Thread: Stahl mandola

Default Stahl mandola

This is listed as a Stahl Mandolin on Goodwill but it looks like a very good condition early Larson Bros Mandola.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewIte...temID=40567654

If it wouldn't cost me a summer of grief on the home front I'd be all in for this on.( and not be telling you folks till after.)
    And if the high bidder at the moment is on the Cafe...... Sorry for tell'n everyone.

Default Re: Stahl mandola

Except one of the Larson attributes is a one piece back that includes the heel cap if what I've read for years is true.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

what makes you think this is a mandola?

If the approximate overall length is 28 inches, as stated, the scale length is around 16.4 inches.
    Too long for mandolin tuning?
    Last edited by Jacob; Jun-19-2017 at 11:35pm.

Pretty confident on the Mandola part. Every Larson/Stahl Mandola I can find referenced is around 28 inches with a scale length of 16.5 ish inches.
    As for Larson origins,....can't be as sure. It looks very much like the one nmiller described on this site back in 2012.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...others-Mandola

In fact it looks a lot like all of the half dozen or so Larson attributed Mandolas Iv'e found photos of so far. Including the heal cap cover. actually, more than one of those had two piece backs as well, so.... either we're both wrong about that part or I can't for the life of me find a photo of an authentic Larson. I am certainly willing to believe the latter.

I'm just going by the things that have been published over the years. If it has a Stahl label most folks assume it's a Larson product and that isn't always true. I wish they had stamped them
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

It's definitely a Larson creation. It's structurally very similar to mine, which has no label, but has laminated braces and a number of other Larson traits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	158399Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	158400
    www.OldFrets.com: the obscure side of vintage instruments.

Yeah it appears to be the real deal. A Stahl tenor mandola is indeed 28" long and 11" wide. Attached are photos of another. I've played three of these, and they all sounded exceptional. Someone got a great deal on that one. I've seen them go for more than three times that amount.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stahl Mandola grey front.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	369.9 KB 
ID:	158969   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stahl Mandola grey back.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	332.0 KB 
ID:	158970  

Ended up selling for $728.56 plus shipping. Pretty good deal for a Larson, kinda high if it is merely a Stahl, IMHO. The other factor we've (or at least I've brought up) before on this forum is how trusting are you of shopgoodwill.com and their ability to describe an instrument as well as safely pack and take care of shipping details? Not like we are taking about a conservatory or even a vintage guitar shop. We are trusting a fairly major purchase to someone who is probably making $7-8 bucks an hour. Some of their auctions have brought as much as $7K on vintage Gibsons, I've noticed. I would like to hear if anyone has experience with dealing with them and their ability to complete the sale. To me, that is a big "if". Not everyone is cut out for mail order and especially mail order of vintage instruments, IMHO.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Ended up selling for $728.56 plus shipping. Pretty good deal for a Larson, kinda high if it is merely a Stahl, IMHO. The other factor we've (or at least I've brought up) before on this forum is how trusting are you of shopgoodwill.com and their ability to describe an instrument as well as safely pack and take care of shipping details? Not like we are taking about a conservatory or even a vintage guitar shop. We are trusting a fairly major purchase to someone who is probably making $7-8 bucks an hour. Some of their auctions have brought as much as $7K on vintage Gibsons, I've noticed. I would like to hear if anyone has experience with dealing with them and their ability to complete the sale. To me, that is a big "if". Not everyone is cut out for mail order and especially mail order of vintage instruments, IMHO.
    Jeff, I've bought a couple accordions from Shopgoodwill: a nice Paolo Soprani and a very nice Hohner Pokerwork. One came in from WA and the other from IL. Packaging was good in both cases....the Soprani did have a case, but they put some bubble wrap inside it. Same with the Hohner, inside the original box.

I've bought other non-musical items from GW and have had good experiences. YMMV.

Believe it or not, some people who make $7-8 an hour actually take pride in their work and do a good job. Imagine that!

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    ...Believe it or not, some people who make $7-8 an hour actually take pride in their work and do a good job. Imagine that!...
    Yeah, played a farmers' market year before last, tips only, and that was approximately my pay scale. I still took pride, and a small bag of organic vegetables as well.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Oops, I guess that came out wrong......sorry for the implied classism, not intended, of course. I, too, have supported the Goodwill for years and often find cool stuff and once in a while, even an instrument. On eBay, I bought many guitars from the Seattle Goodwill and have always had good luck. Seattle Goodwill runs their own eBay listings separate from Shopgoodwill.com, for example. Shopgoodwill.com is an overriding organization that culls items from various Goodwill stores for the purpose of maximizing profits, (great for the New Yorker who gets to buy from the Omaha Goodwill store online, but not so great for the collector in Omaha who has to bid against others to purchase an instrument in his hometown), you can see my concerns......but, I was mostly concerned with the professionalism and attention to detail as it applies to the shipping a vintage instrument, just as you wouldn't entrust just anyone to ship your art collection or your collection of gold bars.....common sense, IMHO.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    ......but, I was mostly concerned with the professionalism and attention to detail as it applies to the shipping a vintage instrument, just as you wouldn't entrust just anyone to ship your art collection or your collection of gold bars.....common sense, IMHO.
    Not that complicated....just wrap it up.

Mick

Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I do see Grounds for Jeff's concerns. I've bought maybe two dozen instruments from Goodwill over the years but I've never payed more than $150.00 for any of them. Usually much less. ( I like to " rehabilitate " the old trade fiddles etc). If I were paying $1000.00 for something I would certainly be more concerned. That said, I've never received anything from Goodwill that wasn't VERY well packed. They LOVE their bubble wrap!
    To be honest, half the fun I get from shopping on shopgoodwill.com is the descriptions. Not in a mean way. I just enjoy the creative way non musical folks describe musical instruments. True the Descriptions are not always very descriptive, ( The length of the instrument is always more useful than the length of the case...) And the photos are often very bad indeed. ( And not intentionally like on ebay.) But that's the fun for people like me. Figuring out, by the few clues available, if it really is a diamond in the rough. Kind of like ebay was way, way back in the day. I know I would very quickly starve if I were forced to do this for a living. But, like any gambler, If you ask me I'll tell you about that one really good find two years ago until..... well, you have to pretend to get an urgent phone call so you can sneak away.

17. The following members say thank you to oinkstrings for this post:

I have bought a few decent things there. I got a lower-end Vinaccia bowlback for a fairly low price but it did need quite a bit of work.

I did get burned a bit recently when I bought a French mandolin that ended up with a twisted-neck. They would not take it back but offered me some cash which made it a little better. Caveat emptor!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

19. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

[QUOTE=brunello97;1587948]Not that complicated....just wrap it up.

NMC - Re: The Fabulous Thunderbirds video - the guitarist is Jimmie Vaughan, Stevie Ray's older brother; the house in the Hollywood Hills is Liberace's; the year,1986; the gaffer: me.
    Patrick Melly

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patrick Melly For This Useful Post: