Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: White Mandolins

Default White Mandolins

Hey All -

Would like to get some opinions from the mandolin community about White Mandolins. Recently discovered one here on the Cafe classifieds. Couple of sources to consider below. For anyone who has experience with White Mandolins, please let me know your thoughts. Thank you!!

http://pinehouseguitars.squarespace.com/

https://youtu.be/pEwLOAaolqo
    Gilchrist F5 Mandolin #273, 1993, built for Tom Rozum
    Apitius Vanguard F5 Custom Mandolin 2019
    White Mandola (custom build, expected April, 2023)
    Sumi Sullivan F-5 Mandolin 2003
    Weber Diamondback Octave F-Style Mandolin 2014
    Flatiron Cadet “Army-Navy” Flat Top Mandolin 1987
    Martin HD-28V Guitar 2004

Default Re: White Mandolins

As Mr White has seemingly only built seven mandolins, I posit that you'll be hard-pushed to find people with experience of them. I, too, was drawn to his YouTube link. I expected little, but was blown away by the playing and the tone. Other clips on his website are similarly inspiring, especially the one of White #4. (Despite the heading on the video, it is long since sold):

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we are hearing a lot more about this maker in coming years.

Not to be confused with Peter White mandolins, the New Mexico maker whom Peter Ostroushko favored when I interviewed him around 20 years ago. Back then Ostroushko played a Peter White oval hole model.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mandoglobal View Post
    Would like to get some opinions from the mandolin community about White Mandolins. Recently discovered one here on the Cafe classifieds.
    Did you buy that one? Someone sure snatched it up quickly. It seemed pretty advanced for a 7th build and a lot of instrument for the money in the realm of independently built F5's.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Hey there,
    I am currently the proud owner of White F-5 #6 and have been for a couple of months now. I bought it straight from Tyler, but it was not built custom to my specifications. That being said, it's got about everything I would have asked for in a custom made instrument. It has a carpathian spruce top and sugar maple back/sides/neck. The fit and finish is extremely good, but not perfect (if you get 6" away and are looking for some sort of finish flaw you may find a couple). However, considering this is just the 6th mandolin he's built, I'd say it's well above average and is surely going to get better and better. The mandolin is not a bluegrass machine (and that's not what I was in search of), however, it can certainly hang in a jam. It has a very full and rich tone and sounds great when I play solo, with a fiddler, or with my band (guitar, bass, sometimes banjo, sometimes fiddle). The playability of the mandolin may be my favorite part though, it is one of the best playing mandolins I've ever put my hands on. NFI, just a very satisfied customer. I'll see if I can find some pictures to post of #6.

1924 Gibson A Jr. Snakehead
    2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4724.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	436.0 KB 
ID:	159059Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4727.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	467.5 KB 
ID:	159060Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4733.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	708.7 KB 
ID:	159061

2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trey Young For This Useful Post:

And here are a couple of videos I shot haphazardly upon first receiving the mandolin:

2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trey Young For This Useful Post:

Great sounding and looking mandolin. Thanks for posting the videos. I like the clean tone they have. A few imperfections is doable. That much quality after such a short time at it... My, my....
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I, too, wonder of the OP bought it. The Ad says "sale pending." For the record it is this ad.

A little more about the builder (before the ad disappears):
    This is my 7th mandolin that I've been building on the side to keep for myself, but have recently decided to list it. At this point, I find myself more interested in building them than keeping them. I'll list the specs below!

- Engelmann spruce top
    - Red maple back, sides, and neck
    - Grover 309 tuners with ebony buttons
    - Standard Gibson style tailpiece
    - Evo gold fret wire
    - 12" radius fingerboard
    - Thin lacquer finish
    - Come in a shaped hard case
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

GNARLY mando for the $$$, I think the OP the one I watched anyway had great tone, and hidden power! I'll say it again there are so many great builders out there anymore its just nuts! I'd be happy with a # of any of em but for now I'll stick with what I have but at his prices

Hey even on old Gibson F-5's there are serious flaws! But I'll say it again it should all be about the sound, I dont care about lookwise perfection as long as there is the sounds!

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Did you buy that one? Someone sure snatched it up quickly. It seemed pretty advanced for a 7th build and a lot of instrument for the money in the realm of independently built F5's.
    No, sadly I did not...but I was stunned at the tonal qualities. Must hvae one.
    As for imperfections, I really don't care....I mean, look at Monroes mandolin.....I'd snatch that up in a hot second. Sound before beauty.

14. The following members say thank you to mandoglobal for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Young View Post
    And here are a couple of videos I shot haphazardly upon first receiving the mandolin:

Fantastic sound (and tunes well played!) Man, I'm probably gonna lose sleep over the White tonight. MAS deep within my soul.

16. The following members say thank you to mandoglobal for this post:

Huge mando/$ ratio. Tyler White seems to have a lot of it figured out already. I was VERY impressed by Trey's #6 and Tyler's video of #7.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

My only concern is that I'm a pretty hard jammin bluegrass dude, and much of what ive seen has been a softer playing style. Regardless, I definitely hear a roar waiting to be released from all the recordings. Also really like the idea if having a softer side that I haven't experimented with much. Might be the perfect find. Now, if I can get him to build me one....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandoglobal View Post
    My only concern is that I'm a pretty hard jammin bluegrass dude, and much of what ive seen has been a softer playing style. Regardless, I definitely hear a roar waiting to be released from all the recordings. Also really like the idea if having a softer side that I haven't experimented with much. Might be the perfect find. Now, if I can get him to build me one....
    I already said "hidden power" in my earlier post and all mandos have this just some better than others and White has it! I can tell tell from the tone/voice from the video posted... I don't think I'm Krazy!!!

RE Trey Young’s post 6 & 7 above.

Looks pretty durn good for being [only] #6.

And it sounds fine, too, even as a new instrument.

Methinks Mr. White has a good future ahead of him as a mandolin maker.

Mandoglobal,
    I actually exchanged messages with Tyler yesterday and he mentioned that while his mandolins this far tend to be closer in qualities to mine, he thought #7 has a bit more of a bluegrass tone to it than it's predecessors. As far as the fit and finish part, I was paraphrasing what Tyler told me when I was talking to him about purchasing the mandolin. The fit and finish is actually very good. He just was telling me it wasn't going to be on the level of say an Ellis, Gilchrist, Heiden, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

And thanks for the kind words guys!
    Last edited by Trey Young; Jul-13-2017 at 10:46pm. Reason: Additional Thougts

I think they're really fine sounding mandos. And I said this before this thread existed.

Great points made, all. I've been chatting with Tyler a bit myself over the last couple days. He's got 7 on order now, which has him booked out till next spring. I live in Chicago (went to grad school at IU in Bloomington where Tyler's shop is) and we're visiting family in Southern Indiana end of the month. Plan now is to visit Tyler on the way through and get a White in hand for a bit. If all the above is confirmed in person, I'll likely have one built. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Young View Post
    Mandoglobal,
    I actually exchanged messages with Tyler yesterday and he mentioned that while his mandolins this far tend to be closer in qualities to mine, he thought #7 has a bit more of a bluegrass tone to it than it's predecessors. As far as the fit and finish part, I was paraphrasing what Tyler told me when I was talking to him about purchasing the mandolin. The fit and finish is actually very good. He just was telling me it wasn't going to be on the level of say an Ellis, Gilchrist, Heiden, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

And thanks for the kind words guys!
    I get what you're saying. They really are beauties!!

I don't post very often but I thought I'd chime in to say I'm the proud owner of White #5.Tyler was such a pleasure to work with. We talked about the build throughout the whole process. I have another instrument on order so I have another one to look forward to. Here are a few videos Tyler made of my mandolin before he shipped it. I think Solly Burton lives near Tyler so he gave it a test ride.

26. The following members say thank you to Kirk Pey for this post:

Hey Trey. After rereading up above I realized I plagiarized your proud owner phrase. Enjoyed your playing. I like the look of mine so much that sometimes when I walk past it I'll pick it up just to look at it. Best E string of all my mandolins.

Hey Kirk, no worries man, if the phrase fits-use it! Thanks for the kind words too! Just out of curiosity, what do you have ordered with Tyler

You're welcome Trey. I actually have a guitar bodied octave on order for my daughter. It's Tyler's first one so he said he needs some time to do his homework on it.From my experience with Tyler I expect it to be great.

Oh wow, I've been lusting after a GBOM. Looks like I need to talk with Tyler...,