Thread: Interested in learning chord melody...

Default Interested in learning chord melody...

I'm considering purchasing either Aaron Weinstein's "Mandolin Chord Melody System" or Ted Eschliman's "Getting into Jazz Mandolin". Does anyone have thoughts on which of these two books I would get more out of or should start with?

Thanks

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Interested in learning chord melody...

Round round get around, I get around. Or, Deja Vu ...

Didn't write in the other post, since I haven't used either of the resources, but knowing these guys I think you'd do well to use both. Start with either. You'll learn something from each person's perspective. And is it really fair to ask our opinions which one you'll get more out of? That's something to determine for yourself after you worked with each. The question assumes that anyone who answers with an informed opinion will have used both - so why not use both yourself?

Aaron's work is extremely impressive and he's educated. Same goes for Ted, and Ted's actually a moderator here too. Wow, what a question. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Get both!

And then, go for Skype lessons with Pete Martin
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

3. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

My simpleton's approach to chord melody is to make them up according to my ear's desire. If you can construct chords, keep the melody note on top and maintain a pulse you're on your way. My chord melodies are intentionally simple with the essence of the song out front. I leave the improv and embellishments for later when/if inspiration strikes.

Having said all that, I agree with Mr. Gunter - either or both books + Skype lessons.
    [note to self] Burst not thy brother's bubble ~ unk

5. The following members say thank you to 40bpm for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by 40bpm View Post
    My simpleton's approach to chord melody is to make them up according to my ear's desire. If you can construct chords, keep the melody note on top and maintain a pulse you're on your way. My chord melodies are intentionally simple with the essence of the song out front. I leave the improv and embellishments for later when/if inspiration strikes.
    I take a similar approach. Take a simple melody, find the double stops and larger chords that are nearby and meld them together. As a novice on mandolin, the results aren't the best, but I learn a great deal about new chord voicings by experimenting like this by ear.

Here is a recent, rather clodgy & inelegant result of this method - but the lessons learned doing stuff like this are worth sucking at it while I learn.

None of the above helps answer your question though. You're doing the sensible thing by studying masters of the craft, and I hope to do the same once I finish some other studies already begun. Good luck with your quest.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

7. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

40bpm 

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

OK .... As stated above either or both ... working out your own harmony chord forms starting with the melody tone is also valid self instruction. Keep in mind the third is more important than the fifth and when playing with others the one can be dropped in favor of other extended tones. Play on! R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I posted in your other thread
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music