Thread: iPhone recording app

Default iPhone recording app

(I hope this is the appropriate place to post this.) I'm looking for opinions/advice on what is the best iPhone recording app. I don't have, and right now can't afford, actual recording equipment, but I do have mikes and an iPhone (just upgraded). I can get a 1/4"-to-1/8" adapter to use a mike when I record on my iPhone, but...

There are so many darn recording apps in the App Store--which one is the best?

Blog Entries

Default Re: iPhone recording app

Quote Originally Posted by BluesPreacher View Post
    There are so many darn recording apps in the App Store--which one is the best?
    If you just want quick-and-dirty, use the Voice Memos app that (I believe) is built-in. That, or it's a free download from Apple. It's just a voice recorder, no multitrack or anything like that. Good for recording jams, workshops and the like.

If you want to go fancier, GarageBand runs on an iPhone and is free to download. Multiple tracks, effects, pre-loaded rhythm tracks. If I need anything more fancy than what GarageBand offers, I'm not going to do it on a 5" screen.

I've been using the iTalk app for most of my recordings that are just for me or bandmates. There's a free version and a Premium for a couple dollars. Try the freebie. I think you'll find it useful. It's in the App Store or you can see it here.
    http://download.cnet.com/iTalk-Recor...-10908405.html
    "I yam what I yam"

A lot depends upon what you're trying to do. Single track? overdubs?
    If you're trying to use your existing microphones, then your immediate problem is an interface between them and the digital or analog input to the phone.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    A lot depends upon what you're trying to do. Single track? overdubs?
    If you're trying to use your existing microphones, then your immediate problem is an interface between them and the digital or analog input to the phone.
    Yea, I'll want to do some multi-tracking, to record some trios, quartets and such. Maybe some blues on mando with bass and guitar.

So, is there a solution to the interface problem?

I've had some fun with the app DAW Multitrack, info HERE. Amazing what $10 will get you nowadays. But I have just used it with the built in iPhone microphone. For the most part.

If I want something for more than practice and demo use, I have an interface for my computer. But if you're keeping it on the cheap, something like the IK Multimedia iRig Pre Microphone Interface may do the trick, and still be a step up from the iPhone mic.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Thanks, Brad!

Anybody know Ann app similar to Garageband but for Android?