Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I've asked before, but asking again: how to play louder

Default Re: I've asked before, but asking again: how to play louder

Yes, they are primetone picks. I like the rounded one specifically because it is so difficult to get loud volume out of it. It doesn't dig into the strings. It thus forces me to figure out how to get a loud, clear sound without digging in or just trying to play "harder." But ease of use, I like the triangle better. I have a 1.4mm with a rough logo that you can feel. I can also get loud volume from a thin pick as well, though, if I do it right. I may try at the jam all these picks and see if anybody notices the difference.

Hi sbhikes,

Just read your other thread about learning chords and something's set off a light bulb in my head. In your chord post you mention that your mandolin is tuned to CGDA - is this correct?

If so, then tuning down so low on an instrument that's meant to be tuned GDAE may well have a negative impact on your volume? Not sure, as I've never tried it, but tuning 4 whole tones down on every string may well impact on tuning, intonation and volume.

Only a passing thought.

Enjoy the new picks, and good luck with the chords!

Cheers,

Johnny

I play mandolin in regular tuning. I have a strumstick tuned in 5ths I thought I might try to learn some chords on.

The original tuning of the strumstick was GCEA. I replaced the G string with a heavy string, tuned it to C. Tuned the C to a G, the E to a D. So the only string tuned widely off is the C string. The strumstick is just something I bought to take backpacking that is small (smaller than a uke) and light (for backpacking) that has a chromatic fretboard (unlike a regular strumstick that has a diatonic fretboard) and with my re-string, it's tuned in 5ths so I can play it (I don't know how to play the ukulele.) Now when I go hiking if I get earworms I can play them out.

The strumstick is not the instrument I play at the jam. I play a regular mandolin at the jam.

Ah, ok, thanks for explaining.

Have fun learning the chords - a whole new adventure awaits!

One mental trick that I have been using during practice is to imagine Mike Marshall sitting about 20 feet away, evaluating my playing. So, I have to project what I am playing out to him.
    I could have chosen to imagine Emily Ratajkowski, but I didn't really think it through.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!