Thread: Apple ISO app not working

Registered User mandolin breeze's Avatar

Default Apple ISO app not working

Clicked on my MC app and a message popped up saying the app needed to be updated, but when I clicked to perform the update, nothing happened. So, I deleted the app and went to the Apple app store to reinstall hoping that would fix the issue . . . well, now there is no MC app to be found at all???

Hoping that you are already aware of this issue and working on it. Please advise.

Thanks much!

Default Re: Apple ISO app not working

Have you recently updated to IOS 11? I just got a message that the current version is no longer supported by the IOS 11.

Blog Entries

If I recall correctly, the Mandolin Cafe did not develop that app. The original author would need to update it. I only access the site via Safari or Chrome on my iPhone,

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin breeze View Post
    Clicked on my MC app and a message popped up saying the app needed to be updated, but when I clicked to perform the update, nothing happened. So, I deleted the app and went to the Apple app store to reinstall hoping that would fix the issue . . . well, now there is no MC app to be found at all???

Hoping that you are already aware of this issue and working on it. Please advise.

Thanks much!
    It is dead. Rest in peace. I haven't had it installed on my own phone for probably over 5 years. Sorry. I'm not an app developer and the person that did it for us for experience moved on.

That's quite depressing to hear . . . but it is what it is I guess. Any chance of reaching out to the developer?

Or would you consider having one developed? Let's face it, we live in a mobile world now, and mobile apps are many folks primary access to things. I'll bet that there would be a lot of MC members willing to make a small donation to have a MC app developed. In today's reality, I think it's a near must have. Why not at least present this to the members, I'll bet that there is someone in the community who could put one together in their sleep. I'll make the first donation. Please, consider this!
    Last edited by mandolin breeze; Nov-08-2017 at 10:11pm.

It’s already there!

In the bottom left hand corner of the page there’s a drop down that probably says mandolin, change that to default mobile style and the layout is better for a mobile device.

Ok it’s not an app but it is easier to use on a smartphone. But most “apps” for a website are no more than a wrapper for the mobile theme with little native functionality.

OCT - don't know what you're referring to when you say "the page". What page? Nothing like that at the bottom of the "home page". And what you're describing is nothing close to a real mobile app anyway. The discontinued or "outdated" MC app was a real app, and it worked great on the iPhone. The main thing I miss is the mp3 streaming. When you played a song using the app, it automatically played the next song in sequence and continued until you stopped it. That was a fantastic way to listen to all the various mandolin players, songs and styles. If you try and do that from the website using your phone, after the song ends, that's it, it won't play the next tune auto. That means you have to pull out your phone, log back into your phone, pull up the website, navigate to the mp3 page, find where you left off and then hit the link. What's that, about 6 steps? Now, if there is a way to listen to the mp3 postings automatically in the website, and I could absolutely be missing something, I wish someone would tell me (us) how. I'm sure the artist that take the time to make their music available on the mp3 link would really appreciate it if this was made easy and effective to use. I'm also sure that the members that want to listen would also appreciate it.

Again, there is certainly someone in our community that could easily put together a simple app similar to the old one. If a few bucks needed to be raised to accomplish this, that would be simple to achieve and many many members would be glad to do so. Shouldn't this be a discussion on the "General Mandolin Discussions" forum? Once again, this is an increasing mobile world and even when at home I'll bet there is a big percentage of us that use our phones rather than the computer anyway. Let's stay up with the times . . . progress is good.

Like I said the mobile view is not a full app but works well enough for the message boards.

Didn’t know about the old app and mp3 streaming etc.. Could possibly be solved by a Spotify or iTunes playlist but that’s another overhead for the site owner.

Bottom line with an app is it’s a high overhead to design, develop, test, get approved on Apple & Google stores, support and develop with little payback for the developer. We’re a fairly niche community so even if we all paid the basic £0.79 for an app I doubt it would cover costs.

OCT, appreciate your thoughts, but please don't interject yourself as a pseudo administrator. It's always better to have a positive, "can do" approach, finding solutions and moving forward rather than imagining why something can't be done.

I'm not trying to "interject yourself as a pseudo administrator" whatever that may mean. I was merely trying to point out that the task was more complex than you seemed to assume. As my thoughts seemed unwelcome I'll leave this conversation.