Thread: A few questions about strings

Default A few questions about strings

Hello I'm new in this forum, and a new mandolin player in general.
    I have Ibanez M510E-BS A style mandolin.
    I have a few questions:

1. How often do you guys change the strings? Yes, I know I will get many different answers and suggestions, but I want to see the average time. I have my mandolin for 9 months, and haven't change a single string yet. I can play only one day in a week (hopefully this will change soon) , so I didn't see any reason to change yet, but now I'm not pleased with the sound of my mandolin.. The G and D strings sound too muddy and lack of power in my opinion. I believe changing the strings will fix that problem, right?

2. What most of bluegrass players prefer - light or medium strings?

3. I need to take my mandolin to a setup if I want tp switch to light strings from medium (or vice versa) ?
    I know that with acoustic guitars there might be some problems..Is it the same case with mandolin?

4. What string's gauge the mandolins usually come with when I buy the mandolin?
    And to my specific mandolin.. What gauge does it have now, assuming I never change yet?

5. I find the tailpiece VERY hard to remove. It seems like it need to slide down, but I'm using a lot of force and it doesn't get removed. I'm afraid to damage my instrument :/

6. If you can recommend on some basic easy bluegrass songs to learn first - it would be really appreciated

Thank you very much!
    Last edited by DinEzra; Sep-20-2017 at 10:09am.

Default Re: A few questions about strings

One of the first things a person should do when his/her mandolin doesn`t sound the same as before is to try new strings, a different pick sometimes cures the problem but also weather changes make them sound different...I haven`t played an Ibanez mandolin for a long time but I wouldn`t expect too much from them, from what I remember they had a pressed or laminated top.....Also I don`t know what your budget is but a Kentucky KM-900 series mandolin would be great for bluegrass and seems to be the best bang for your buck so maybe getting a new mandolin will be your answer, some appear now and then for around $700 to $900 on the classifieds....Most pickers prefer medium gauge strings, I prefer the GHS A-270`s myself but different mandolins sometime need different brand strings, try some different brands and you will find what is your preference...

Good luck ....Willie

Thank you for your answer! Will it damage my mandolin if I switch between light/medium gauge? Or is it safe to switch anytime?

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Just one fool's opinion, but worth every penny:

1- At an hour or three per week, my strings would last 2-3 years, maybe 4 or 5. BUT, after five decades of playing, I've come to realize that my finger chemistry is far more benign than most folks'. Your mileage may vary. Some pros change strings every show, but most of us go from 2 weeks to 2 months between string changes.

2- Bluegrass? Probably heavy strings. Medium at the lightest. But you're learning; even Mario Andretti didn't start in a Formula 1 racer. (Yeah, showin' my age!)

3- Setup? A solid "maybe", just like on guitar. See if lighter strings give you fret buzzing. (Some will comment about "inadequate bridge pressure" but, at this point in your learning, that's like debating camber adjustment on that Formula 1 racer.)

4- New mandolins usually come with somewhere between .008" and .046" strings, and every combination thereof. In other words, there is no valid answer. But one of my smarter moves was picking up a yard-sale micrometer for $3. Answers LOTS of string-gauge questions!

5- Tailpiece: Yikes! My first mando was/is a (Sam Ash) Carlo Robelli, and the standard-looking tailpiece cover has never slid off. Early on, I took the whole thing off and used some chisel prying to widen the cover's wings, so it's been a press-on for almost 20 years. Hasn't fallen off, either!

6- Easiest bluegrass I've seen (a WAY non-standard answer here) is Vol. 1 of American Fiddle Method by Brian Wicklund (spell?). In standard notation only, but a CD to play along with - maybe DVD on newer version. It's based on "fiddle tunes" that are the core of bluegrass. (Feel free to ignore the fiddle-bowing comments!)

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by EdHanrahan; Sep-20-2017 at 11:41am.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    Just one idiot's opinion, and worth every penny:

1- At an hour or three per week, my strings would last 2-3 years, maybe 4 or 5. BUT, after five decades of playing, I've come to realize that my finger chemistry is far more benign than most folks'. Your mileage may vary. Some pros change strings every show, but most of us go from 2 weeks to 2 months between string changes.

2- Bluegrass? Probably heavy strings. Medium at the lightest. But you're learning; even Mario Andretti didn't start in a Formula 1 racer. (Yeah, showin' my age!)

3- Setup? A solid "maybe", just like on guitar. See if lighter strings give you fret buzzing. (Some will comment about "inadequate bridge pressure" but, at this point, that's like debating camber adjustment on that Formula 1 racer.)

4- New mandolins usually come with somewhere between .008" and .046" strings, and every combination thereof. In other words, there is no valid answer. But one of my smarter moves was picking up a yard-sale micrometer for $3. Answers LOTS of string-gauge questions!

5- Tailpiece: Yikes! My first mando was/is a (Sam Ash) Carlo Robelli, and the standard-looking tailpiece cover has never slid off. Early on, I took the whole thing off and used some chisel prying to widen the cover's wings, so it's been a press-on for almost 20 years. Hasn't fallen off, either!

6- Easiest bluegrass I've seen (a WAY non-standard answer here) is Vol. 1 of American Fiddle Method by Brian Wicklund (spell?). In standard notation only, but a CD to play along with - maybe DVD on newer version. It's based on "fiddle tunes" that are the core of bluegrass. (Feel free to ignore the fiddle-bowing comments!)

Hope this helps!
    Thank you very much!
    So I shouldn't be worry about my mandolin when I change strings gauge?
    I always imagine my neck would totally break when I do this haha.. Maybe it's just some silly nightmares.

And about the tailpiece.. I should just use more force? There isn't some tricks or methods for removing it?

Quote Originally Posted by DinEzra View Post
    Thank you very much!
    So I shouldn't be worry about my mandolin when I change strings gauge?
    I always imagine my neck would totally break when I do this haha.. Maybe it's just some silly nightmares.And about the tailpiece.. I should just use more force? There isn't some tricks or methods for removing it?
    Unless you have a bowl back or some special antique, lite medium or heavy mandolin strings should be OK. Rub the tailpiece rails with parrafin or candle wax

Howdy DinEzra,
    Can't take pics right now because the cam batteries recharging. I don't know your mandolin model, but looking at web images, it looks like the tailpiece cover might be the type where the strings are bearing on the leading edge and forcing the tailpiece cover upward and creating tension and resistance to sliding back off the tailpiece base. If you loosen the strings enough, it should reduce the resistance and make it easier to slide the tailpiece cover off. If that's still not enough, you can take a hammer(small one ) and something like a wine cork tapping on each side of the tailpiece cover to "drive" it off the tailpiece base. I'll try to get pics up shortly.

benny

Quote Originally Posted by bennyb View Post
    Howdy DinEzra,
    Can't take pics right now because the cam batteries recharging. I don't know your mandolin model, but looking at web images, it looks like the tailpiece cover might be the type where the strings are bearing on the leading edge and forcing the tailpiece cover upward and creating tension and resistance to sliding back off the tailpiece base. If you loosen the strings enough, it should reduce the resistance and make it easier to slide the tailpiece cover off. If that's still not enough, you can take a hammer(small one ) and something like a wine cork tapping on each side of the tailpiece cover to "drive" it off the tailpiece base. I'll try to get pics up shortly.

benny
    FINALLY! Got it out! I've loosen the strings and it was indeed easier to slide away. Thank you!
    Had to use a towel to push the tailpiece because of the sharp edges hahaha..
    I must say I'm extremely excited to replace my first set of strings :D Haven't excited like this for a long time.

9. The following members say thank you to DinEzra for this post:

bennyb 

You won't find a lot of bluegrass players using light strings. Most everyone uses at least 11-40. I like 11.5-41, and if I saw 12-42, I'd try those.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

1. Each two or three months ... but I play more in a day than you do in a week. A fresh set of strings will brighten your instruments tone.
    2. .011 - .040
    3. No ..... your mandolin may need a setup but not with a change of strings. When you do change your strings do so one pair at a time so as not to move the bridge.
    4. .011-.040
    5. Yeah those type of tailpieces can be a pain .... I see you have gotten through that ... first times the worst.
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    1. Each two or three months ... but I play more in a day than you do in a week. A fresh set of strings will brighten your instruments tone.
    2. .011 - .040
    3. No ..... your mandolin may need a setup but not with a change of strings. When you do change your strings do so one pair at a time so as not to move the bridge.
    4. .011-.040
    5. Yeah those type of tailpieces can be a pain .... I see you have gotten through that ... first times the worst.
    Thank you for your reply!