Thread: Pick help

Default Pick help

I'm new to this (about to make a post in the newbie section). I've had my mandolin less than a week, it's an RT-FM1. Along with it I ordered a lesson book, a strap, and a pack of 3 primetone picks. The sound of the primetones is definitely better than the .75mm regular no name brand guitar pick I was using, but I almost feel like the pick sticks to the strings if that makes any sense. What picks do y'all recommend?

Default Re: Pick help

One thing you make sure of, is don't strike the pick against the strings with the pick flat, or parallel to the strings. You want to be holding the pick at a bit of a forward angle. At least that's what works best for me. It was explained well in the one of the Mike Marshall Artistworks video lessons.
    There was a recent thread in the General section about pick hold. Give that a read.
    Here's a good video from Mike Marshall with a few good beginner tips.
    Also, another video I always recommend watching is Chris Thile's pick hold tutorial.

3. The following members say thank you to wxfloyd for this post:

You may be digging into the string with too much of the pick, also. Those Mike Marshall and Chris Thile videos are excellent resources on improving your technique.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Welcome to the Cafe. In the Forum section there are many threads on picks and recommendations are plentiful. There are many styles, thicknesses and different pick materials to choose from. There is even a pick sample collection to borrow and get a feel for some of the differences. In the end , after much trying, you will discover which pick (or picks) is most pleasing to you. However remember you ,like all here, have entered into a never ending journey towards "the ultimate sound". Three picks that I use more often than not are: Dunlop Ultex, Primetone,and a Blue Chip (all triangle shaped)
    My Uncle's Stella
    The Loar 600

"I've suffered for my music-now it's your turn."--Neil Innes

I like the shape and thickness of the primetones I have, I'd really like a genuine tortoise shell pick (I've played with a friend's on guitar before and loved it) but at $55 per pick I'm not sure I can justify that (especially considering I only payed $160 for my instrument)

Quote Originally Posted by Ccnati View Post
    I like the shape and thickness of the primetones I have, I'd really like a genuine tortoise shell pick (I've played with a friend's on guitar before and loved it) but at $55 per pick I'm not sure I can justify that (especially considering I only payed $160 for my instrument)
    Try a Red Bear pick in the shape you prefer. They feel EXTREMELY similar to a certain type of pick we're not supposed to mention on here.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Often it feels as if the pick is sticking to the strings when squeezing the pick too tightly between your fingers. This is especially noticeable when using tremolo.
    Try different picks to see which feels right to you. Keep in mind your choice will change from time to time as your playing develops and or changes.
    As far as pick recommendations just keep experimenting on your own. Asking for a pick recommendation is like asking for the best pizza shop in NYC.You will get just as many opinions.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

If you're a one week player, the issue with the pick is probably more with your technique than the pick itself. Primetones are terrific and are my current favorite. I use the triangle 1.5mm picks with the sculpted anti slip. I tried the rounded ones but found them a tad dull sounding. My remedy is to round one corner of the pick slightly to make it easier for the pick to slip off the strings. I use something along the lines of this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Pack-6-Way-Na...il%2Bfile&th=1
    It lets you round the tip pretty quickly, then sand it progressively smoother.
    Round it a bit, test, remove more until the pick plays the way you like.If you look closely at the pick, you'll notice that the points have a bit of a bevel to them. Try to recreate this on the corner you modify. As a bonus you'll end up with a pick that can deliver two distinct sounds, depending on which corner you play with.
    There's a traveling pick sampler, where people are sending a growing collection of picks to the next person on the list. Sign up for that and eventually you'll get to try lots of picks, including some of the really expensive ones.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...ight=pick+tour
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.