Thread: NMC: Best resources for Italian beginning bluegrass guitarist?

Default NMC: Best resources for Italian beginning bluegrass guitarist?

I've gotten a guitar playing friend of mine interested in the wonderful world of bluegrass. He's been playing folk, both American and Italian, for a good long while & knows his stuff, but seeing Grisman, Marshall, Rice, Sutton, etc. play really blew his mind. He's ready for something new.

I learned mando from Don Julin's book & mandolessons.com and looked for similar resources for guitar, but didn't really find anything that jumped out at me.

An added bonus would be any Italian resources, as his English is pretty weak. He can manage, but it will be hard work.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, as he's going to be my future picking partner, and I want to get him up to speed ASAP.

Default Re: NMC: Best resources for Italian beginning bluegrass guitarist

Books and DVD's are great, can be a big help, but the first thing I would suggest is saturate yourself with the sound. Listen first to the pioneers of bluegrass guitar. Seep your self in the history and feel of those that started it all. Bluegrass is as much about feeling and emotion as about ability. That is where so many of the wanna bes miss it.after a good dose of Flatt, Waller, Martin, etc then try to learn the mechanics. If he play guitar now that will be the easy part, he already "knows" them he just needs to develop the emotion, the feel of the music. That is true in any style or type of music, but it is very important in bluegrass.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    Books and DVD's are great, can be a big help, but the first thing I would suggest is saturate yourself with the sound. Listen first to the pioneers of bluegrass guitar. Seep your self in the history and feel of those that started it all. Bluegrass is as much about feeling and emotion as about ability. That is where so many of the wanna bes miss it.after a good dose of Flatt, Waller, Martin, etc then try to learn the mechanics. If he play guitar now that will be the easy part, he already "knows" them he just needs to develop the emotion, the feel of the music. That is true in any style or type of music, but it is very important in bluegrass.
    A very good point, mandoplumb. I forgot to mention that I've loaned him a bunch of my CDs of the traditional and the modern giants, and I'm waiting for his response as to what moves him.

For bluegrass guitar, there is an 8 book series called "Flatpicking Essentials". It is the best book CD combo series I have seen, so much so that I recommend it even to those who don't want to play bluegrass. It is that good a resource. Fortunately, you don't actually need all 8 volumes. If a beginner guitarist actually put in the time to work through just the first three books, they would have the skills needed to confidently walk into any jam and play. It is in English, and if you don't read it cover to cover, you will loose out on the flavor, but standard notation and tab (this series gives you both) is universal.

5. The following members say thank you to dwc for this post:

bbcee 

The best Italian flatpicking guitarists are Roberto Dalla Vecchia and the incomparable Beppe Gambetta. Beppe offers instructional cds in Italian and workshops in Italy, splitting his time between Italy and the U.S. He is as fine a player as there is as well as a friendly, warm human being. His website is at : http://www.beppegambetta.com/ and has the instructional cds under products as well as workshop and concert information.

7. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

bbcee 

Thanks 10X guys. I'll look into both resources.