Thread: Met a fellow mandolin player in the woods.

Default Met a fellow mandolin player in the woods.

Was doing some camping in the Chickasaw National Park area in Oklahoma last weekend. Noticed a cool pickup truck/campershell set up a couple sites down. Started chatting with the fellow and noticed a Collings sticker on his camper. He turned out to be a Collings MF player as well as a dobro guy. Didn't have long to talk, and in the course of the conversation never asked his name or if he hangs out here. I was just struck with the smallness of the world in this instance.

What were the odds of finding a mandolin player in such a place? He said he'd been up to Winfield jamming. I figure he was probably way out of my league as a player, though it still would have been fun to jam if time would have permitted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E0858.JPG 
Views:	298 
Size:	918.8 KB 
ID:	161535  

Default Re: Met a fellow mandolin player in the woods.

Caleb, When I meet someone like that and he says he is a picker, I make time to jam some, to see how good he is and also just to see if he is just spreading the bull, but if he had a Collings sticker on his camper chances are he knew what he was doing...

Willie

Caleb,

That was me! It was nice meeting you and chatting and a shame we didn't get to pick a little bit too. I had just come from the Oklahoma bluegrass festival up in Guthrie and was heading over to the shop of dobro builder Kent Schoonover who lives nearby. I already have one of his instruments and ordered another while I was there.

Next time we cross paths we will pick together for sure!
    willi

4. The following members say thank you to mandowilli for this post:

Caleb 

Willi, was nice talking with you, and sorry for not properly introducing myself there in the park. I wish we could have played some, but I had my hands full with four children. Maybe our paths will cross again. I really dug your Steinbeck campershell set up. If you decide to read TRAVELS WITH CHARLEY sometime, be sure and give me your thoughts.

It is a small world!

It's odd the way things happen at times. A few years back,whilst visiting my home town of Northwich in Cheshire,my wife & myself visited a Cafe to get a coffe etc. The Cafe is close to a Marina for Canal boats moored on the Trent & Mersey canal. We had a stroll down to have a look at them & there was one named ''Bluegrass''. Unfortunately,the owners weren't around. I often wondered if the owner was a player or not,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canal boat mooring.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	335.3 KB 
ID:	161550
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.