Thread: flat / bent top mandolin: new vs. old

Default flat / bent top mandolin: new vs. old

i've been down to one mandolin (Stanley A5s) for what seems a long time now by choice, but am missing the Martin A for a very different sound and cross tunings. Something that's become a must is a 1 1/16" nut, which the Martin doesn't have, and that means modifying a vintage-ish instrument.

After looking into the bowl backs, i've decided the Martin bent top sound is more to my liking.

Another choice would be an old flat top Gibson shaped like an A , but would also need a neck mod, and i don't know if the sound would be similar enought to a Martin A. (no interest in Army/Navy spec'l or Flatiron)

Yet another choice would be a custom build. So i'm wondering if it would be best to buy an old Martin A (neck could be trashed to replace) and modify it, or have one made to my spec's from scratch. i do like the Martin sound for a 2nd mandolin, but a custom build could be better.

Curious about thoughts from the Cafe folks.
    Last edited by dan in va; Oct-06-2017 at 8:38pm.

Default Re: flat / bent top mandolin: new vs. old

Another old brand to keep an eye out for are the Regal-made bent-tops. Not sure about the nut width, but boy, do they sound good, and usually cheaper than a Martin. they come up in the classifieds once in a while.

This one was posted recently: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/115340#115340

bbcc, thank you for the info and link to the Regal. Not having seen one in the wood, i've often wondered about their quality, as some have caught my eye. The ad says this one has a 1 1/8" nut, but i've accepted that most necks will need to be narrowed and profiled.

i noticed your Black Diamond string pic. Haven't tried anything but their medium Doghouse Bass string set, which is really good on the house plywood upright. Thanks again....dan

I just finished setting up a 1957 Martin mandolin, did a 1928 a few months ago, both sounded great. I am thinking of keeping the '57 for my soon to be old age mandolin. The short scale and light strings will be nice and it is still resonant and loud. It will, I hope, be a long time before my Brentrup gets pried from my hands tho.

I also have an old '20s Supertone but I find the Martin sounds far superior to the Supertone. The Martin is a deeper mandolin tho and has a much better bass response, and better high's too. It is just all around better sounding.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I wonder if Martin's custom shop would make mandolins ?

There certainly are enough old Martins around, and they are very nice sounding and well made, if that's what you're looking for.
    Cary Fagan

Quote Originally Posted by Brian560 View Post
    I wonder if Martin's custom shop would make mandolins ?
    Probably, if you've got $5K or more...

Remember, OP requires a 1 1/16 inch nut. That may make a Martin unacceptable. My 'teens Style A has a 1 1/8 nut, and I'd guess that's pretty close to standard.

Now, how much real difference does that 1/16 inch make? I think I could get used to a nut that was within that range of my "ideal" width. However, I'm known for my low standards.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

i appreciate all the replies. Surprisingly, the 1/16" combined with the neck profile makes a really big difference with my left hand (old trigger finger, not so straight fingers, etc). So i would reshape the neck as well as make it narrow. It would be great if that little bit of width didn't matter. After looking at some nice vintage things, the way i'll go is with a post WW2 and pre-black guard era instrument. One with neck or fretboard issues and good box would be optimal, so as not to mess with a nice vintage specimen.

Yes, it might take a lot of coin to for Martin to make a new one, so should the right one not turn up i would go with a small shop number to my spec's.

Interestingly enough, Mike Longworth's book lists all mandolins with a 1 3/16" neck, and the mid 1970's A i had was pretty close to that, while there are many examples listed for sale with 1 1/8" necks at the nut. There are also some differences in the pre and post war box sizes. Reading is good, but there are literary errors out there, and there is a lot of good info right here on the Cafe.

Mine is 1 5/32" so in between both allen's and dan's. I'm sure there are the same differences with most makes. It is the '57 and pre black guard.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I would contact some of the fine flattop makers who frequent the Cafe. Since the neck profile and width is crucial I would go this route.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1