Thread: Hello and thanks from a new player

Default Hello and thanks from a new player

Ukulele and guitar player and soon to be mandolin player here. I want to thank everyone in the forum for all the valuable info that can be found on this site. Rather than starting a new thread, I searched your forum extensively and found lots of informative threads to help me decide on what mandolin might be a good beginner mandolin for me. I wanted an American made instrument that wouldn't break the bank, versatile but good for bluegrass. To stretch my limited budget, I went for used A-style. You gave me lots of great recommendations and with a little bit of patience and lots of looking. I located a nice older U.S. made Breedlove Quartz. Thanks again for helping me make a more informed choice. Now, on to learn some mando chords, while I research local teachers!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Re: Hello and thanks from a new player

A role model Cafe user, so far, it seems:

responsible research: 100%
    silly questions: 0%
    mandolin acquired per post: 0.5

It's far too late for me to take that challenge
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

Happy New Mandolin Day!

As I said in an earlier post, I recently picked up a US Breedlove at auction. If you're trying to date it, have a look at the Breedlove website.

Yep, this is an awesome site with tons of knowledge and advice. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    As I said in an earlier post, I recently picked up a US Breedlove at auction. If you're trying to date it, have a look at the Breedlove website.
    Thanks for the info! I looked mine up. It's a 2001. Should be nicely opened by now. It's actually in transit right now, so I'm using this time to watch mando lessons, so I can hit the ground running when it comes this weekend.

Blog Entries

Welcome, Bunnyf. Come visit us over at the Newbies social group (see my signature info, below).

Older Breedloves are underappreciated in my opinion. Glad you could snag one before folks open their eyes and ears. I think the A models look considerably nicer than the modern looking F's and F-stubbies. But they all seem to sound nice.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Welcome, Bunnyf. Come visit us over at the Newbies social group (see my signature info, below).

Older Breedloves are underappreciated in my opinion. Glad you could snag one before folks open their eyes and ears. I think the A models look considerably nicer than the modern looking F's and F-stubbies. But they all seem to sound nice.
    Thanks for the invite Hank! Just signed up for "newbies" and will spend some time browsing while awaiting my mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyf View Post
    Thanks for the invite Hank! Just signed up for "newbies" and will spend some time browsing while awaiting my mandolin.
    Welcome, Im a newbie too but a great site full of great folks especially for a beginner.
    R