Thread: Stuart Duncan Transcription- Pretty Fair Maid in the Garden

Default Stuart Duncan Transcription- Pretty Fair Maid in the Garden

Another one for y'all, this time it is Stuart's tasty solo over 'Pretty Fair Maid in the Garden.' Not only do you get Stuart playing fiddle, you get Tim's singing.. Enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pretty Fair Maid in the Garden.pdf 
Views:	228 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	162383

Send me some YouTube videos that I should look at and transcribe. I am always looking for recommendations!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jake Howard For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Stuart Duncan Transcription- Pretty Fair Maid in the Garden

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Howard View Post

Send me some YouTube videos that I should look at and transcribe. I am always looking for recommendations!
    Here's one that I have chipped away at, a few notes at a time, for about a year.

Here's what I got so far. I think there are some corrections to be made to what I have so far and I haven't finished. Wiley tabs.tef

I would love it if you chose to correct and finish the task.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Natural Born Tar Heel Perilous Deep's Avatar

Thanks a lot for this. "Pretty Fair Maid" is sch a great song, and Stuart's fiddle break is really tasteful here. I'll look forward to checking this out when I can play along. How do you find those fast double-stop transitions (measures 3, 6, and 11 mainly) work with a pick? Do you pick them all through, or slur some like Duncan does?
    "Pick it solid, boys." -Claude Debussy

I'll Have to check that out when I get a chance, Caleb plays some sweet tunes. Hopefully I'll get to see him play live soon!

As for the fast double stop transitions, they can be tricky with a pick. Some of them sound okay with a pick while others not so much. A good exercise is to watch Stu's bow strokes and try to match them with your picking. Luckily for us you can slow down YouTube videos which is the best thing ever.

For example, it looks like in measure 3 (starting on the F and Bb double stop) you would pick that down and then us an upstroke on the next double stop (D and Bb). Then for the next three double stops in the succession (G and Bb double stop and ending with the Eb note) you would down pick and slur the three together. Then the C note on the 'and' of 4 would be an upstroke. Might feel weird at first but it will get you the closest to sounding like you have a bow.

Hi Jake,

As you asked for videos to transcribe, here's a great tune played by Matt Witler, Tim O'Brien's "Lands End."

Jack

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hubp3xw5iOI"]