Thread: Alternative for Ameritage (Read extremely heavy) GBOM cases

Default Alternative for Ameritage (Read extremely heavy) GBOM cases

As someone who is suffering from an impinged nerve in her back, and struggling to tote around my GBOM (even with a rolling cart), I decided to try a Humicase for classical guitars. I believe the model is a Metro II. I ordered one here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...micase&index=2

It came today, and I think it's a pretty good fit for my Girouard. I have not tried the Mowry in it yet, but the case and the instrument weigh a lot less than the empty Ameritage case. I removed the humidity pod mounted in the inside of the case lid. I am not planning on using it anyway, but it's a good solid case with adequate padding to tote back and forth to rehearsals and jams.

I'm happier with it than a gig bag, so we will see how it holds up. If not the investment is around $250, which is nothing to sneeze at, but probably around the same price as a Mono or RB gig bag.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Default Re: Alternative for Ameritage (Read extremely heavy) GBOM cases

I had a fiberglass cello case for many years, and they definitely lighten the load nicely. I've since upgraded to carbon fiber, which on a cello-sized and cello-priced instrument is a significant improvement that has been well worth the investment.

For a guitar-sized instrument, though, CF is generally not worth the added expense. That fiberglass case you got is probably right where the sweet spot lies.

Hope your back enjoys the relief!

Hi Mary, I'd be interested to here how your Mowry fits in that case. When I started building the GBOMs 15 years ago I looked at classical cases but couldn't find one that fit well, and it didn't seem right designing an instrument to fit a case. Ameritage has been the only company I've found willing to make a hardshell case to fit. They are quite sturdy, but also heavy.

Andrew, I will try my Mowry in the Humicase in the next few days, and get back to you. I'm just wondering if the headstock shape might hinder the fit. I will let you know though.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Thanks Mary!