Thread: "Extended" fret (finger) board

Default "Extended" fret (finger) board

Why is this important? I'm referring to what looks like the Florida peninsula at the end. I hit it with the pick compared with a non-extended.

Blog Entries

Default Re: "Extended" fret (finger) board

Why is it important?

To quote Teviya in Fiddler on the Roof ------ "TRADITION"

Some folks can actually play those notes up there, but I personally have the same problem that you do. I have performed one full Floridectomy and one scoopotomy and I like the results in both cases.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

The "Florida" is only important if you use those notes, which I sometimes do. I find the non-usable (scooped) extensions to be silly. Why put it there if you can't use it?

A few years ago, I went to a workshop with Radim Zenkl. He had a custom-made mandolin with a wide fretboard to help facilitate picking polyphonically. It also had a fretboard extension (squared off, not a Florida) which could be removed on tunes where he didn't need it. It seemed like the best of both worlds.

4. The following members say thank you to David L for this post:

From the OP - " I hit it with the pick compared with a non-extended." . Do what i had to do,practice 'not hitting' it. Just make sure that you don't dig in too far with the tip of the pick.

I also like to use the extension when improvising a break. A quick trip up there & then back down can add some extra texture to the sound of your breaks - it makes you look good as well (as long as you don't louse up !!),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

6. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

I have one mandolin with a full fretted fingerboard, and I do use the entire range at times.

It's cool to be able to play scales, arpeggios and melodies in several registers. I've never had trouble with pick click either.

But that's just me.

On the other hand, "there's no money above the 7th fret" or so I've been told.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

When playing in the 3rd position the 12th fret is as far as I go.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)