Thread: Avi Avital's Kerman mandolin

Default Avi Avital's Kerman mandolin

Does anyone know the specific wood Avi Avital's Kerman mandolin is made of? The top, back, sides, neck and fretboard?
    I love the sound coming from it and was curious. And yes I know the player makes a huge difference in sounds that are produce but I am interested in what wood was used.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Avi Avital's Kerman mandolin

I think that Kerman's mandolins are notable less for their woods employed and more for their innovative construction techniques.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I think that Kerman's mandolins are notable less for their woods employed and more for their innovative construction techniques.
    I appreciate your comment. Do you know what wood Avi's Kerman mandolin is made out of? Thank you
    Last edited by astein2006; Oct-04-2017 at 8:20pm. Reason: change

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...erman-mandolin is a nice overview from a previous discussion. It should answer pretty much any question about this unique and wonderful instrument. I continue to be amazed at the various ways these builders approach their arts and crafts!

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by astein2006 View Post
    I appreciate your comment. Do you know what wood Avi's Kerman mandolin is made out of? Thank you
    I don't, and as I tried to communicate, my guess is that the sound you love coming out of Avi Avital's mandolin has less to do with the woods employed and more to do with Arik Kerman's design. In other words, a Big Muddy built by Mike Dulak using the same tonewoods as Arik Kerman is not going to reproduce the sound of Avital's mandolin.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Many are made from maple backs and sides. Not sure of the tops, but several photos show quite a range of color so I would think anywhere from spruce to cedar.. just a guess.

Jacob Reuven's Kerman: looks like maple from the side (screenshot from an interview).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 4.52.04 PM.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	189634

Avi's might be mahogany or else stained maple. From his web site:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avital+038b+Kopie.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	308.8 KB 
ID:	189635

Possibly the only way to know for sure might be to write to Avi. The only info on his site says:
    Instrument: Arik Kerman (1998)
    Strings: Thomastik-Infeld (154, Medium)
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Oh, wait. Scott just posted this Interview with Arik Kerman. Fantastic.

No specifics on type of wood but this:
    Indeed, my mandolin is slightly larger than a traditional mandolin, but it is not the size that gives a big sound, and not the double board either; it is much more complex. Acoustics is a complicated and wild thing and sometimes similar results are obtained from different resonator bodies, and vice versa.

The type of wood has an effect on the sound, it is a primary parameter that affects the color of the sound. Everything else – the sound strength, its length, etc. is in the hands of the builder. It is possible to tune in advance which sounds will be dominant, the low ones or the high ones, the aspiration of course that all the sounds will sound good. I can say that in my mandolin I can slightly change the sound while testing the instrument after it is finished – very small changes, which affect the feel of the player.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Here Avi discusses his mandolin, at 1:49 he shows the back. It looks like stained maple.

Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Yes. I played one at a workshop, belonging to Jacob Reuven. There are some innovative things I noticed.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/e...the-end-of-MAS
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

11. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

If Bill had strolled by a barber shop in Tel Aviv and found a Kerman, he’d have played one.

If L. Loar is the Stradivarius of mandolins, Arik and Yam Kerman are the Guarneri del Jesu. Think Paganini’s illustrious “Canon” violin with 8 strings and a double top.

13. The following members say thank you to Psymando for this post:

Sorry, I should have begun with an introduction here. I’ve been a Cafe ‘voyeur’ for years now and just this evening, inspired perhaps by Yaki Reuven’s interview with Arik Kerman, decided to move out of mandolin shadow country and join the choir. These are remarkable instruments and follow no other developmental line in mandolin evolution as far as I can tell.

Happy to trade ‘fish stories’ with anyone else who has played one. Woods used? European maple/spruce, occasionally mahogany back and sides. Doesn’t begin to tell the story. Two basic models (see Jacob Reuven and Avi Avital).