Thread: Gibson goldrush

Default Gibson goldrush

Hi there
    I' a lucky owner of a Gibson goldrush signed dave Harvey sept 2015.
    Just to well understand, can this mandolin be called a master Model ?
    Previously I had an F5G that had label with written master Model as well, but they are mandolins absolutely different, I think...

Thank for you help

Manolo from Italy

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gibson goldrush

It is not a 'Master Model' in the sense that they now use that term... but it still has a 'Master Model' label.

Confusing. I know! That is the way of Gibson, however.

It is approximately equivalent to an F5-Fern (with some cosmetic and other slight differences).

Your Goldrush should be a fantastic mandolin. They are beautiful, and those I have played have been equally nice in tone and volume. Congratulations!
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

PS: Please post some photos when you can. I'm sure we'd all like to see it
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Here's Charlie Derrington on that matter (from "mandozine" interview; 2001 or 2002?):

The reason all Gibson mandolins have the Master Model label is a bit cumbersome to explain. But I'll certainly give it a try.

Gibson invented the F-5. The Master Model instruments originally included the H-5, L-5, F-5, and K-5. Of course the H-5 and K-5 were dropped from the line and the L-5 followed a different evolutionary path.

I think what I'm trying to say is Gibson has a long history of producing the F-5 Master Model. The Loars were Master Models as were the Ferns of the 20s. Our high-end mandolins have a tradition of having that Master Model line label designation. It is historically correct to have that label in every F-5 style instrument we build. Really, would you be happy if your Fern didn't have the historically correct label?

I know it is a bit confusing to have a Master Model line and a Master Model. But, that is the historically correct thing to do. I know there would have been much unhappiness with our customers and dealers if we didn't have the correct label in all of our mandolins and all of our mandolins trace their history back to one model. The alternative would be to have historically incorrect labels in all of our mandolins save one. I think it is quite easy to remember if you look on the label for the model designation (and not on the printed portion of the label) it will be quite easy to tell the difference. Also remember, unless I personally sign the upper label, it's not a Master Model.

The only other alternative would be to produce only one model of mandolin which, I think we would all agree, wouldn't be feasible.

Whew!! I hope that answer will suffice.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hendrik Ahrend For This Useful Post:

Henry E.,
    I see why they kept the Master Model name for the the line, but that does not explain why they named the new (at that time) model Master Model. They could have used any other name to distinguish it. They could have called it "The Loar", whoops, that was taken.
    Sorry for the poor humor. I know, don't give up your day job. But the concept was there, anything but reusing Master Model.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

My TL tenor lute has the "Master Model" label. For no apparent reason, since it's basically a mandola with a long, four-string neck.

It was (not too successful) Loar design, so maybe all the instruments he designed got the label. Or, maybe not... In any case, the label was applied in a more widespread fashion, than just on the iconic "5 series" instruments.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thank you all for your support at this lazy summertime question...

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    Henry E.,
    I see why they kept the Master Model name for the the line, but that does not explain why they named the new (at that time) model Master Model. They could have used any other name to distinguish it. They could have called it "The Loar", whoops, that was taken.
    Sorry for the poor humor. I know, don't give up your day job. But the concept was there, anything but reusing Master Model.
    They could have called it "F5". But after all, what's in a name?

Registered User Robert Mitchell's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
    Here's Charlie Derrington on that matter (from "mandozine" interview; 2001 or 2002?):

The reason all Gibson mandolins have the Master Model label is a bit cumbersome to explain. But I'll certainly give it a try.

Gibson invented the F-5. The Master Model instruments originally included the H-5, L-5, F-5, and K-5. Of course the H-5 and K-5 were dropped from the line and the L-5 followed a different evolutionary path.

I think what I'm trying to say is Gibson has a long history of producing the F-5 Master Model. The Loars were Master Models as were the Ferns of the 20s. Our high-end mandolins have a tradition of having that Master Model line label designation. It is historically correct to have that label in every F-5 style instrument we build. Really, would you be happy if your Fern didn't have the historically correct label?

I know it is a bit confusing to have a Master Model line and a Master Model. But, that is the historically correct thing to do. I know there would have been much unhappiness with our customers and dealers if we didn't have the correct label in all of our mandolins and all of our mandolins trace their history back to one model. The alternative would be to have historically incorrect labels in all of our mandolins save one. I think it is quite easy to remember if you look on the label for the model designation (and not on the printed portion of the label) it will be quite easy to tell the difference. Also remember, unless I personally sign the upper label, it's not a Master Model.

The only other alternative would be to produce only one model of mandolin which, I think we would all agree, wouldn't be feasible.

Whew!! I hope that answer will suffice.
    All my gibsons over the years,,had the master model label as stated,,,no matter the A9,F9 F12 ECT. WRITTEN DESCRIPTION.
    Reading this ,,prompted me to check my 2015 F5G,,,and behold,,,,the printed label says,,THE GIBSON ARTIST MODEL,,
    I had not ever seen this type before,, the upper label is signed by DAVE HARVEY ,,so I'm wondering if theres been a change with regard to the info in this thread??Or is since 2012 reintro of the F5G?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images  2012 F5GGGGGGGGG.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	159941
    Last edited by Robert Mitchell; Aug-11-2017 at 8:45am.
    MITCH

GIBSON 2016 F9 CUSTOM
    WEBER YELLOWSTONE 2011 F5
    WEBER YELLOWSTONE 2005 F5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    My TL tenor lute has the "Master Model" label. For no apparent reason, since it's basically a mandola with a long, four-string neck.

It was (not too successful) Loar design, so maybe all the instruments he designed got the label. Or, maybe not... In any case, the label was applied in a more widespread fashion, than just on the iconic "5 series" instruments.
    Allen, I've said this but I really think the tenor lutes were supposed to get a Loar signature label, they were going to be mandolas but the banjo craze was in so they had to change it and Loar left, no I don't know the facts on the dates of the tenor lutes serial,fon# dates and Loars departure but I know Loar had a tenor lute with a 10 string mandola neck on it, I've seen it in the archive and there is also that famous photo of him holding it at his workbench surrounded by parts and a mess of virzi's! I don't know if that has a signature of his? I should do better research before I post! But thats my theory. There were mostly 4 string lutes but some did have 8 strings!
    I know some guys that have converted these to mandolas and they've turned out great and sound the part/look the part! I'd love to get my hands on one for a conversion, there is actually one on reverb right now that was the great guitar player from SNL-G.E. Smith but its just to clean and I think pricy by way too much, maybe 5G? Should only be worth 2500-3 in my opinion. But his is very clean. I'd want one beat up cause thats what I buy for mandolins anyway, I don't like pristine. Sometimes it costs way too much for "LOOKS" and for me its about sound and a great deal.
    Last edited by William Smith; Aug-11-2017 at 8:30am.