Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Eastman Octave

Default Re: Eastman Octave

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Freeman View Post
    Was thinking about the Rubners too. Which set did you choose, and did they drop right in? All screw holes line up? Thanks.
    Hi, I see you never got a response to your question. Were you able to find a set of Rubners that fit without modifications? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Aengus View Post
    Hi, I see you never got a response to your question. Were you able to find a set of Rubners that fit without modifications? Thanks.
    I put the silver with pearl buttons on mine. They dropped right in without any modification. Pretty sure the holes lined up.

One thing though - the tuner button shafts are slightly shorter than the stock tuners. No problems with contact with the headstock. But wanted to point it out in case someone doesn't like the look as much.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

3. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Aengus View Post
    I ended up selling the Eastman octave in favor of a boutique build. Great instrument, though! Had I kept it I likely would've gone with the Rubners. I don't recall the source but was able to confirm they dropped right in without modification. Rubner's customer service rep confirmed that too.

5. The following members say thank you to Doug Freeman for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Freeman View Post
    I ended up selling the Eastman octave in favor of a boutique build. Great instrument, though! Had I kept it I likely would've gone with the Rubners. I don't recall the source but was able to confirm they dropped right in without modification. Rubner's customer service rep confirmed that too.
    The tuner posts will line up but the screw holes most likely will not. Very easy to plug the old screw holes and drill pilot holes for the new ones.

For those using J72 strings, how did you use them on the A string courses? The J72s I bought from Amazon for Mandola were not close to being long enough on the A strings. Could you provide a link to where you bought them? I was able to get all the others on the OM, just not the A strings.

I bought the EJ-72s through Amazon in September 2017. Don't recall any trouble with the strings being long enough. Might've been on the cusp, but they certainly worked out great.

Doug,
    The ones they sell as EJ72 currently are not long enough for the A course I believe. The back of the packaging notes that they are for a scale length of 15.875". It just wasn't enough for the A course in the pack I bought about a week ago.

Follow up, Amazon sent me the wrong strings. J72s came in today and they sound fantastic. Highly recommended! Thanks for all the info and suggestions!

11. The following members say thank you to Jake Biddix for this post:

I know that I am late to the party but I just bought my Eastman MDO305 octave mandolin today and am absolutely amazed with the quality and sound for under AUD$1000. The scale length is longer than I am used to (21 inch vs my current 17 inch) but my fingers compensated quite readily, aided by playing more open strings.
    Things that have impressed me:
    1. Made from solid wood - spruce top, maple sides, ebony fingerboard.
    2. Came out of the box perfectly set up. Plays like butter as one poster said. Intonation down the neck is spot on. It also holds it's tuning well.
    3. The sound is wonderful. The instrument has volume, projection and presence. I played it for a couple of hours today - hard to put down.
    4. The instrument is comfortable to hold. The neck is not heavy as I have noticed in some Trinity mandolas.

If I was to look for some negatives I would agree that the tuners are a bit sticky (might need some oil?) and I really need a clear pickguard to stop my fingernail scratching it when I tremelo. But both of these issues I will hand over to my luthier when I see him next.

I have to congratulate Eastman on this - very impressed. Thank you.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mojocaster For This Useful Post:

Very, very, very nice!
    Thanks for posting.
    “Mandolin brands are a guide, not Gospel “
    - Data Nick

16. The following members say thank you to cayuga red for this post:

Thanks a bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by mojocaster View Post
    Very nice. Is this what I should expect for an Eastman OM's sound? If yes, I might have to think seriously about getting one.
    Sheryl --- Me

This is the sound with the original strings, using a 1.5mm pick and recorded by an iPhone. No treatment other than whatever Youtube may do in terms of compression when you upload. So yeah, it's pretty close to what it sounds like in person, all things considered.

20. The following members say thank you to mojocaster for this post:

Really glad to see so many fans of this OM.I ordered one from the Mandolin Store,arriving today.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Feb-08-2020 at 11:01am.

Quote Originally Posted by mojocaster View Post
    Thanks a bunch!
    Gotta love John Prine! Good job, I like your interpretation of it!

23. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

I really appreciate that! John Prine is a hero of mine, for sure. So I'm always concerned about covering one of this songs. It would hurt my feelings to screw it up too badly