Thread: Help Improve MandoLessons.com

Default Help Improve MandoLessons.com

Hi everybody, my name is Baron Collins-Hill and I run the website MandoLessons.com.

This fall I am going to be taking a look at how I do things on my website and youtube, and would love to get some feedback from the greater mandolin community (and it doesn't get any better than the cafe)!

I have created a quick survey that anyone can fill out at any time:

https://goo.gl/forms/EL6kaYTQy9NYyBVJ3

I wanted to start a conversation here on the cafe to see if anyone has suggestions, comments, or thoughts on how I could make my website better serve you, and how you would like to see it evolve. Feel free to share your thoughts in the survey, and/or add your thoughts here.

Thanks very much!
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Help Improve MandoLessons.com

Good stuff Baron.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Doing Awesome Job!

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

I love your channel & web site, I think a few basic Christmas carols would be popular for beginners. Maybe some beginners chord melody as there is very little about that style on YouTube.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fox For This Useful Post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Always been a big fan of your site Baron, and have learned A LOT from it. I like your idea of product reviews as you mentioned on the survey and I also like fox’s idea about chord melody. Along the line of chords I think maybe a series on cross picking would be great too!

I always recommend your site when people ask about learning!

Thanks for all you do!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Mandolessons is an excellent resource. Learn by ear, learn by tabs, play along tracks. I have lost track of the amount of people I have recommended your website to.

Many thanks Baron and wishing you continued success.

Hi Baron,

I've been a fan of yours mandolessons.com but recently I've also found a few youtube videos of your band Velocipede. I'm fascinated about playing irish tunes back up on a mandolin/tenor gutar CGDA and I really liked your sound there.
    This topic is a bit harder for me because it's not easy to find a good examples to study and there're a lot of 'improvisation' going on there.
    So what I'd love to see is some lessons about your approach.

And, of course, if somebody would created some lessons on Andy Irvine approach I'd be very happy

Thanks to all who have filled out the survey, and thanks for the kind words!

I am definitely taking all of this into account! Some Christmas carols are a great idea, as well as a cross picking series and chord melody lessons.

Roman, Glad you are getting into tenor guitar! I actually tune my tenor guitar GDAD (and octave below the mandolin). I've got more information and a beginner series here: www.tenorguitarlessons.com. I wish I could do what Andy does (got to see him play twice last year, what a legend!), but the only one to make those lessons would probably be the man himself!

Thanks again for all the feedback, I look forward to continuing to make lessons for many years!
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron Collins-Hill For This Useful Post:

foxMateus 

Blog Entries

Baron, thanks for your generous and valuable contribution to the education of us Newbies. It is appreciated by many.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

I want to add my thanks along with everybody else. I think it is really kind of you to do what you do.

Maybe I'm the only one who does this, but I will regularly fall asleep to Mandolessons while watching its YouTube lessons on my FireTV in bed, trying to glean all the info I can before I fall asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Pekar View Post

And, of course, if somebody would created some lessons on Andy Irvine approach I'd be very happy
    Friend, I've been wondering that for years!! What exactly would you call what he does on mando/zouk while playing with other instruments? What would you call that kind of back-up, and how do you do it?

It's a great mystery to me, every time I hear him with Planxty, Paul Brady or Mick Hanley. But it is so amazing and fits so well!!

Sorry for the rave - great job Baron, love your site and have donated in the past!!
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

An impressive body of work, Baron.

I'd love to see more blues mandolin lessons, perhaps based on tunes the way bluegrass and fiddle tunes are dealt with.

[I filled out the survey linked above by Baron, and recommend others do the same]

Funny... I just pulled several tabs from your site and think they're high quality and really appreciate your site. Have you considered taking song requests? Just as an example I like the version of St. Anne's Reel that Sierra Hull plays on YouTube but it's a bit more complex than the standard and she's too badass for me to keep up with.

I also want to echo another sentiment expressed by Ron McMillan that other genres are appreciated. I play bluegrass because there are tons of tabs and resources for that genre but frankly I'm not a bluegrass fanatic. I love traditional music (Irish) but want to learn more rock and classical and blues.