Thread: Questions About My Kentucky - Robert I'm Counting On You

Default Questions About My Kentucky - Robert I'm Counting On You

I have a discontinued Kentucky KM171 oval A. Are they basically the same as the 270/272s except for color? How good on a scale of 1 to 10 is it and would it benefit from a cast tail piece? Lastly, I would like for it to have larger frets, but is it worthy of that much money or should I sell and buy something more to my liking? Thanks

Default Re: Questions About My Kentucky - Robert I'm Counting On You

Here's the link to Robert's page on it:
    https://www.folkmusician.com/product...-hole-mandolin
    The KM171 is no longer in production. Kentucky does not make a 170 level oval hole mandolin anymore. The KM171 is equivalent to the previous KM150 in specs. The current Kentucky lineup, including the KM 270 & KM 272 are made in a different factory and are a step up from the KM171. Construction is markedly different. On some models of the KM170/171/172 the neck is joined at the 10th fret, others at the 12th fret. The KM270/272 the neck is A5 style and joined at the 15th fret. Other differences, KM170 series have flat fretboards and traditional fretwire. KM270 series have radiused fretboards and modern size fretwire.

If you're looking to make those changes and you like the Kentucky oval, You can buy as new KM270 from Elderly for less than $340.
    https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ma...0-mandolin.htm
    Use discount code "SONG" to get 10% off the $375 price.
    I wouldn't put any money into the KM171.

Bet you could get $200ish for yours depending on condition
    Last edited by colorado_al; Jan-10-2018 at 1:16am.

Hi Tom, sorry to crash the thread - how's the new 1500? Did it finally arrive?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny60 View Post
    Hi Tom, sorry to crash the thread - how's the new 1500? Did it finally arrive?
    Oh yes. I had it shipped to my mother's house to be delivered Monday. Well, as luck would have it, no one was home to sign for it so it was to be delivered Tuesday. I don't know if I mentioned it, but my father passed away about three weeks ago and I've been trying to get loose ends tied up so wasn't for sure if I would be there Tuesday either. I left a note that it was ok to leave without a signature and headed to UPS. I explained the situation to them and lo and behold the truck it was on hadn't left yet so I got to pick it up right there.

Last night I was here alone and got out all four of my mandos to just kind of compare, a km150, km171, km855, and the km1500. It had a new set of strings on it so had to keep tuning, but that was ok. Man, what a nice chop and just a full overall sound. It is going to get a setup next week as the strings are way too high for me. This mando is way more than I need now or probably will ever need.

It did have a couple of very small issues. One of the truss rod cover screws was missing, but found it in the case. It would not tighten up so broke a small piece of toothpick off in the hole and it tightened right up. It also had a couple of little finish flaws but that was from the factory and not the OP. I am quite pleased overall and that is all that matters.

5. The following members say thank you to Torpedotom for this post:

Really sorry to hear about your dad, didn't realise that had happened.

Glad you finally got the new mandolin. Sounds like you're collecting Kentucky's! Have to say, I've been very impressed with every Master Model I've played so far.

Very sorry that your father passed.

Al covered it well. The 270 series is a complete redesign. The body dimensions, arching, etc.. are significantly different. . Actually, everything is significantly different.

A re-fret is not something you would want to pay to have done. If you can do it yourself, for the cost of fret wire, absolutely! Same for the bridge. A better bridge (well fitted), would give you some improvement, but probably not something I would pay to have done. For just the cost of the bridge (and you fit it), would be a nice upgrade.

The tailpiece, well.... More a personal call there.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger