Thread: I' te vurria vasà

Default I' te vurria vasà

I recorded this beautiful neapolitan song usin a midi backing track.

Last edited by Jairo Ramos; Nov-24-2017 at 5:13pm.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jairo Ramos For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: I' te vurria vasà

I can't get the link to work. Anybody else?
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

I see no link . . . but I'd like to.

Here is the link to Jairo's recording:

https://soundcloud.com/jairorp/i-te-vurria-vasa

Interesting circus organ sound on the MIDI backing track -- makes for an atmospheric sound!

I recorded the same song last year -- here is mine:

Martin

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Sorry, but seems to be an error in the tag for soundcloud...In preview mode works perfectly...

Quote Originally Posted by Jairo Ramos Parra View Post
    I recorded this beautiful neapolitan song usin a midi backing track.
    Very pretty!

Nicely played. And you sure have that tremolo working good, sounds nice & sweet.

And that's some very graceful rubato (slowing down), usually I don't have much appreciation for rubato, but you make it sound just right, it all flows together very smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    Here is the link to Jairo's recording:

https://soundcloud.com/jairorp/i-te-vurria-vasa
    Thanks for that link, Martin.

Interesting circus organ sound on the MIDI backing track -- makes for an atmospheric sound!
    MIDI flute, I think? Sounds alright to me, knowing that it's MIDI, my ears automatically "fill in the gaps" to turn the MIDI sound into what I figure it's probably supposed to be.

Maybe a little easier for me to do that because I grew up listening to scratchy records where you *know* what it's *supposed* to sound like, but you also know that the record isn't giving an authentic reproduction of the original sound, so your hearing perception sort of adjusts itself on the fly as you're listening to the piece. In the case of old records, it involved mentally filtering-out the inherent flaws in the early recording and playback equipment. After a while it's just an automatic process the mind/ears do, you don't even consciously think about it. But for people who aren't already accustomed to doing that, their listening experience is entirely different.

So, with MIDI, it's kind of the same thing, the ear/mind recognizes the MIDI 'instrument', but at the same time realizes the potential of what it would sound like if that were a real instrument (or a better sampled 'instrument' or something).

Lately I've been experimenting with MIDI playback of standard-notation music scores in a notation app (MuseScore 2), and it's usually a challenge to find the right MIDI 'instrument' for a particular part. I've tried different "soundfonts", but it's always a compromise of one sort or another, when trying to select MIDI 'instrument' sounds. One MIDI 'instrument' might have ok sound but has too much sustain/reverb built in which can't be adjusted, another of my MIDI 'instruments' has some notes that are inexplicably out of tune (?) which renders it useless if those notes are played, yet another is unbalanced (highs too soft, bass too loud or vice versa), etc, seems like "it's always something" (always some sort of compromise) when it comes to MIDI. But, the convenience, low resource usage, and tiny file sizes, have advantages.

I wouldn't have thought of the "circus" angle until Martin mentioned it, then I'm like "hm, maybe that midi flute does sound a little like that" - but in my mind while I'm listening, I'm 'hearing' a flute (or flute-like instrument of some sort).

I recorded the same song last year -- here is mine:

Martin
    Sounds good, Martin. And I'm always amazed at your seemingly endless supply of art pictures featuring mandolins.

9. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post: