Thread: Golden Gate with not a round tip?

Default Golden Gate with not a round tip?

Greetings, 1rst post - not a mando player but a fan of the Golden Gate Pick.

Does one exist with more of a point, not much of one...just a little bit not quite as round?
    A fantasy?

Thanks!

Default Re: Golden Gate with not a round tip?

I'm feelin' like the answer is no.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm a fan of Golden Gate picks as well and like you, they are too blunt for my liking. I reshape them with various grits of sandpaper finishing off with 600 Grit and then polishing compound. I make them a little more pointy but not quite as pointy as a standard Fender pick.
    www.apitiusmandolins.com

What is good Phaedrus? and what is not good?, need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Check out the "DAWG" pick at Greg Boyd's.

https://gregboyd.com/product/dawg-mandolin-pick/

Try the Dunlop Prime Tone smooth sculpted plectra. I have one lying around that I like, 1.5, and it is not the opaque plectra, which I find too clickey on the mandolin.

They look like this, and are a similar size to the Dawg and Proplec picks.

https://www.elderly.com/accessories/...tra-113102.htm
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

No !. I've tried both the 'Golden Gate' & 'Dawg' picks - both very similar in shape & thickness, & i've filed & bevelled 'points' on them.
    However,they're so thick that the polished edges still slide over the strings & they still sounded very muffled.

You could do worse than to explore the range of Dunlop 'Primetone' picks mentioned by Gary above. They come in a variety of shapes / thicknesses & sizes,& in 2 different types - 'smooth' & 'grippy'.

Look here for a variety of PTs.:- http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert...ulpted-plectra

Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver A. View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    I'm a fan of Golden Gate picks as well and like you, they are too blunt for my liking. I reshape them with various grits of sandpaper finishing off with 600 Grit and then polishing compound. I make them a little more pointy but not quite as pointy as a standard Fender pick.
    Hey thanks, I actually just took an emery board to one corner and tried to emulate a tip of a ProPlec in my own primitive way. Might be something there. I'm new to ProPlecs and really like them, just wish they weren't so dark sounding! Just a little bit less.

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    Check out the "DAWG" pick at Greg Boyd's.
    https://gregboyd.com/product/dawg-mandolin-pick/
    Thanks, I was returning two BC picks yesterday and saw a Dawg pick in a bowl and thought that tip looks pointier than the one I have at home so I bought it. Dawg II I guess huh? Fun but DARK for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Leonard View Post
    Try the Dunlop Prime Tone smooth sculpted plectra. I have one lying around that I like, 1.5, and it is not the opaque plectra, which I find too clickey on the mandolin.
    They look like this, and are a similar size to the Dawg and Proplec picks.
    https://www.elderly.com/accessories/...tra-113102.htm
    I also bought a few of the 1.5 Triangle grippy ones while I was there. I tried sanding one edge a little rounder, sorta worked. Definitley not as bright as the smaller sculpted 1.4 I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    No !. I've tried both the 'Golden Gate' & 'Dawg' picks - both very similar in shape & thickness, & i've filed & bevelled 'points' on them.
    However,they're so thick that the polished edges still slide over the strings & they still sounded very muffled.

You could do worse than to explore the range of Dunlop 'Primetone' picks mentioned by Gary above. They come in a variety of shapes / thicknesses & sizes,& in 2 different types - 'smooth' & 'grippy'.

Look here for a variety of PTs.:- http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert...ulpted-plectra

Ivan
    Hey thanks, I'll try a few other PrimeTones and see and probably buck up for a Round not Speed Beveled BC at some point just to get it out of my system. I had a TP50/60 for a day but I found them too bright for what I'm thinking of. Thanks for checking in all!

If you really like the Golden Gate picks, and are not especially keen on alternatives, like Primetone, Dawg, and -- dare I say, BLUECHIP -- then what you should do is shape a few of your Golden Gate picks to something more like what you want. These picks are made of cheap plastic, soft, and easily re-formed using an emery board or some sandpaper. You can buy a handful of GG picks and go hog-wild trying a bunch of different point types and bevels. And when you find what like, just put it aside as a reference and duplicate it every time. Easy peasy.

Hey sblock...that is me, sounds like a plan. Thanks for the vote of confidence!