Thread: Apitius #117 Review (Long)

Default Apitius #117 Review (Long)

In November of 2016 I saw Dave Benedict’s video of him playing Waltzing Matilda his new Apitius. I was blown away by the tone, and try as I might I could not get it out of my mind. I had no real need for a new mandolin, my Gibson F5-G custom from The Mandolin Store is a cannon, everyone who plays it says the same. But there are a few things I would do differently if I were ordering from scratch, and I saw this as a chance to get a great sounding mandolin, built the way I wanted, at what I considered to be a very fair price. It was a big leap of faith ordering it without ever playing one, but I figured if they were good enough for players like Dave Benedict and Dan Tyminski, that it was worth the risk.

The relationship between buyer and builder is a critical component when ordering a custom mandolin, and Oliver receives straight As in this area. We exchanged multiple emails at first, then had a phone call before he started the build. He sent me regular updates and was very upfront throughout the entire cycle from ordering to delivery. Early on he wrote to say that a spot ahead of me had opened up, so my ship date got bumped up a bit.

When it came time to ship the mando in late June, I knew I would be on vacation the week of July 4th. Of course I didn’t want it sitting in the hot Texas sun, either on my porch or in a warehouse, so we decided that Oliver would ship it on July 5th. Well, as luck would have it, it cleared customs in record time, and was showing to be out for delivery on Friday the 7th. I called UPS and had them hold it at the warehouse.

Unfortunately, when I opened it on Monday the 10th, the top had a couple of dime sized blemishes in the finish, what I thought were scratches from the packing material. I immediately contacted Oliver, and when light buffing did not remove, he got on the phone and after several attempts found someone local he trusted to touch up the French Polish. I got it back a few days ago, and I can’t see where the repair was. Hard to beat that. Even though Oliver offered to pay, both he and the repair guy seemed to think the damage was from the heat, so I paid for it. It was only $100, very reasonable for the time and skill, IMHO.

Now for the actual review of the mandolin. As for fit and finish, I give it a 98 out of 100. Oliver does great work, and I really have to be nitpicky looking for flaws. The worst thing I can find is that the fret dots are not perfectly centered on the purling. To me, that means is it was made by a human, not a robot.

The sound? Well, it simply blows me away. It sounds very similar to Dave’s in the above video. The difference between this and the Gibson is that while the Gibson may be just a hair louder, the Apitius is way ahead on midrange clarity. It’s hard to me to describe, but the midrange is more bell like, instead of being a bit muddy. That was what impressed me the most about Dave Benedict’s video, and this one has it in spades. And of course this is while it’s still brand spanking new and not even settled yet. I’m sure it will improve with age.

I also like the neck, we discussed having a slightly lesser V than the Gibson, and that’s what I got. The top is 20 year old stock that he bought from Roger Siminoff’s private stock when he retired. Oliver said “this has got the best strength to weight ratio of any spruce I have ever had.” Other than that, it’s the standard Vanguard model, with Waverly tuners added. I had to order the pearl buttons separately from StewMac because they don’t ship to Canada, but to me they were a must have item. The tailpiece in the picture was one I already had from Weldon Lister, I took it off the Gibson and sent it to Oliver early on.

I wish I had the means to record it to give it justice. I don’t, but it sounds just as good, if not better than Dave’s. But I can definitely say I’m a happy guy.

The one thing I wish I had changed is to get a different case. This is a fine instrument, and in my mind, it deserves a fine case. It came in a TKL Professional, it’s just an average case, and it’s got a bit too much slop in it for me. I’ll probably end up selling it and get something else. If I could go back in time, I would have probably paid the extra money to ship in in a Thinsulate lined Hoffee with a Colorado insulated cover.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	290.8 KB 
ID:	159674Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	329.7 KB 
ID:	159675
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Austin Bob For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Apitius #117 Review (Long)

Congratulations on the new mando and on being a good enough mandolinist to appreciate it and all its subtleties! Play it in good health!

4. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Congratulations!

We got our son one of Oliver's mandolins last year that was built in 1994. Incredible mandolin! It has a mature open woody tone that is very musical. Great bluegrass chop but can also excel in many different genres. It just fits my son's playing style perfectly. Oliver contacted us through here when he saw that we had acquired it and I can attest that he is a stand up nice guy.

Here are a couple of videos to give you an idea of the tone.

Here is a link to the post when we got it https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...hlight=apitius

Enjoy it in good health
    John
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

6. The following members say thank you to Denman John for this post:

I remember reading that post John, great story.

Hi Bob - Firstly, congratulations on your new mandolin - it looks terrific !. Oliver's mandolins are well known for their build quality & their superb tone. Regarding the 'midrange clarity',that's what i've always thought of as a 'modern tone',against the 'older tones' of the Gibsons. I think such mandolins don't 'really need' huge power,as they project very well.
    Thumbs up to you for paying for the slight re-finish - i'd have done the same,after all it was accidental & no fault of Olivers.

As for a case for it - don't overlook the Travelite cases. OK,they're not 'glam.' by any means,but of the 3 cases i own,i'd trust any of my 3 mandolin in the Travelite more that the other 2 cases,one of which is a First Quality/TKL 'American Vintage' rectangular case,built to FQ's own specs. I believe that Mike Marsall still hauls his Loar around in a Travelite as well - me & Mike can't both be wrong !,
    Ivan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F5 in new case1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	159679 Photo courtesy of Cafe Member Ron McMillan. That seemingly small centre 'bits 'n pieces' compartment is deep & holds a lot.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

9. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Thanks Ivan. The refinishing was really no big deal. That's one of the features Oliver talks about on his website; how easy French Polish it is to touch up. Stuff happens, but it's fixed now. That's all I was worried about.

I know from reading your past post that you're a big Travelite fan, however they don't seem to be readily available right now. Anyone know the story?

11. The following members say thank you to Austin Bob for this post:

Hi Bob,
    Thanks for the detailed account of your new acquisition. It looks great. Looking forward to hearing a sample.
    I have two great cases and recommend them both for different situations. The Northfield Airloom is a great case for normal mandolin life. It is light, well built, has ample storage, nice fit, and great classy look. It is fiberglass, but not stiff enough for heavy handed treatment. I fear that the top is not stiff enough to resist any real crush force. My touring case is a Gary Price teardrop. It is quite stout, and as heavy as a banjo. The storage is a little cramped but you can get everything in there. I like the Price more than the Caltons I've seen, but I've not seen one of the new versions. My Price case is ten years old at this point, and shows lots of wear that would have destroyed weaker cases, and thus probably the cradled mando. I play in a band that has played approximately 1400 gigs in the last decade, with lots of miles, load ins and alcohol lubricated load outs. It's easy to relax when a band mate hauls your case to the rig when you know it can resist the inevitable oops.
    The down side to both are the cost approx $400 Airloom, and $800 Price, but holding $5-$10k, it is a reasonable investment for keeping the mando alive and well.
    Happy pickin
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

13. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Do enjoy your new friend. O.A. does excellent work ..... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

15. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Congrats Bob!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

17. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

Hi Bob - From a thread not too long ago,the Travelite cases were pretty scarce in the US. Musicians Friend state that they'll be available Aug.28th '17 :- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...-mandolin-case.

Matt above says his 10 year old Price case shows a lot of wear - my 11 year old Travelite shows precisely none at all. There's nothing to scratch or scuff up, & the Ballistic Nylon outer covering is as tough as hell !. However,cases are a matter of personal taste,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Just to clarify, my Price case with wear has been used as a travel case with a busy band, loaded into a band van with all the gear, frequently wedging amongst speakers to shore up the load. It's been dropped and smashed. During 1400+gigs every piece of equipment has worn out with only a few exceptions (Tama mic stands, actually they're drum cymbal stands, are the best)

I did a fun math problem...if I've spent 5 minutes loading, unloading, carrying mando to gig site, reloading case into the rig, after 1400 gigs, that's 116hrs of case wear, thus the inevitable drop and clunk that lead to my case wear. The rivets on the case feet are failing(Gary has offered to warranty)
    Ivan, I fear a travelite would have worn heavily in my lineup.
    Last edited by MontanaMatt; Aug-02-2017 at 8:51am. Reason: Typo
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

20. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

Thanks for the review Bob.

I thought I'd post this poster I made of your mandolin #11717. 'seein' as how you're from the great state of Texas, I gave it a Texas vibe in your honor.

Regarding cases, while I highly endorse the idea of getting a higher quality case and I believe that a Hoffee with a thinsulate lining would be very useful in your part of the world, I don't think that it would have prevented the heat damage to the finish in this case, which was likely incurred during it's two days in an un-airconditioned warehouse during 100 degree outdoor temperatures. Just as a thermos bottle can only keep drinks cool for so long. (BTW if you are interested in a good deal on a Hoffee case, you know how to contact me)

I don't feel there is anyone to blame for the situation. In the last two years, I have never had a mandolin make it that far south in 3 days. All the others have been held up for at least a day for customs clearance. I have been working with UPS brokerage on the issue and I guess they are getting to know my shipments. Anyway, I appreciate you picking up the tab and I'm so glad the touch-up went perfectly. Kudos to Micah Bruce!

Wishing you all the best Bob. It was a pleasure working with you!
    www.apitiusmandolins.com

What is good Phaedrus? and what is not good?, need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oliver A. For This Useful Post:

Thanks Oliver, that is a cool poster, I want one!

I actually have a Hoffee with Thinsulate, plus an added insulated Colorado cover. We sometimes to out to eat after I play in church on Sunday, and that can lead to shopping, etc. But I agree that even the best insulation will only slow down the transfer of heat.

Like I said above, stuff happens, and I agree that it was no one's fault, just a perfect set of circumstances.

24. The following members say thank you to Austin Bob for this post:

Here's a link to a high-rez version of the poster if you or anyone else would care to print it. You should be able to have it printed up to 24" X 14" at good quality.

http://i.imgur.com/LDOH9zM.jpg

Enjoy!
    www.apitiusmandolins.com

What is good Phaedrus? and what is not good?, need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

My old Duff came in a Travelite case, great protection and all. My problem with these type cases is that you can't keep humidity in them. Same as my GS mini case. I like the Hoffee, virtually air tight.. you get the room up to humidity with the case open, when you close the lid, it ain't gonna lose moisture..