Thread: Case for Kentucky KM-950

Default Case for Kentucky KM-950

I'm looking to get a different case for my Kentucky KM-950 (a-style). I currently have a basic TKL case, which currently works ok. The issue I have is that I have a tonegard on my mandolin and I think the fit is a little too snug when trying to close the case, possibly pushing down on the top/bridge a little more than I've comfortable with.
    Back when I had another mandolin with a Travelite case, I tried putting the KM-950 in it, but it seemed just a hair too big to fit (body width). I'd maybe have tried to squeeze down some of the padding to see if I could get it to fit, but I was selling the other mandolin with the Travelite, and didn't want to damage it.
    Does anyone have any recommendation on a decent hard case that would fit a KM-950 with tonegard? Ideally I'd like to keep the budget under $200 (closer to $100 would be better). I've considered Hiscox, Gator, Superior (wood and fiberglass), among a few others. I also found these Crossrock fiberglass cases on Amazon. No reviews on them, and I can't find much else info on their mandolin cases, though I've seen a few reviews on their uke cases.
    Thanks everyone!

Default Re: Case for Kentucky KM-950

I have a KM955, which is a different finish from the KM950. I bought a Reunion Blues case from Amazon and I've been very pleased with my choice. The case is a roomy so I use some rolled up socks to fill the space. There are two bags offered and I chose the less expensive which I think was $119.95. It's very light, very strong and attractive.

I use the case that the Mandolin Store supplied with my KM956. I don't what model the case is but it accommodates a Tone Gard and a McClung armrest with no problems. The case isn't flight-worthy. but is highly adequate for local use.

Quote Originally Posted by KOakley View Post
    I use the case that the Mandolin Store supplied with my KM956. I don't what model the case is but it accommodates a Tone Gard and a McClung armrest with no problems. The case isn't flight-worthy. but is highly adequate for local use.
    I think your case may be similar to what I have. Its not a bad case at all, I just want something a little more protective. I watched the video from the founder of Hiscox cases, and they seem to be pretty nice cases within a somewhat reasonable budget. As I said earlier, I wouldn't mind getting a Travelite, but when I tried the 950 in one I had before, I just could not get it to fit.