Thread: Saddle tilts forward — any thoughts on how to fix?

Southeast Vermont - take your pick of snow or ticks

Default Saddle tilts forward — any thoughts on how to fix?

My danged bridge has developed the bad habit of the saddle leaning forward on the treble side during playing. Doesn't take much at all — every time I nudge it back into position, it leans again. Not as a result of tuning, by the way, it just seems to like that position. It knocks the intonation off slightly, but the worst thing is that it makes the A string twang maddeningly.

It seems that the hole in the foot might have elongated, though I can't really tell, because there's no obvious play in it.

I was thinking of sanding the bottom of that side of the saddle to the angle to compensate for it, but I appreciate that this might be a boneheaded idea. Some kind of shim between the thumbwheel and the foot? I would have tried a washer, but it's too narrow a space for the thinnest I could find.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	171209-0001.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	162984

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Saddle tilts forward — any thoughts on how to fix?

I don't think your idea will work.
    From the picture, it looks like the threaded post is leaning forward.

First, make sure the threaded post is snug in the bridge base.

If that doesn't make a difference, then the easy solution is to kiss the A string slots with a triangle file, at half the angle at which the strings head for the tailpiece. One or two strokes should do it. That should take care of the twang. If you're squeamish about that, take it to your friendly local luthier. Move the treble foot of the bridge 1 mm. or so closer to the tailpiece. That should take care of your intonation problem. And live with the lean.

The right way to fix it is to remove the post, plug the hole in the base, redrill it at the correct angle with a drill press, re-tap it, and reinstall the post. You have to be pretty handy to do that. And ebony cracks and splits easily, so your tools have to be sharp.

3. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Just so I'm clear on this, the slots would be filed so that so that the tailpiece side of the grooves are lowered to compensate for the lean?

And thank you...

Teacher, repair person

Yes, the slots should be lower on the tailpiece side of the saddle than the neck side of the saddle. One or two strokes will probably be enough. Use the smallest file you can find.

String slots that are too level can make any mandolin "twang." We call it the "sitar effect."

Something doesn't fit well.
    For the adjuster wheel to be tilted like that, one of two things is probably wrong.
    1. The threads of the wheel and post are such that there is a very loose fit between the parts. That can allow the wheel to simply tilt on the post.
    2. The post is loose in the base, in which case it is likely to slip down deeper into the hole in the bridge base, and if the hole goes all the way through the base (as many do), then the end of the post is digging a hole in the top of the mandolin. I hope that is not the case, and that the posts are resting in the bottoms of holes that don't go all the way through (if indeed the posts are loose in the base).

The repair I would recommend is to replace the bridge with one of higher quality, such that things fit well, and have it installed. A good adjustable bridge should have posts that fit tight in the threaded holes in the base, wheels that turn freely on the posts but have no excess clearance. There should be n little to no perceptible "wobble". The holes in the bridge top should be just the right size and spacing so that the top slips onto the posts with a gentle push. No force.
    When all of those things are correct, the bridge will resist tilting forward... if it well fit to the top.

7. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Looking at this, one last question... the slots for the A and E strings are pretty deep, especially the E, but the strings are below wood in both courses. I have a small trianglular file, but it looks like if it were to go deep enough to reach the bottom of the slots, it might widen the top edges of the slots. The slots are cut straight. If filing widens the tops of the slots a little, am I creating another problem?

As John has stated; get a new bridge. Make sure who ever is fitting it knows how work on a floating bridge. If you keeps messing with it, it will only get worse.

10. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

The wheel seems to be well machined to the threads, but it's all old and there's enough corrosion that I can't thread the thumbwheel all the way off in either direction. It's the bridge that came on the mandolin from Gibson, circa 1990, so 27 years old this month. Seems like it was a quality bridge. The post doesn't seem to be loose, and it's as far down as it'll go, with clearance between the pointy end and the top — thanks for pointing that out, I'm glad to know to keep an eye on that. But, as for fit — I'm only able to finger tighten it, so conceivably it could be seated better. I'll try to get a grip on it with something soft to make sure.

I believe that — so far, I've only thought of messing with it and it's already worse.