Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Case Company status

Default Colorado Case Company status

Does anyone know what's going on with the Colorado Case Company? Their website was up and running 2 weeks ago, but is now down and the phone number is out of service. I sent them a drawing for a custom case cover just last week and it has been returned to me because the address is no longer valid.

Thanks......

Blog Entries

Default Re: Colorado Case Company status

Don't know the answer to your question but simply here to tell you we removed all links we had pointing to them at least a week or more ago and consider them no longer in business. We employ a software tool that identifies broken links, new redirects and other like issues on the site daily and it started showing them no longer there awhile back. These are sometimes temporary problems so we make note, but after they continue for a week or more then we act on them. I'd say the fact your mail to them was returned seals the fact they are no more.

What a shame. I have four of their custom covers as well as several soft cases and have always been impressed with the work. Is there a comparable custom product from another company?

Interested and following. I need a case cover too and have been unsuccessfully trying to reach Colorado Case. Hopefully it's just a temporary thing and they will back up and running soon.

I read this thread and then emailed Jeff Hoffee. I have a Hoffee case on order for a guitar and had included a Colorado cover in that order. Yup ... Colorado Case Company is no more. Jeff is working with someone to provide him with covers to his specs and that arrangement may be going when my case gets built.

Sad to see that since Colorado acquired Small Dog, those case covers are a thing of the past as well.

Incidentally, Jeff Hoffee has been great to deal with during this case order.

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Ryk, thanks. Did Jeff say what alternative company he is using? Anyone else know of viable alternatives to Colorado Case Co?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewF5 View Post
    Ryk, thanks. Did Jeff say what alternative company he is using? Anyone else know of viable alternatives to Colorado Case Co?
    Andrew ... no he didn't. My reading of his email is that they're in the process of working out the details now.

Ryk

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

My Small Dog more than paid for itself in protection to my A3 case! I love that case cover!

I'm a bit surprised too!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

9. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Back in June, when their website indicated that they were not currently taking orders, I emailed CCC to ask when they might start taking orders again and received the reply "we will let you know when we get everything figured out." Never heard anything from them after that.

I think I remember reading that the original owner of CCC sold to someone else a few years ago and that quality after that was by some accounts not quite the same.

EDIT
    Good to hear CCC quality was not an issue. I hope problems get sorted out.
    Last edited by jesserules; Aug-23-2017 at 7:01pm. Reason: reply to updates

Quote Originally Posted by jesserules View Post
    I think I remember reading that the original owner of CCC sold to someone else a few years ago and that quality after that was by some accounts not quite the same.
    You are right about the sale but given my experience with them on two custom case covers while the new owners were running it you're wrong about quality. We have four Colorado covers here, two from each time frame, and the newer ones are every bit as good, if not better, than the older ones. And they were more than willing to modify the covers to my needs. Delivery time was a bit of an issue and while speaking with the owner once while waiting for a cover he mentioned that his problem was finding help.

Ryk

Blog Entries

The owner recently had an add for small dog covers and I picked up 6 "I think" brand new ones to use on MModel and Paganoni cases at a super great deal! Way below what they originally cost. Its too bad if they are a thing of the past. I bought my 1st small dog in 01 at Grey Fox and its been used heavily and is still like new, no rips/scuffs. Great product!

14. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

I hope they manage to hang i. Their product quality was every bit as good & their customer service far superior to the original owner who gave me the complete run around over an 'authorized' return on a warranty issue.

Sorry to hear this. I have a insulated Colorado Case cover to go with my Hoffee case with Thinsulate - you can't have too much thermal protection in Texas.

The cover has held up very well the last 5 years, with two to three outings a week. It's dirty, and the label is worn, but other than that it is in great shape. No rips or tears, and the zipper is going strong.

I hope they find a way to survive, their products were great.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

That news is sad; they made a great product that works well. I do hope someone will continue their work. The insulated covers are essential for temperature extremes. Plus they hold lots of stuff. Very good products... Doug in Vermont

I just received a case cover I ordered from Mooradian. Nice people, nice product. So that's an option.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaBill View Post
    I just received a case cover I ordered from Mooradian. Nice people, nice product. So that's an option.
    I just went to their web site. There's no mention whatsoever about mandolins. They say they make custom cases but I see a lot of $$$$ with that option.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Send them an email and talk to them about what you need. I found them very helpful, and the price was not out of line.

I’ve become obsessed with case covers lately and have a few pieces of info:
    - the Morodian case covers are primarily for classical instruments. I’ve found that the Viola sized cover fits most mandolin sized cases without issue. They sell a “shaped” cover and “oblong” cover
    - I own an open back banjo soft case from Blue Heron cases in CA. That might be a resource worth calling. Customer service and quality are both excellent.
    - finally, I wonder who Northfield has producing the covers for their new Heirloom cases? They look quite nice from the pictures I’ve seen.

I went the Morodian route as my kids both play strings and I have access to a great shop for violins and such. They stock Morodian and I was able to try my Calton in the Viola case cover. Fit is snug but for about $140 it gets the job done, has back[ack straps and a big front pocket.

Good luck!

22. The following members say thank you to MissingString for this post:

Mooradian also makes great gig bags for guitars, both acoustic and electric. Nice folks. Never hurts to ask.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Blog Entries

This should permanently put to bed the question whether Colorado Case Company will ever rise again.

We've been having a conversation with a long-time contractor that did work for CCC who shared her side of the story. I'm not going to share her name as I don't see that is necessary but she gave us the OK to share what we wished. I asked for the definition of "liquidated" as used in her last email and it does indeed mean the equipment that made up the company is scattered to many different owners. Here's the story, everything we've chosen to include, with a name or two and an email address removed.

---------------------

We will go back many years….

I started working as a contractor for CCC back in the mid 90’s when Barb Liebeler(the founder) owned the company. She was in Loveland and I was in Fort Collins. For different reasons, she decided that she needed to be closer to me so she wasn’t driving so much. She moved the business to Fort Collins and the business grew. There were other seamstresses too that worked as contractors, although they came and went. At some point I started doing all the SOFT CASES and Cynthia Bigelow made all the CASE COVERS. The business was never a big money maker, although she had great products…Costly errors and custom items were the downfall, in my opinion.

Time passed and Barb sold the company to Gordon Young. Gordon thought he could come in and work it for a couple of years and flip it…NOT! He did however purchase a computerized pattern making machine that cut down on the amount of errors by a huge percentage. Anyway, he sold it to Steve Simmons, who thought he could pick it up for a “song” and make a fortune…NOT!…Steve purchased Cavallaro and Small Dog brands to add to the Colorado Case line. Kinda bit off a big chunk and it was tough to chew. Time went on and skimming a bit too much off the top and not enough people skills to keep the home front smooth and happy was part of the downfall there. So…..Steve, amazingly sold to Chuck Grewe. The problems were hidden and far too great for Chuck to bring it around.

I worked as a contractor for all four owners and looked at buying the business at 3 different times from 3 different owners but the business always struggled to keep just above the drowning point. Not a project that I wanted to put that much time and capital into. So sad as it was I watched as it went under. Chuck liquidated, I cried, and I’m still sad that it’s gone. I still sew and have my own business to run and I don’t have the time to pick up the pieces and make musical instruments cases.

One of the other seamstresses that was actually an employee is starting to work with Jeff Hoffe on recreating his products and hopefully it will grow into something more. There is a learning curve there so it will take some time. I talked to her and she may eventually be able to help some of your people.

Barb Liebeler passed away several years ago (brain tumor) and Steve Simmons passed away unexpectedly about 2-3 years ago.

Thanks for letting me tell the story as there was no-one else that had seen it from almost the beginning all the way through to the very end.

25. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanx
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Many thanks for the full story. It's a shame that the people who were Cavallaro/Small Dog back in Boston couldn't bring back the brand they had created. They were great to do business with. I know Jeff Hoffee is very interested in having covers made for his products so there is some hope there.
    Ryk

Quite the story, thanks.

I've had many of the Small Dog/CCC products over the years, down to one now, a fleece-lined cover for a shaped tweed-colored Guardian case, which is ideal for festival toting. My first Small Dog was purchased from Jim Rohrer's company back in the day.

29. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Thanks for sharing. I've had their case cover on my Calton for probably 12 years now and it's still doing a great job.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85