Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardanger Fiddle Tunes

Default Re: Hardanger Fiddle Tunes

I managed to find a domestic made hdgfl - ready to be shipped, so I'm eagerly awaiting.

I ordered the folio that beanzy mentioned - personally I find the tunes quite nice; it's performed on nyckelharpa on an accompanying CD.

I also obtained the "Nordic Fiddler" compilation - some nice Halling tunes on that one.

Got my fiddle in the mail! Here's the schottis Fran Malung out of the Vicki Swan book. https://youtu.be/Vn0g8jLQDdw

It's wild to control! Two Guts, flat fingerboard, loud.

3. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Sounds good!

5. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

Eiee! I just learned it's Swedish. Well maybe swung a bit cajun it doesn't matter. Seems like most of these are swedish tunes.

Eiee! I just learned it's Swedish. Well maybe swung a bit cajun it doesn't matter. Seems like most of these are swedish tunes.
    I didn't want to tell you that. Norwegian hardingfele music is even darker than Swedish and I also believe some even use quartertones and different scales. However i know at least one old time fiddler who recorded American tunes using one.

For actual hardanger music: try the Hardanger Fiddle Association of America. And here's a page with some tunes transcribed. And some recording excerpts to hear what it is supposed to sound like.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Aw well, I like a good schottis even if it isn't NOR. They remind me of strathspey. There's a lot of stuff on ytube I like.

*Would you know of any hdgfl in Northumbria, and region?
    Last edited by catmandu2; Jan-26-2019 at 12:29am.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Got my fiddle in the mail! Here's the schottis Fran Malung out of the Vicki Swan book. https://youtu.be/Vn0g8jLQDdw

It's wild to control! Two Guts, flat fingerboard, loud.
    It's wild to listen to - instant sound of Scandinavia. I guess you could play Klezmer music on that and it would still sound like some Halling.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Bertram, I don't know...scand fiddling is certainly idiomatic wrt rhythm, syncopation, ornamentation...

I really like the hdgfl - it's a feisty little machine, quite loud - I'm only using the tip of my bow there. I perform solo, so I like the volume to fill a room; armed with a box and a fiddle - it's about all I need. I tend to stomp my clogs while playing (other styles), so I figured trad scand would be the way to go..

This one is Reinlander Fran Norge - https://youtu.be/fLBG0oub9dc *gotta tame those gut strings. I need a new bow.

Here's Kathryn Tickell talking about it -
    https://youtu.be/HeYvWR8XfCc

13. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Cheap way to get hardingfele effect with your fiddle or mandolin:

Take a spare fiddle, mandolin, and/or capoed guitar and tune the strings similar to the hardingfele drones. If you have a clamp on mic-stand fiddle hanger, adjust it to a similar height to where you are playing your instrument. Keep the drone instrument(s) fairly close to you, (even facing toward you) so the sound will begin activating those strings with sympathetic resonance. If you are recording, put a mic on your 'drones'.

Do it in a stairwell or in the bathroom for enhanced effect!

Niles H

if you want to pick up some Norwegian, or Swedish..... https://www.duolingo.com/
    Last edited by mandocrucian; Jan-26-2019 at 7:50pm.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandocrucian For This Useful Post:

Niles: That is probably how the original hardangers played it back in the day.

For more Norwegian tunes (no guarantee that they are food for hardingfele!) try Northern Roots tune page. I couldn't get them to play but there is abc sheet music which you can convert to standard notation.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

17. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandocrucian View Post
    Cheap way to get hardingfele effect with your fiddle or mandolin:

Take a spare fiddle, mandolin, and/or capoed guitar and tune the strings similar to the hardingfele drones. If you have a clamp on mic-stand fiddle hanger, adjust it to a similar height to where you are playing your instrument. Keep the drone instrument(s) fairly close to you, (even facing toward you) so the sound will begin activating those strings with sympathetic resonance. If you are recording, put a mic on your 'drones'.

Do it in a stairwell or in the bathroom for enhanced effect!

Niles H
    I kind of get that effect in my finished basement music room - 20 instruments hanging from the walls and tile floor.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0220181318a.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	433.3 KB 
ID:	174364
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0220181318.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	492.8 KB 
ID:	174365

Ah! I love it. Taken a few days to get comfortable with it. It's like a supercharged fiddle - only 30 cm SL, but with a very nice, sparkling tone. I can lay supine in bed with my elbows resting and play with just my wrist - perfect for old men. Super-lightweight - I never knew my instrument's woods to be so translucent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190128_124330.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	544.7 KB 
ID:	174383  
    Last edited by catmandu2; Jan-28-2019 at 3:28pm.

For a case try Lark in the Morning. They carry Chinese-made HFs and might have cases to fit yours. Otherwise maybe try contacting HFAA and see if they know a source.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Ya the gal at HFAA said that she just modifies a violin case. Which is what I'm about to do.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Ah! I love it. Taken a few days to get comfortable with it. It's like a supercharged fiddle - only 30 cm SL, but with a very nice, sparkling tone. I can lay supine in bed with my elbows resting and play with just my wrist - perfect for old men. Super-lightweight - I never knew my instrument's woods to be so translucent.
    I think we're witnessinng a true love affair here. It's not translucent, it's sheer.
    The whole instrument is far from being uptight.
    I remember my astonishment at first sight of a hardingfele that I could see the soundpost from outside.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Ya. And the usual problem ensues...since being back on fiddle the past two months, I haven't touched my other instruments..

*Otoh, this hdgfl is going to help keep me from buying the dilruba I've been thinking of getting the past 5 years..
    Last edited by catmandu2; Jan-29-2019 at 11:44am.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Niles: That is probably how the original hardangers played it back in the day.

For more Norwegian tunes (no guarantee that they are food for hardingfele!) try Northern Roots tune page. I couldn't get them to play but there is abc sheet music which you can convert to standard notation.
    The sound files haven't worked for a while. They've been trying to get it fixed. They don't have any active hardangers in the group. But I think one or two of the fiddlers does have one at home. While they are not all "allspel" (common) they are a pretty good representation of what is played at Scandinavian and US festivals these days.

Full disclosure - I practice and perform with the group when I can. And have done so for the past couple years.

BTW, good recordings. Nice deep tone. Very different than the hardingfele I usually hear around here. Although the more modern versions are getting more bass.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

25. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Eric, I was listening to your group recording with nyckelharpa - inspired me to try something different. This is very rough-sounding, but I thought to record it to document the tune in case I forget it - it's from a compilation CD I was listening to a couple of years ago, of which I have no idea its current whereabouts! (Ferdavals/Voyage Waltz by Mari Eggen) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4t6_uXobLo

*I've seen a bit of that low fiddling like that on ytube...until I get round to obtaining a chin rest...I'm really bad about gear that way. I was going to scavenge one from an extra fiddle I see once a week, but forgot it yesterday. It's difficult to keep the thing from rotating axially though..
    Last edited by catmandu2; Jan-31-2019 at 1:26pm.

27. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Argh. I like the fiddle under the chin - rest or not. Here's the tune, or what I can remember of it.. https://youtu.be/6gaaUhmkINo

29. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Annbjørn Lien recorded The Lost Sheep on her album “Felefeber” if I’m not mistaken...

31. The following members say thank you to Jean Andreasen for this post:

I started into more fiddling again a couple of weeks ago - since having been primarily occupied with cumbia, Brazilian, and even a mandolin or two all spring.. But I started with that springar Annbjorn posted. Then I saw that Bernt Balchen has posted several and the Hopparen is very nice. I'm going to learn that Fanten that several players have posted, next.

It's been a lovely couple of weeks getting back on fiddle!

I haven't yet connected with anyone (about hdfl) on the couple of fiddle forums, so hoping for suggestions here..?

I still havent acquired a new bow, and the one I have feels entirely too heavy for this lightweight fiddle. Also, I'm unaware of more details about my strings: the two lowers are gut, which tend to be a lot squeekier! Is there anything, generally, I should consider in a bow hair for gut and steel?

Here's the Hopperen - not as smooth as Bernt Balchen yet - apologies for the squeeks! https://youtu.be/_d6AKMB4mTA

*Oh, I should say - holding the bow lighter definitely helps - but here I've loosened the hair to reduce squeeking, so my wrist is firm here to bear the weight. I normally play much looser.
    Last edited by catmandu2; Jul-09-2019 at 3:06pm.

I haven't yet connected with anyone (about hdfl) on the couple of fiddle forums, so hoping for suggestions here..?

I still havent acquired a new bow, and the one I have feels entirely too heavy for this lightweight fiddle. Also, I'm unaware of more details about my strings: the two lowers are gut, which tend to be a lot squeekier! Is there anything, generally, I should consider in a bow hair for gut and steel?

Here's the Hopperen - not as smooth as Bernt Balchen yet - apologies for the squeeks! https://youtu.be/_d6AKMB4mTA

*Oh, I should say - holding the bow lighter definitely helps - but here I've loosened the hair to reduce squeeking, so my wrist is firm here to bear the weight. I normally play much looser.
    For gut strings. here's a general article on how to approach playing gut strings on standard violins. This might be the key: "Are there any technical tricks to using gut? Yes. I clearly remember the first time I picked up an instrument with uncovered gut strings – I could hardly make a sound. It’s important to draw the bow rather than dig it in. Too much pressure with the first finger on the bow just dampens the sound, and can even stop it altogether."

As for a bow, it looks like Benedicte Maurseth plays with what looks like a baroque violin bow here. You might try a some lighter standard violin bows. Or, if you want to try something even stranger, an Incredibow. A fiddle-playing friend of mine uses one for his main bow. I tried it and hated it but maybe for this it would work better than your too-heavy bow. I think they are pretty inexpensive compared to standard violin bows, or at least decent ones.

BTW catmandu: where was your hardanger fiddle made? You said domestic. What country?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

35. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Thanks for the links. Ya, I have an old worn-out lightweight bow that's closer to a baroque style, that'll prbly work better. And the (forefinger) hold, a la Bernt Balchen, works quite well for the touch - I'll probably go with that as well.. I was trying to make as much as possible of my std fiddle technique work. But it calls for some specific technique.

My fdl was made in sothern Cal.