Thread: Goya GM16...

Default Goya GM16...

First time posting on this forum...A friend of mine knew I wanted to learn to play a mandolin so she gave me a Goya GM16 made by CF Martin & Company in Korea...Serial number #9110018..

This mandolin has a nut length of 1 1/2 inches and scale length of 14 3/4...

I have done a search on the internet...Not much info out there on this mandolin so any info on this mandolin would be appreciated...

Thank you...
    Last edited by Bushido; Aug-29-2017 at 10:44am.

Default Re: Goya GM16...

You can find a lot of info on Martin's relationship with Goya, which started out as a line of nylon-strung guitars made by Levin in Sweden, and sold under the "Goya" name in the US to appeal to classical/flamenco guitarists. Anders Levin trained at C F Martin, went back to Sweden and started a guitar company. The US distributor owned the "Goya" label for US sale of Levin guitars. C F Martin acquired the label, and used it on a variety of Asian (originally Korean) made instruments. The only real Martin connection, other than the fact that Martin imported them, was that they (supposedly) were all "inspected and adjusted" at Martin in Nazareth PA. This claim is similar to the Shenandoah and Sigma instruments that Martin also contracted with Asian builders for.

The GM-16 pictured here, if it's like yours, has the general profile of Martin's "2" series carved-top mandolins, a somewhat pear-shaped body with f-holes. By looking at the edges of the f-holes, you can generally determine if the top's solid wood or laminated; I'd guess "laminated," which is not as good as a solid top. The one I found is selling, as you can see, for $200, so we're not talking a high-end instrument here. The Goya/Martin partnership lasted until 1999, so the first two digits of the serial number may indicate it was manufactured in 1991; I can't find a definitive reference for Goya serial numbers under the Martin affiliation, just for the Levin Swedish-made instruments.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Allen, you are correct, the mandolin is laminated so if I can get over the finger pain of playing this Goya I will upgrade to a better instrument...

Thank you for taking time to reply to my post...

4. The following members say thank you to Bushido for this post:

i have a goya f 5 with solid woods. when discussed earlier some one suggested they made some in leamington ontario(probably from asian parts)in a factory that ran for 18 months then martin gave up on a canadian factosy and made them all in korea. has anyone heard of the leaminton ontario factory?