Thread: Take Five - Solo Mandolin Arrangement [With Tablature]

Default Take Five - Solo Mandolin Arrangement [With Tablature]

Hey everyone, I'm new to the Cafe and wanted to share a new project I'm working on with all of you. I have been practicing arranging some of my favorite songs into solo mandolin pieces sometimes for better or for worse. There is not a lot of resources for learning to play the mandolin as a solo instrument nor is it usually considered designed for such a thing. To sort of change that, I will be including tablature and notation in the video description to try and help others wishing to play like this. Any feedback is welcomed. Thanks all!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Wild For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Take Five - Solo Mandolin Arrangement [With Tablature]

Thank you! Lovely, but I didn't see any tab. Wait for other confirmation, but the original is in 5/4 (hence the name) and I think you're playing it in 4/4 . Keep posting, please!

Don't play what's there, play what's not there. - Miles Davis

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good start! 5/4 time is tricky and there are a few moments where, I think, you lose track of the time signature.
    There are a few players who specialize in jazz music and some who are quite adept at chord-melody solo. Jethro Burns was a giant, of course. Check out David Benedict's Mandolin Mondays. Ah, and Google up Aaron Weinstein on YouTube for a real treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Simpson View Post
    Thank you! Lovely, but I didn't see any tab. Wait for other confirmation, but the original is in 5/4 (hence the name) and I think you're playing it in 4/4 . Keep posting, please!
    Hey Sid, the tab is in the video description as a pdf. Here is the link for it. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UQ7...ew?usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by AKA Frosty View Post
    Good start! 5/4 time is tricky and there are a few moments where, I think, you lose track of the time signature.
    There are a few players who specialize in jazz music and some who are quite adept at chord-melody solo. Jethro Burns was a giant, of course. Check out David Benedict's Mandolin Mondays. Ah, and Google up Aaron Weinstein on YouTube for a real treat.
    It is very possible. Time signatures are definitely not my strong point but I made sure my notation software was in 5/4 when working this out. Who knows though. Thank you very much for the feedback and recommendations. I will definitely check them out!

Nice playing in a good key for mandolin! Counts out like 5/4 to me except for one place near the end in the transition from the B part back to the A part. Maybe one beat is missing but it comes right back to 5/4. The lead sheets I see online have the solo start on the four beat with four eighth notes.
    Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

Well done.

You should check out Evan Marshall -

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

8. The following members say thank you to Steve Sorensen for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Very nice playing, Mandolin Wild! Very enjoyable listen, thanks for sharing.

I don't know if I can agree that there is a terrible lack of solo mandolin out there - but I believe there is a pretty good dearth of solo mandolin with vocals out there. It's done, but not often, and it's always a joy for me to watch the ones I can find.

Another one to check out on solo mandolin work is Tim Connell, check out his album Mandalone

Name:  mandalone.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  35.9 KB

Interview here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/c...nell-Interview
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

That's lovely. Thanks for providing the Tab file. That should keep me busy for a couple of years

Nice! And yes, it is definitely in 5/4.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyonPete View Post
    Nice playing in a good key for mandolin! Counts out like 5/4 to me except for one place near the end in the transition from the B part back to the A part. Maybe one beat is missing but it comes right back to 5/4. The lead sheets I see online have the solo start on the four beat with four eighth notes.
    You're right and good ear! Right at the transition where the harmonics are is where I accidentally changed the time.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenS View Post
    Well done.

You should check out Evan Marshall -

Steve
    Oh wow. He is truly out of this world. It almost seems impossible what he's doing. I have to learn this technique if it's the last thing I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Very nice playing, Mandolin Wild! Very enjoyable listen, thanks for sharing.

I don't know if I can agree that there is a terrible lack of solo mandolin out there - but I believe there is a pretty good dearth of solo mandolin with vocals out there. It's done, but not often, and it's always a joy for me to watch the ones I can find.

Another one to check out on solo mandolin work is Tim Connell, check out his album Mandalone

Name:  mandalone.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  35.9 KB

Interview here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/c...nell-Interview
    Very cool! I'm loving and learning a lot just from the recommendations in this thread. I'm am definitely picking up his album and book.

13. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Wild for this post:

Nice indeed Mando Wild!
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18