Thread: Very fancy bowlback mandoliin in great shape—L&H?

Default Very fancy bowlback mandoliin in great shape—L&H?

This is an unlabeled bowlback mandolin from maybe the late nineteenth century. Based on the headstock and other construction features, I think it was probably made by Lyon & Healy, but I don’t have easy access to Hubert Pleijsier’s book on prewar Washburn instrument styles. A local antique dealer who bought it at an estate sale asked me to look it over, and I knew enough to come here! It certainly looks like a top-of-the-line model, perhaps even a presentation piece. Features include lots and lots of beautiful MOP inlay, all of it in place, through slightly rubbed in spots. Rather baroque fretboard inlay. I count 44 ribs. Nicely engraved backplate covering the tuners. Very well preserved leather case that doesn’t smell the least bit musty (the leather straps have worn through, though metal clasps are intact; a carefully placed couple of pieces of Velcro would make this entirely usable without affecting its integrity). It seems to be all original, except for side binding around the fretboard; the sideview picture reveals that fretboard binding is a little lighter in color, and it also has side dots. No tailpiece cover. It sounds really nice, in that solid L&H way, at least to my ear—bright but chunky.

Does anyone have a good guess about when this was made and maybe a model number? Would anyone venture a guess as to what a fair price for the instrument and case might be? (I should say mention that I don't have a financial interest in this, except that I might want to buy it.)

Enjoy!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side view.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	480.6 KB 
ID:	160420Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full front.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	612.2 KB 
ID:	160421Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case back.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	562.6 KB 
ID:	160423Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	728.3 KB 
ID:	160422Click image for larger version. 

Name:	closeup front.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	691.8 KB 
ID:	160424
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full back.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	588.7 KB 
ID:	160419  

Default Re: Very fancy bowlback mandoliin in great shape—L&H?

Nice find! Good luck on getting it!

Yeah, it looks like a Washburn; the headstock shape tends toward a later period (1910-15). How many ribs in the bowl? If it's 44, it could be the Model 275, although the side bindings aren't as elaborate as the description in Pleijsier's book (p. 147). The Model 275 has the max number of ribs described in the catalog; your headstock and fretboard inlays are like those described, as is the engraving on the tuner cover plate. Without the tailpiece cover, it's hard to match up that part with catalog descriptions, or Pleijsier's photos.

Market price? Well, almost all Washburn mandolins were labeled, and yours isn't. I wouldn't describe it as a "presentation piece"; we think of all that inlay implying top-of-the-line status, but back then, many mid-range instruments had elaborate inlay. The high number of ribs is a better indication that it was originally expensive. Would be better if it had a label, and a tailpiece cover. However, you say it's in good shape and playable, so maybe $2-250 at the high end...? It could have been made by Lyon & Healy for a dealer to resell, not as a Washburn, but similarly constructed and ornamented. We can't tell, from a distance.

I tend to guess high, but it is a nice instrument. If you're thinking of buying it, an offer under $200 might be a starting point. Antique dealers who don't usually handle mandolins (most of them) tend to think old + fancy = expensive. You could point to the large number of "antique" bowl-backs that sell on-line for $100 or less.

Good luck; let us know.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

4. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Scot63 

Thanks, Allen! I really appreciate the insight. Yes, 44 ribs.

6. The following members say thank you to Scot63 for this post:

I have a mandolin with similar level of ornamentation which you can see on this thread post 6 and 7.

I do agree with Allen that these were likley made by Lyon & Healy and sold to other retailers for them to put their labels on.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Thanks, Jim! I hoped you would be able to weigh in with well-documented direction.

That case is really nice, if I were selling I would definitely want to bump up the price accordingly.

11. The following members say thank you to jesserules for this post:

Scot63 

Those cases are not too practical but cool from a collector standpoint. The prime advantage of finding a bowlback with original case is that they are often in excellent condition, protected from the elements and that the previous owners generally took care of them. I don't think the cases themselves add all that much to the selling price. Bowlbacks still don't really get all that much respect.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

13. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Scot63