Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Diamond Strings

Default Black Diamond Strings

Sorry if this is a rehash of another thread, but....I played a festival last weekend where Cedar Hill was also playing. I sat in on a workshop with Frank Ray. He's quite a hoot. He said that he uses Black Diamond strings and that he likes them better than other strings he's tried. He agreed that at one point they had a bad reputation, but they have since started making really great strings. Anybody else a fan of Black Diamond? I'm now curious try them.

Default Re: Black Diamond Strings

A Cafe member who,at the time owned a Weber "Fern" like my own, posted thet he'd tried Black Diamond strings (same gauges as EJ74's) on it & they sounded very good. I bought a set,tried them on my Weber & they were a total disaster tonally. 'Hard & bright' are the 2 terms that spring to mind. I took them of & returned to my EJ74's ( J74's at that time).

It only proves what most of us know & understand - not all strings in all gauges of any brand suit all mandolins - you have to try them !.

What make is your mandolin ? - knowing that might help others to recommend a string set for it,but if they take your fancy to try them,go for a set of BD's,that's the ONLY way you'll find out if they suit your mandolin.

GHS A270's suit my Ellis "A" style superbly well,but they sounded like hell on my Weber - or rather the .016" gauge "A" strings did,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

3. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

My favourite line in the song "Church Street Blues" - I can only assume that it fitted the rhyme/meter!

I tried their guitar strings back in the 70's and took them off again a day or two later. I suppose the question should be, who makes them nowadays?

5. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    I suppose the question should be, who makes them nowadays?
    WE MAKE 2 STYLES OF MANDOLIN STRINGS

Still one of the best Larry Cordle songs.

8. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Not sure that means they actually manufacture them.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Guy Clark liked 'em. I guess Emmylou does too

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    Not sure that means they actually manufacture them.
    "Black Diamond is a small custom shop located in Sarasota, Florida. We are musicians making strings for musicians. The strings we make are of the highest quality and are unlike any other brand on the market.
    In our small custom shop in Sarasota, Florida, we produce high-end boutique strings for every fretted instrument."

A friend of mine gave me a set of Black Diamonds that I put on my Northfield and they were great. I really liked the feel and sound and they lasted for quite awhile. I've had some brands I've put on and taken off almost immediately, you just have to try different sets and see for yourself.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Adequate, and available easily is my criteria.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    "Black Diamond is a small custom shop located in Sarasota, Florida. We are musicians making strings for musicians. The strings we make are of the highest quality and are unlike any other brand on the market.
    In our small custom shop in Sarasota, Florida, we produce high-end boutique strings for every fretted instrument."
    OK - who was making them in the 70's? They've quite a reputation to live down to!

From a Mudcat Thread on the history of The National Musical String Company of New Brunswick NJ:
    1970 – The NMSCo is purchased by the Kaman Music Corporation.
    1979 – The NMSCo is renamed the Kaman Musical String Company and moved to Connecticut.
    1982 – The old New Brunswick NMSCo building is declared a national historic landmark and still stands today.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo_37899.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	158679

Well - bigskygirl's post proved my point !. They will suit some instruments superbly well,but not all, as is the case with GHS A270's on my Weber,but they sound terrific on my Ellis.
    Back when i started playing banjo,Black Diamond strings were all you could get over here. Then along came Rotosound strings. It was only when the whole Beatles era crept in on us,that US imports started to arrive in the UK,& we were up to the eyeballs with 'new stuff',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

BD makes a good upright bass string. Fretwell's (Staunton VA) anjusted the sound post on a Czech/German 3/4 laminated bass and tried a number of strings. The BD medium Doghouse the best string for it. This one lasts well, too.

When I was learning to play my first stringed instrument about 55 years ago the only strings available in my town were Black Diamond strings. They were made in New Jersey if I recall. The new Black Diamond strings has no known connection to the old company.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Don't know about the US, Mike, but back in those days, strings were a bit of a problem and we only changed them when they broke. I think "Cathedral" were the only generally available make in the UK and I remember unsuccessfully trying to find a set of "brown" strings to replace those on my red label Yamaha. I bought a Martin guitar in 1973 and d'Addario appeared in 1974 - problem solved.

Nostalgia just isn't what it uesd to be!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray(T) For This Useful Post:

Where I grew up the local drug store had a bin of Black Diamond strings and you just bought the string you needed. Things have changed.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Black Diamond were the only strings my daddy used. When he passed away, I took possession of his Slingerland guitar. When I got it, he had Black Diamond strings on it. In the case, however, was a package of Gibson strings. They were corroded and I have no idea when they were put there They're still in the case.

I put a set of black Black Diamond strings on my Breedlove natural finish Quartz. First, they look cool. The black strings against the lighter-colored mandolin body is very pretty. Second, they actually sound pretty good and are easy to play. It's my back-up mandolin so it doesn't get as much play time as the Breedlove Legacy but I have no problem playing the Quartz with the Black Diamond strings on a gig.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Good tune, anyway:

Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I recall Black Diamond being the only strings I used early on in the mid 1970's. When I started playing again 2 years ago, I was really surprised to see how many makes of mandolin strings there were. Out of curiosity I'd like to try a set. I guess that Strings and More, or one of those places would have them.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

''Cathedral'' strings !!. I'd forgotten all about those. I do remember buying Cathedral banjo strings back in the 1960's. RayT might remember,but the only place that i could be certain of them having one or the other brand in stock,was the well established Manchester music store,Forsyth Bros.,a store that i still visit on occasion.

As soon as i heard about them,i began using Bill Keith ''medium heavies'' on my Antoria banjo,& it sounded pretty good,so good in fact,that i put them on my Stelling banjo as soon as i got it - & destroyed the tone completely !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    As soon as i heard about them,i began using Bill Keith ''medium heavies'' on my Antoria banjo,& it sounded pretty good,so good in fact,that i put them on my Stelling banjo as soon as i got it - & destroyed the tone completely !,
    Ivan
    Banjos are the exception to my "the heavier the better" rule with strings. I'm trying different brands still, but mine sounds best 10,11,13,20,10. I was using 11-22, and it really seems more lively with the lighter set.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    ''Cathedral'' strings !!. I'd forgotten all about those. I do remember buying Cathedral banjo strings back in the 1960's. RayT might remember,but the only place that i could be certain of them having one or the other brand in stock,was the well established Manchester music store,Forsyth Bros.,a store that i still visit on occasion.
    Ivan
    Did Forsyth Bros. sell such common things as fretted instrument strings in those days? It always looked like a dusty old piano shop which could only be entered by classical musicians and I thought the stuff they sell today was a relatively recent innovation. The other music shops in Manchester were Mameloks (also on Deansgate) and Renos and Dawsons on Oxford Road. (i could mention"another place" on Oxford Road but, when a friend of mine had his mandolin stolen, the police told him to go there and look for it!)

Back in the 60s, my local shop was Neild & Hardy in Stockport; which burned down shortly after I bought my first decent mandolin (an Ibanez) from them in 1976.

Hi Ray - They most certainly did,although not too many, & they usually had banjo strings in stock. All the music shops down the old Oxford Road were pretty hit or miss when it came down to banjo strings. When the Folk boom kicked off,''Barratts'' began to stock them,but even they they were into guitars & not much else,although that's where i bought my Antoria 'Mastertone' banjo copy (sort of !) from.

A good friend of mine,Terry Morton,used to work at ''Higham's Harmony House'' on Shuedhill. They stocked banjo strings,so i began buying from them. Knowing that i renovated banjos,they roped me in to re-skin banjo's for customers. I quit when they asked me to fit old drum heads - no way !.

The good old days - Manchester was buzzin' !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ah - it was "Barratts" not "Dawsons". And if you were really desperate, you could go to "Mazels" - A semi-derelict building on London Road next door to UMIST; where they invented "Graphene" and other novelties!