Thread: Suspected "Cuckoo" banjo mandolin

Default Suspected "Cuckoo" banjo mandolin

I have an old banjo mandolin that has been with me for 32+ years, and before that other was my great uncle's (he passed it on to me before he died.)
    Would love to know what, if any, history is behind it or the maker. Would anyone be able to clarify what 'breed' it is?

http://s59.photobucket.com/user/insa...tml?sort=3&o=0

Default Re: Suspected "Cuckoo" banjo mandolin

Did your great uncle spend any time in the UK?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

And you say "suspected Cuckoo" why? Instrument looks UK-made for sure, but as far as I know, most Cuckoo mandolin banjos have been found -- possibly made -- in Australia -- or at least imported to Australia from England. Here's a fairly recent thread on Cuckoo mandolin banjos.

So: are you in Australia? The Cuckoo banjos found there often had tailpieces marked "English Make" or "English Made." The tailpiece on yours is unusual, but here's an Australian eBay listing for an unmarked mandolin banjo with a similar tailpiece.

If you do a Google search on "English banjo mandolin" you can find images of instruments with the same tailpiece; one is ID'ed as a Houghton, but it's not otherwise similar to yours, and it's labeled. I think it's safe to say that the preponderance of evidence is British manufacture, and the other Cuckoo instruments appear to have been labeled, so not sure yours is a Cuckoo.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I thought it looked very similar to an instrument I found on Gumtree for sale, with the description Cuckoo and the same tailpiece.
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/anne...lin/1153741209
    The eBay link you provided shows a much tidier version of what looks like mine.
    I do live in australia, pretty sure great uncle was of British descent, but not sure if he bought it brand new or was given to him by someone else again.

It looks like a UK made mandolin banjo. You may never be able to positively ID the maker as these were made in large numbers with no brand name on them. They apparently followed the same business model as the US where manufacturers would build instruments "for the trade" with no brand name so retailers, teachers, or music schools could sell them as their own brand. Finding one with a brand name on it doesn't guarantee that's the company that built it.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thanks so much for your insights everyone
    much appreciated x

7. The following members say thank you to bundy4670 for this post: