Thread: 1930 TB2 conversion NMC

Default 1930 TB2 conversion NMC

Just saw in this classified a TB 2 Gibson conversion. Neck is not Gibson, tone ring is not Gibson, doubt if bridge or head is Gibson, reminds me of the story of stone soup. If some one makes a mandolin and puts Gibson on the peg head we condemn the practice. What is the difference really.

Default Re: 1930 TB2 conversion NMC

Some of the banjo experts will chime in, so to speak, but basically there is a lot more latitude given in the banjo world, vs mandolin world. Most sales will include the original tenor or plectrum neck as provenance.

The majority of TB conversions have a neck made by 'another' maker. I only ever saw one TB conversion with a genuine Gibson neck on it.It was a pre-war TB-6 & had been ordered that way,with a Tenor & 5-string neck. When i saw it,it was sporting the 5-string neck but had the Tenor neck with it. It was for sale at the Elderly Instrument stall at the IBMA festival in 1992.

In a 'conversion',i can accept a neck as being non-original,but not the tone ring. In a Gibson banjo,it was the tone ring that gave them the 'Mastertone' name. To simply have the wooden pot,resonator flange,resonator,tension hoop & hooks,doesn't make it a 'conversion' for me. To me it's a 'bitsa' - bitsa this,bitsa that,bitsa 'tother !!. However - that doesn't mean it won't be a terrific banjo,just not a true 'conversion'. Usually a 'conversion' from TB to 5-string means that the 5-string neck is a replacement for the TB neck,everything else is original, & even the stamped Gibson serial #s should match on each part.

From Jeff Mando - "...there is a lot more latitude .." Maybe not as much as you'd think Jeff,although it's a good point.
    Replacing the original tone ring is a bit of a ''no no''. In mandolin terms it's a bit like having the original Gibson neck & replacing the whole body with A.N.Other build,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ivan K's got some good insights. My "best" banjo is a "ball-bearing" Mastertone GB-3 (guitar banjo), with a "diamonds and squares" five-string neck made by a local luthier. He put a "Gibson" logo on the headstock although that part of the instrument isn't Gibson-made.

Gibson Co. would probably frown on another builder using their trademarked name, but in the world of conversions, it's pretty common practice. Forty years ago, a bunch of F-2's and F-4's were "converted" to F-5's by installing new tops and long raised necks (a pretty deplorable thing to do, IMHO, to some lovely Gibson oval-holes). The new headstocks invariably were inlaid with "The Gibson" logos.

So there's a somewhat indistinct line, between building an instrument from scratch and labeling it "Gibson," and taking an indeterminate mixture of Gibson-made and non-Gibson-made components, putting them together, and labeling the result "Gibson." The first is pretty much a no-no, the second is generally considered acceptable.

What if it's just the banjo shell, with a new tone ring, neck, resonator, tuners, tailpiece, etc.? What if installing the new tone ring meant that the shell had to be re-cut to fit it? There's not an enforceable rule of which I'm aware, but clearly, at some point, calling the end product a Gibson is quite a stretch.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

It is the classical "Ship of Theseus" paradox. How many planks in ship can you replace before it is no longer the original ship? How many pieces of a Gibson banjo can you replace before it is no longer a Gibson? I have heard banjo players say that there are three times as many "pre war Gibson banjos" today than when they were produced.

6. The following members say thank you to dwc for this post:

"Yeah, this is the axe Abe Lincoln used. 'Course, it's had four heads and seven handles since then..."
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM