Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To use one’s pinkie or not part 2

Default To use one’s pinkie or not part 2

In my other pinky thread the majority were clear that using four fingers to pick is better than three. Others said it didn’t matter. So my next question is what are the benefits of not using one’s pinky? I can’t see any pluses, only short changing one’s skill set.
    Eastman MD 515
    1991 33SB Gemeinhardt Flute
    1996 Yamaha YAS 62 Alto Sax

Default Re: To use one’s pinkie or not part 2

You save all that time working on your pinky dexterity, but that’s probably offset by learning to shift position smoothly and quickly
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    You save all that time working on your pinky dexterity, but that’s probably offset by learning to shift position smoothly and quickly
    On the other hand, you may not have to "shift position(s) smoothly and quickly" as much if you use the pinky.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    In my other pinky thread the majority were clear that using four fingers to pick is better than three. Others said it didn’t matter. So my next question is what are the benefits of not using one’s pinky? I can’t see any pluses, only short changing one’s skill set.
    The only benefit I can see is that it is often easier.

The argument being that there is a lot to learn, one can't learn everything over night, and when prioritizing what to work on, not using the pinky may not be the most egregious departure from standard technique.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

One downside is my pinky if stretched too far cannot fret the note very well, sometimes not enough pressure to get a clear note. I am working on this. But I keep looking at videos of Chris Thile, and (even though his fingers are about twice the length of mine) I hope to get the dexterity he has.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    The only benefit I can see is that it is often easier.

The argument being that there is a lot to learn, one can't learn everything over night, and when prioritizing what to work on, not using the pinky may not be the most egregious departure from standard technique.
    I understand that point of view. In my case I am working on everything at once. As a musician of many decades, I decided to not touch my mandolin until my first lesson. Reason being I wanted to learn the instrument using correct technique from the start. It is far easier to learn good technique than to unlearn bad technique. My approach is to understand the mandolin with good technique. No shortcuts. After 20 months my pinky is fully engaged. Not 100%, but this is my first stringed instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    One downside is my pinky if stretched too far cannot fret the note very well, sometimes not enough pressure to get a clear note. I am working on this. But I keep looking at videos of Chris Thile, and (even though his fingers are about twice the length of mine) I hope to get the dexterity he has.
    My pinky gets stronger by the week. When I practice at home that pinky is vertical and deliberate. When I play with friends it does fine and I laugh when it misses the mark. Is happening less and less with time.
    Eastman MD 515
    1991 33SB Gemeinhardt Flute
    1996 Yamaha YAS 62 Alto Sax

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I am doing both, whatever comes in handy. Here is an example (back in the time when my videos were gaslight grainy): in the B part of Maid Behind the Bar I use the pinky for two quick jumps to a single note and directly afterwards I do a shift to the same note for a doublestop.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

8. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    There is zero benefit from deliberately not using the 4th finger.

Mostly, not using the 4th finger allows one to remain at the level of technical ability they already are.

The only reason for not using all 4 fingers, particularly the 4th finger, is for musical reasons of phrasing, or actual physical disability.

You can always point out some famous player that does not use finger 4 much, etc.

Instead of thinking that means that I too can get away with not using the 4th finger, I tend to wonder how much better those guys would be if they did use proper technique.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Attaining proficiency with the pinky does not mean that you MUST use the pinky at all times. It gives you the option of doing what needs to be done in a specific situation.

I would prefer to use only 3 fingers because I chose to do so that day, rather than because I have no choice!!

Aside: (You could probably get through life without learning to read or ride a bike, too.)
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

12. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Attaining proficiency with the pinky does not mean that you MUST use the pinky at all times. It gives you the option of doing what needs to be done in a specific situation.

I would prefer to use only 3 fingers because I chose to do so that day, rather than because I have no choice!!

Aside: (You could probably get through life without learning to read or ride a bike, too.)
    For what it's worth, I'd offer that we're talking about the physical training/conditioning of the hands and fingers which is no different than physical training of larger muscle groups in a gym, a martial art, or any other physical practice. So the pinky must be conditioned the same way as the other three fingers on the fretting hand in order to maintain proper fretboard positioning ("fret board posture" if I'm still using the analogy to exercise/training).

I am a believer in proper positioning for tunes, improvisation, switching between chords and melody, etc. So, to agree w/ others here - there would be no benefit to re-learning tunes, positions, phrases, runs, or even exercises excluding the pinky (unless a physical ailment whether temporary or long term - injury or arthritis, etc.) when the proper position calls for it. We know our pinky owns the 7th and 8th frets when in first position. When in a chop chord in the key of G for example, your pinky needs to be engaged to grab the 3rd (the b note at 7th fret of the e string) for tunes as fundamental as blackberry blossom right up through improvisations that Bill Monroe would use.

Not to overdo this but I do feel that we should strengthen the pinky so we can maintain proper posture, positioning, etc. It's easy to chose to slide w/ 3rd finger into the 4th finger territory if/when we chose to do it because we want the affect of the slide but making a decision to bend the rules is much different than being bound to incorrect technique in my opinion.

I hope everyone is enjoying their musical journey today.

14. The following members say thank you to MandoJason for this post:

I have been trying to train my little finger for years with limited success.

In addition to having short fingers on chubby hands, I slashed my pinky once between the palm and first joint and severed the nerves, about 30 years ago.

They grew right back to the tip in about five years, amazingly, after a few wrong turns when halfway down the side of my pinky felt like the fingertip . But still lacks some force and feeling.

I still use it a lot, mainly because training yourself to constantly shift position to favour the other fingers is even harder.
    Bren

16. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

Blog Entries

One trick I figured out that makes pinky use easier.

I too find it difficult to stretch that pinky all the way up there and get that note with authority.

So try this. Don't treat your pinky as a full fledged finger. Think of it as a pet of the third finger. A pet on a leash.

What I mean is if you have to deploy the pinky up on the seventh fret, say, deploy the third finger to the sixth or fifth fret on the same string. It won't make any difference to the sound, but will add a lot of strength to the pinky. Think of it as if you deploy the third finger near by and the pinky, on its leash can reach a little farther.

Often enough you will be coming down from that high note and having the third finger already in place really helps.

Just a thought.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

I use the pinky when it makes sense to do it. Sometimes it's needed, other times not.

20. The following members say thank you to Erok for this post:

There is no advantage to refusing to use the fourth finger on your fretting hand. End of story.

22. The following members say thank you to Alex Orr for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Erok View Post
    I use the pinky when it makes sense to do it. Sometimes it's needed, other times not.
    Are you trying to inject logic into this discussion?
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

24. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post

Choice! YES!

What I mean is if you have to deploy the pinky up on the seventh fret, say, deploy the third finger to the sixth or fifth fret on the same string. It won't make any difference to the sound, but will add a lot of strength to the pinky. Think of it as if you deploy the third finger near by and the pinky, on its leash can reach a little farther.
    Support fingers are a good idea in most string instrument playing. Besides, it's more efficient and faster.

I always use my pinky, except when I don't. In those cases I use one of the other fingers

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stevo75 For This Useful Post:

I think we should all just chop off our pinky. It's really the only way forward.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

My pinky is lazy, weak and with a bad muscle memory. I always have to fight with him, forcing him to obey! The other fingers are all good ones...

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    I think we should all just chop off our pinky. It's really the only way forward.
    I disagree. Simply don't use it and it'll slough off on its own. (Legend has it that ancient mando players once had TWO pinkies per hand, pinky major and pinky minor...and that is why bluegrass just isnt as good as it used to be)

But, we should explore this...say, in a new concordance - Pinky part 3.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catmandu2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Pinky part 3.
    The Revenge of Zombie Pinky - this time it's personal.

34. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

jshane 

Blog Entries

Night Of The Living Thread.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beanzy For This Useful Post:

Enough of this foolishness, let's get this guy to weigh in here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	minime.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	162010  

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

PInkies with f'n lazer beams.

I'm waiting for the thread about my pinky pressed 'purchase' and now I have an extra Gilchrist! How much can we talk about me before I return it?

41. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post: