Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I took the Tone-Gard off my mandolin. And a Lloyd Loar tidbit.

Default Re: I took the Tone-Gard off my mandolin. And a Lloyd Loar tidbit

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0041.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	632.6 KB 
ID:	160351
    I have lost his card. Welding instructor at technical school in Tulsa. Maybe some other cafe member has contact info. Stainless solves some problems.
    Mike Snyder

2. The following members say thank you to Mike Snyder for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post

I have lost his card. Welding instructor at technical school in Tulsa. Maybe some other cafe member has contact info. Stainless solves some problems.
    That would be awesome!

Southeast Vermont - take your pick of snow or ticks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I disagree. Did you ever wonder why the "prettiest" part of the mandolin, the book-matched and figured back wood, doesn't face the audience? It is for the owner to enjoy. To glance down, and say to oneself, "I own this gorgeous work of art!"

Or said another way, why does everyone need to be so loud? Why does every vibration need to be transferred into volume? It's OK for a little vibration to be "wasted" against the owner's belly, IMHO. Kinda like a reassuring pat on the tummy! Nice!
    All fair points, but the beauty isn't at all obliterated by the TG, you still see it. You are also protecting that back, if the preciousness of it is the main concern, and lastly,
    It has nothing to do with being loud. In fact,
    I prefer to play quietly, and that's where the difference is greatest. Nice, fat tone without having to go for volume.

Have you ever tried a TG, or are you just opposed in principle? Honest question, I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Or said another way, why does everyone need to be so loud? Why does every vibration need to be transferred into volume? It's OK for a little vibration to be "wasted" against the owner's belly, IMHO. Kinda like a reassuring pat on the tummy! Nice!
    Is that a serious question? Do you ever play with a group of people, like in a jam? Mandolins do have to compete for volume against fiddles and banjos.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    Is that a serious question? Do you ever play with a group of people, like in a jam? Mandolins do have to compete for volume against fiddles and banjos.
    Reminds me of that line from Trading Places, "nothing you've seen in your life can prepare you for the unbridled carnage you're about to witness."

Blog Entries

I often get the feeling that people can get too hung up on being for or against some bits of kit.
    I like what these let people do and how they can overcome issues people have with letting the back of the mandolin become damped due to their hold. My personal preferences tend towards eliminating any unnecessary clutter and bolt-ons from my mandolins. These just wouldn't have a purpose with my hold, just like a strap wouldn't make sense for me to use. But I'd no more be set against their use than against someone using a stick to help them get about. Heck if it overcomes an issue without having to relearn how you hold use the mandolin then it's surely worth using if you can get the instrument singing out better. I see these being about leting the instrument resonate as musch as it can rather than volume. The small complex overtones that give a fuller sound seem to be the first to go if you damp the back, getting them back is like night & day. I'm just happy I don't need to use one and that they aren't necessary to achieve that, even though they are a quick fix way to get it.
    I wonder what comments the guy adding a second string to the earliest mandola had to endure, surely doubling up on strings would have looked like the weirdest & most wasteful addition ever, until the first strum & that sound came out.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

8. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Blog Entries

I am pretty good at holding the mandolin effectively away from my body, sitting or standing, for a period of time. But after a while, (it takes longer when sitting) I get tired, but still want to play.

After say two hours playing, less if it is a rip snorter of a jam, the tone gard becomes essential to me.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post

Anyone know who makes these?

Another player had added another clamp -leg to his, Tone guard..

It holds down the set cue card, to remember songs and key its in..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    I am firmly in the camp that thinks it is too blummin' ugly to entertain using it.

Who spends that much time admiring the back of their mandolin, or, do they, instead of playing?

I know the classifieds sellers like to show the back figure, and un marked condition..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture