Thread: Bridges/String Spacing

Default Bridges/String Spacing

Is the spacing between sets of strings standard on bridges, or does it vary per brand of bridges, personal preference, etc?

Default Re: Bridges/String Spacing

a bridge can even be supplied with no slots , and you can choose, for yourself.

I got a replacement upper made, , marked a card, when I sent the $ and it came back just like the original, (1922 A4)
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

All necks are not the same, so the need to slightly space differently on the bridge would be necessary to have the strings go evenly down the neck.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Most (if not all) mandolins are built to similar dimensions these days. It seems that a 'standard' of sorts was established a long while back when builders began to 'replicate' Gibson-looking mandolins. If you buy a pre-slotted mandolin bridge,simply check the slot positions out on your mandolin. If it suits fine,if not,you can sand them off & cut your own slots - or simply order an un-slotted one.

I bought a slotted Cumberland Acoustic bridge for a once owne Lebeda mandolin. Unfortunately,the bridge saddle was 'flat' & the mandolin neck was curved. I had to remove the saddle,sand the slots off it & make it curved,using the old bridge as a template. I most likely would have had to sand the slots off it & re-cut it anyway,as the Lebeda necks are wider than standard - in fact the whole mandoldin is a tad larger than 'standard'. Cutting the slots was done with a scalpel. They hardly need to be anything more than a cut to keep the strings in place & stop them from moving sideways.The strings will bed themselves in soon enough under their own pressure,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.