Thread: Irma

Default Irma

Looking at the devastation that hurricane Irma has delivered to the Keys in Florida, I am hoping that Journey Bear is OK. Such a massive storm.

My heart goes out to all the folks in the Keys, it was my old stomping grounds.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Default Re: Irma

charley, I was asking some other members on the Café if they had heard anything from Journey Bear but none of them have as far as I know...I hope he is fine and if he reads this he will chime in and let us know how he did...Evacuating the Keys is not an easy chores, narrow roads and I suppose it was bumper to bumper.....

Willie

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I PMed him two days ago, no answer so far. But I trust he was prudent enough not to sit it out but to go on a journey in order to bear with us again later.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Keep in mind, cell and Internet infrastructure, well as power are likely to hinder communication for a good long time. Months maybe.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I am in Miami. All communications infrastructure in the keys has been wiped out. The keys were pretty well devastated. I hope he came north to Miami at least rather than ride it out. Though I know how we Floridians can be - fearless to a fault in the face of a storm.

I'll admit that after thinking of family in Naples (who Evacuated) and Jacksonville (all fine), JB was my next thought. Praying that he's somewhere far north of the Keys playing his Gibson A...

And, of course, prayers for all of those affected by this storm. Cleanup is going to be a b...ahem, tough going...
    Chuck

Same here -- worried for JB and hoping he (and everyone) was OK
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Yea Florida got hit hard. We were 150 miles from the eye and we have no power now for 35 hours..Savannah Ga..I dunno?

Here in Columbus, GA, we were directly in line for tropical storm Irma but the predicted 70 mph winds only hit about 45 or so. We avoided Irmageddon.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Blog Entries

Word on his FB timeline is alive and OK. No further details than that. He marked himself as Safe in the Irma post on FB. Considering the reports from Key West is 25% of homes destroyed and I believe almost ALL have some extent of damage, I doubt he is unaffected but, alive is good.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Howie Banfield who is a long-time buyer/seller, musician, collector of instruments and acoustic music fan we see around here frequently apparently rode the storm out with his wife on Anna Maria Island. Not entirely clear from his Facebook page what his status is.

Last April I sold my house in the Lakeland Fla area and last night I got some photos of some of the damage to the homes in that area and I am so glad that I did sell before this thing hit....It seems that the eye of the storm turned eastward when it hit land and went right through Lakeland.....I pray that everyone that decided to ride it out is safe and sound, lots of clean up to be had that is for sure......

Willie

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Hi everyone

Thanks for your concern. It warms my heart, can't tell you how much. Yes, we were without power, water, cell, wi-fi - many of the modern conveniences we take for granted, for days. On Tuesday 9/12 I was abl to use a landline for a few minutes, and among the quick calls I made was one to one of my best facebook friends, to ask her to post to my page that I was OK. I was able to get cell service 2-3 days later, and thus intenet through my phone's Hot Spot. A neighbor was running a generator and letting people charge their devices, which was a great help. Power came on Sunday afternoon, at 4:20 - in case that means something to you. Things have been lurching toward normalcy ever since.

I haven't been online as much as usual. Couldn't, at firwt, and then ;ater kind of didn't want to. I've been busy with other things, natch. But I did finally get around to posting last night, started a thread, partly to let everyone know I'm OK, partly to share a rather good performance of one of my songs at an impromptu celebration of survival a few days ago. I just noticed today there are a couple of threads started to search for and support me. Thanks so much! As it happens, Willie found me, via email, which I've been checking to keep in touch with my duo partner, currently in Thailand. That led me bit by bit back here.

Also, a very pleasant by-product of this experience was being able to see the Milky Way - right here, in Bright Lights Big City on the Bay. Amazing sight, in this context. I'm sure that hasn't happened in decades, nor will again for as long, if ever. It was a magical, soul-stirring sight.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

JB, so glad to hear you and your instruments are ok. The folks down there will rebound for sure. I spent a lot of time in Big Pine Key back in the day and it broke my heart to see the damage.

Take care my friend,

Charley
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

16. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post: