was a killer. Great volume and tone, varnish finish with incredible craftsmanship. Preferred it to 2 Ellis A5’s and many others, so I bought it.
    After playing the Voight and F9 often for a few months, I found that I enjoyed the smaller nut width and neck carve, along with the deep chop and volume of the F9, so I sold the Voight.

All that to say that I love this F9!!
    My MAS will never end for a high end varnished F5 someday, but I will always keep this great, blue collar mandolin.
    David Harvey has been building great mandolins with his team at Gibson for years (10?) now so I highly recommend any mandolin with his signature on it.

Cheers mando friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Mandosurf View Post
    AlanN, I also own a 2015 Gibson F9. Signed by Dave Harvey January 14, 2015. Had it almost a year, I think it’s an incredible bluegrass mandolin!
    Deep chop, dry and punchy midrange and strong highs. This is my 3rd F9 and it’s definitely the strongest, deepest one I’ve played. Notes just pop and have an almost bulbous, fat sound all the way up the neck. The 2002 F9 I owned was very nice, a lot more dry and midrange heavy, but lacking the bass and complexity of the newer F9. This 2015 beat out my 1985 flatiron A5 that I owned and loved for 5 years, didn’t play it much after acquiring this F9 so I sold the Flatiron.
    I was fortunate to spend a day at Carter Vintage in Nashville last September, my F9 in tote so I could A-B it with a bunch of amazing mandolins. Honestly there were only a few mandolins I preferred tonally more than the F9.. One of them was a 2012 Voight A5 that had been there awhile (4 years?) that was a killer. Great volume and tone, varnish finish with incredible craftsmanship. Preferred it to 2 Ellis A5’s and many others, so I bought it.
    After playing the Voight and F9 often for a few months, I found that I enjoyed the smaller nut width and neck carve, along with the deep chop and volume of the F9, so I sold the Voight.

All that to say that I love this F9!!
    My MAS will never end for a high end varnished F5 someday, but I will always keep this great, blue collar mandolin.
    David Harvey has been building great mandolins with his team at Gibson for years (10?) now so I highly recommend any mandolin with his signature on it.

Cheers mando friends!
    I had a 2002 F9 earlier in my playing career and lived it but let it slip away. I recently bought an 02 A9 which also had that great sound but I found the frets to be small in comparison to my Ratliff. With you experience with both an 02 and a 15 model, were the fret sizes different?
    2018 Ratliff R5 "Country Boy"
    Mid-MO Model OO
    2002 Gibson F9 with radius fretboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
    I had a 2002 F9 earlier in my playing career and lived it but let it slip away. I recently bought an 02 A9 which also had that great sound but I found the frets to be small in comparison to my Ratliff. With you experience with both an 02 and a 15 model, were the fret sizes different?
    All standard F9’s come with the traditional small fretwire. I did have larger Evo frets installed on my 2015 f9 by Bobby Wintringham in Colorado and he did a great job! But I don’t mind the small fretwire either

I'm playing my F9 - Dec. 19, 2017 David Harvey signed Mando purchased new from TMS in the summer of 2018. I trusted people like you on this forum and the honesty of the folks (Dennis and Bryan) at TMS. I had gone a stretch where I had so many mandolins, one after another - and they were always missing something in the sound... and some were well broken in. I got a great deal on this one because it wasn't selling. It's Desert Burst #2 and yeah, it's not a very attractive color combo with a medium-brown center and darker brown/grey hue burst around the perimeter. It's an ugly duckling for sure! It has the wide nut, which is appreciated by someone that mostly plays a '37 Martin Authentic (2014 - no bake top), 1-3/4" wide nut! I miss the look of the panhandle on the end of the FB, but if this was an A9, burst and sounded like this one I'd love it too! I'm all about the sound and people that play know this one sounds like a Gibson mandolin should. Well done Nashville Cats!!