Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Floating" right hand

Default Re: "Floating" right hand

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Not sure if related to closed/open but of the really good pickers whose rhythm playing I dig, they seem to have a more open loose fist.

Not brushing or planting improves my upstroke when picking melody so I can see that ending up as a winning technique. For now I brush lightly on pickgard for accuracy when picking melody

Probably just me, but a closed fist just kills my feel for rhythm.
    Why do so many players splay the fingers slightly in a relaxed "open-fist," lightly brushing the fingers, etc?

Observe the florid movements of orchestral harpists, or for that matter others in the orchestra including percussionists, horn players, et al. Something I found (through playing the harp) is that these florid movements may not be all "show," but occur naturally at least to some extent. Exaggerating movements assists not only in timing but in other musical dynamics as well. What we are doing is using more of our body - integrated with our hands. This provides a greater platform from which to extenuate fine motor movement. I find that the same thing occurs wrt to mandolin playing (relative to opening the hand slightly, rather than always maintaining a "balled" fist). Splaying the fingers provides counterbalance, an effective guide or even support especially for techniques as tremolo, "duo-style," etc.

As opposed to the harpist/harper, mandolin player is very limited in what we can do with our picking hand. Using a variety of hand positions and technical approaches helps me to achieve greater control and range of expression. I find that, not only the balled-fist, but the looser-fist is efficacious and provides greater control - depending on circumstances. Fyi, in harping sometimes we float and sometimes we lightly touch our wrists against the edge of the soundboard to serve as a guide for our hands/fingers. I do both with the mandolin as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dorenac View Post
    So yesterday I tried the rubber band around the fingers method and there was an improvement in tone. Not sure I can get used to fiddling with the rubber bands wrapped around my fingers. But the sound definitely improved.
    Hi,

Never used the rubber band trick, but holding a wine bottle cork worked well for me when I was working on this aspect of technique. It's light, the perfect size and comfortable to hold and if you think it works, you can toast your progress as you improve.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by mandrian View Post
    Hi,

Never used the rubber band trick, but holding a wine bottle cork worked well for me when I was working on this aspect of technique. It's light, the perfect size and comfortable to hold and if you think it works, you can toast your progress as you improve.

Regards,
    Mandrian that's a great idea. I find my playing gets sloppier the more wine I drink, so I better practice first. And then, as you say, toast the progress. What a real incentive to get working. I will let you know. Thanks!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I still don't get this artificial tricking-oneself/reward/incentive thing. When first I tried using more fingers, the difference in sound was so striking that the idea of going back to less fingers never occurred to me. I mean, when you've found the door out of hell into paradise, why would you need an extra incentive to stay?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Mindin' my own bizness BJ O'Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandrian View Post
    Hi,

but holding a wine bottle cork worked well for me
    I always throw the cork in the fireplace as soon as I open the bottle.

I don't seem to have the precision to play the middle strings without steadying my hand against the strings behind the bridge. The outer strings I sometimes play with my hand free.

So I tried the "cork method" and it works for me right now. Will it help me to change a habit, that remains to be determined. Because my fingers are short I reduced the cork's diameter to fit better. And I tapered it a little as well. What that did was make it easier to hold and allow me to forget it and just play. All that worked and I actually "forgot" I was holding it. And for some reason picking and floating seemed easier. So for now I will continue playing with and without the cork and see what happens.

If it doesn't work, you can try the "uncork method".
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

9. The following members say thank you to JonZ for this post:

I tried the technique of holding an extra pick in my hand as suggested by CWRoyds. I'm still looking for that darned Bluechip!! Next time I'll remember to use one of the free ones they give away at guitar stores!