Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eastman OM - a one-month review

Default Re: Eastman OM - a one-month review

The Eastman OM showed up today. Wow - I’m thrilled with this - so much fun to play. It’s set up really well. I will try to post a video soon. I really love the variation in sound moving from the open G up to the E and A courses, especially fretted up the neck. This thing covers such a wonderful range of tone and pitch!
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Lucky you -- where did you find one?

Someone here at the cafe was selling in the classifieds.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Here’s a link to a video I made playing Dry and Dusty on the MDO305. Really having a great time getting to know this thing.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lukmanohnz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz View Post
    Here’s a link to a video I made playing Dry and Dusty on the MDO305. Really having a great time getting to know this thing.
    Yeah man...that sounds very nice.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Nice tone on the Dry and Dusty!

I'll have to give that tune a go too!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    Nice tone on the Dry and Dusty!

I'll have to give that tune a go too!

f-d
    Thx! It just seemed like the perfect tune to play on the octave. The sustain is so nice on the Eastman

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

What I notice, I can't play anything up to dance tempo, but all the tunes sound curiously different.

Stuff like that entertains me!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

10. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

I received an MDO305 two weeks ago. Been playing regularly and enjoying the sound. Took the advice from here and immediately put mandola strings on the instrument. I am finding the stretch between frets is a real workout, but interestingly, the same tunes on mandolin now seem remarkably simple! Have been wondering if the difference of one inch in the scale between the Eastman and the Weber 20" scale makes it any easier to use the mandolin fingerings I've learned for melody lines.
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

That sounds great! Nice tune, I've never heard it before, I'll have to give it a try myself.

@Russ Donahue, I've heard so many people say they like the mandola strings on the MDO-305, but I haven't heard any clips of what they actually sound like. Have you come across any, or perhaps have one of your own you could share? Do they change the sound of the instrument as well as the feel?

13. The following members say thank you to JMFingerstyle for this post:

That's a nice use of sustain and partial chords on that OM. That's what they're made for when playing melody, in my opinion. The slower tunes where you can really work the sustain of the longer scale compared to a mandolin.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Yea, what FP said. Nice interpretation of the tune, one of my faves.

Quote Originally Posted by bbcee View Post
    Yea, what FP said. Nice interpretation of the tune, one of my faves.
    It’s pretty much how Joe K. Walsh teaches it in his Peghead Nation course (except played on an OM instead of mando ;-) so I can’t really take credit for anything but the mistakes.....

This tune - Inverness - was written by John Mailander and he plays it on an octave mandolin. Took me a bit to get those crooked measures down, but once it gets in your fingers it's hard to stop playing this one. Over and over and over and over and over and....... It's like octave mandolin crack. Joe K. Walsh teaches it in his octave mandolin course on Peghead Nation.

This tune - Inverness - was written by John Mailander and he plays it on an octave mandolin. Took me a bit to get those crooked measures down, but once it gets in your fingers it's hard to stop playing this one. Over and over and over and over and over and....... It's like octave mandolin crack. Joe K. Walsh teaches it in his octave mandolin course on Peghead Nation.
    "Sam Brown Hill" is addictive too - also from Joe's course. Finally have that down. And, you did a great job on Inverness - very smooth. Something for me to aspire to (next).
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Fender Tenor Telecaster (GDAE)
    Collings O1A
    Recording King Tenor Guitar

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shaundeane For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shaundeane View Post
    "Sam Brown Hill" is addictive too - also from Joe's course. Finally have that down. And, you did a great job on Inverness - very smooth. Something for me to aspire to (next).
    Thanks! Yes - I got SBH under my fingers then moved on to Inverness. The rhythm part for Inverness is still a work in progress. Joe’s crosspicking is so beautiful - those subtle little runs and embellishments he adds when playing rhythm just make it so sublime. I really want to try and capture that feeling. Are you taking his improv workshop too? Yesterday’s first session was great.

Thanks! Yes - I got SBH under my fingers then moved on to Inverness. The rhythm part for Inverness is still a work in progress. Joe’s crosspicking is so beautiful - those subtle little runs and embellishments he adds when playing rhythm just make it so sublime. I really want to try and capture that feeling. Are you taking his improv workshop too? Yesterday’s first session was great.
    I am, yes and agree and also taking Matt Flinner's Octave course. Something is bound to stick, I figure.
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Fender Tenor Telecaster (GDAE)
    Collings O1A
    Recording King Tenor Guitar

23. The following members say thank you to shaundeane for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JMFingerstyle View Post
    That sounds great! Nice tune, I've never heard it before, I'll have to give it a try myself.

@Russ Donahue, I've heard so many people say they like the mandola strings on the MDO-305, but I haven't heard any clips of what they actually sound like. Have you come across any, or perhaps have one of your own you could share? Do they change the sound of the instrument as well as the feel?
    Hi JMFingerstyle. I saw your note. Will get you a recording sometime soon. Thanks for asking. Standby!
    FWIW, I've also started playing with a capo at the second fret, which makes fiddle tune fingering SO MUCH EASIER. Just means my guitar playing buddy ends up capoing at the second as well so we are in the same key!
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Donahue View Post
    Hi JMFingerstyle. I saw your note. Will get you a recording sometime soon. Thanks for asking. Standby!
    FWIW, I've also started playing with a capo at the second fret, which makes fiddle tune fingering SO MUCH EASIER. Just means my guitar playing buddy ends up capoing at the second as well so we are in the same key!
    Well, I just switched to EJ72 Mandola strings on my MDO-305, having previously used the EJ80s. I've got mixed feelings. While they've improved the "flubberiness" (is that even a word?) of the G, I think that the sound is overall a little flatter with less overtones than the EJ80s. In fact, when I put them on and started playing a bit, my wife poked her head in the room and asked why the new strings sounded so dull.

Overall, I like the feel of the EJ72s over the EJ80s, but I'm not enchanted with the sound. I'll give them a little time to see if they grow on me.

Quote Originally Posted by JMFingerstyle View Post

Overall, I like the feel of the EJ72s over the EJ80s, but I'm not enchanted with the sound. I'll give them a little time to see if they grow on me.
    I did the exact same switcheroo. I too am torn, but will probably stick with the heavier set. If I want more "jangle," well, that's what my zook is for

27. The following members say thank you to meow-n-dolin for this post:

I’m a mandolin rookie and my first one is the Eastman MDO305. I’ve been playing several other instruments since the mid-1950s. I’m about to hit four months on the mando and I’m liking it a lot. First upgrade was EJ72 strings, second was Rubner tuners and it’s in the shop now for a full setup plus replacing the saddle. The sound of the shallow, fairly small (for an OM) body is actually to my liking. Think parlor guitar in a way. Not long ago I got a Ratliff Country Boy mandolin and the two instruments are complementary. I’ll switch between them according to the songs we play … as my skills grow, that is.
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

Just got an Eastman, too. Any advice on strings for "Chicago tuning" - DGBe???

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I just picked up a MDO305. It sounds very thin to me. My mandola (Collings) has a much deeper and richer sound. I was thinking that I would try to return it, but then saw this thread. I realize it won't be a night and day difference but possibly EJ72 strings might give a little more girth to the G & D strings?
    Gibson 2016 "Harvey" Fern
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber 2017 Bitterroot A20-F Octave Mandolin
    Crump BIII Irish Bouzouki
    Petersen Level 2 Irish Bouzouki
    Eastman MDC805 Mandocello
    Collings 0002H
    Five & Six String Banjos
    Lots of other Guitars
    http://www.shadowfields.com

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I just picked up a MDO305. It sounds very thin to me. My mandola (Collings) has a much deeper and richer sound. I was thinking that I would try to return it, but then saw this thread. I realize it won't be a night and day difference but possibly EJ72 strings might give a little more girth to the G & D strings?
    They work for me. The Collins, IIRC, has a deeper body. This does change the characteristics of the instrument, but the heavier strings will help "close the gap." I go back and forth between the Octave set and the Mandola set, depending on my mood.

Are you using the EJ72 or EJ76 mandola strings?
    Gibson 2016 "Harvey" Fern
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber 2017 Bitterroot A20-F Octave Mandolin
    Crump BIII Irish Bouzouki
    Petersen Level 2 Irish Bouzouki
    Eastman MDC805 Mandocello
    Collings 0002H
    Five & Six String Banjos
    Lots of other Guitars
    http://www.shadowfields.com