Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on whether to buy Gold-Tone TG-10 or Kala KA-GTR?

Default Re: Need advice on whether to buy Gold-Tone TG-10 or Kala KA-GTR?

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with it from the pics.

The story is her husband bought it, played it twice, got sick and passed away.

I don't see myself doing much of anything to it.
    Though, I'm not a fan of thick finishes. They do protect the wood from the occasional zipper scratch.

I might consider a wet sanding on the top going from 600 to 800 to 1200 to 2000 and then buff it out with some polish or wax.

Is that what you are talking about?

as far as scalloping the braces, I think I'll leave that alone.

I got the gold tone in the mail today.
    It is as described. More or less factory new.
    It was pretty clean too, except for what looked and smelled like a splat of dried skin lotion on the top. I hope it was dried lotion
    Frets perfect, fret board wasn't even dirty.
    I didn't have time to pick up new strings so I just cleaned them up with little steel wool and furniture polish.
    The strings were heavier than I am used to.
    This thing is LOUD!
    I don't know if this is a good thing acoustically, but you when you play it you physically feel the vibes through the back (not rattles). This made for a nice intimate experience for a living room picker like myself.
    I just play for personal enjoyment and my kids once in a while.

I think this is an earlier model because it doesn't have the "kluson style tuners" the website currently says it should have. It has vintage fender style ones.
    So, they may have raised their standards as far as finish since they ma
    The finish is typical Chinese and a bit too thick. The neck does have a nice matte finish and feels good.
    There are some tiny imperfections in the top finish. FYI: I did not see any of these in the one I played at the guitar store, but I didn't spend much time inspecting it.
    Finish:A raised speck, two other flat specks, on the top. A minor finish imperfection on the head stock.
    Wood: has a few cosmetic imperfections. a lighter spot that looks like a spot sanding, and a lighter curved line.
    Neck: is straight and flat, but the frets could use a dressing.
    Neck Joint: At first glance it doesn't look like it, but turns out it's a bolt on, not a crappy fender bolt on, but bolt on nonetheless.

All in all for $110 delivered with a case it's awesome. For $250 with the case it would be great. For $450-500 with the case I would be unhappy with the finish imperfections, but I think you could get one that's perfect if you had a choice.
    Looks like they sell new online for $320 as of 12/21/2017 and the case would cost you about $120.
    But, but it would need a setup and a minor fret dressing.

I'll post some pics and a vid once I replace the strings and my index finger recovers from playing on old heavy strings.
    Here is the link to the guitar on their site:
    https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/goldt...specifications

Quote Originally Posted by Fire View Post
    Yeah. Me owning the vintage martin would be like me driving my kids to school in a classic car.
    I know this is an old thread, but can't resist... Driving your kids to school in a classic car is a great thing. They get "cool car" comments, and you get to enjoy your car, and get the kids interested in them..
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Mar-20-2023 at 8:37pm. Reason: Fixed quote syntax
    Gibson A1 1913
    Breedlove Quartz KF K-Style
    Washburn M-4SW F-style
    The Loar MD 590-MS
    Eastman MD305 A-Style
    Gold Tone OM-800+ Octave
    Beltone 1920's banjo-mandolin