Thread: tuners for a bowlback

Default tuners for a bowlback

is there such a thing as replacement tuners for a orhpeus tater bug mandolin...one of the buttons has broke off..im thinkin its a 70s model ...

Default Re: tuners for a bowlback

In my experience, best bet for older bowl-back parts, is to visit you local instrument repair shop (hope you have one), and ask the proprietor to look through his "salvage drawer" of parts cannibalized from unrepairable instruments. Just got a decent replacement bridge for my B & J Victoria bowl-back by this means.

If it's only the button that's split and come off its shaft, Stewart-McDonald sells individual replacement buttons that can be glued to the shaft. If you need more of the mechanism, I'd see if I could find something at your area "salvage yard."
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I think the Orpheus is one of the many brands similar to Suzuki esp if it is made in the 1970s. It probably looks like this one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l300.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	163116

You may be able to replace the button or, worse to worse, might be able to replace the tuners with an inexpensive set assuming the spacing is correct. Measure center post to center post.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

My Ditson bowlback needed a tuner button replaced. The repairman at Elderly Insruments replaced it with a modern button that was an almost exact duplicate and “aged” it with with a lighted match. Neat trick.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

5. The following members say thank you to Bill Clements for this post:

I have ordered a set of cheapo tuners....wrong spacing, bought tuner buttons ...they have a hole for a screw and don't seat on the shaft nearly tight enuff.....are there buttons with no screw hole in them?

by the way jim garber , the pic you posted of the bowlback above is the excact mandolin I have

There are buttons without screw holes, you put them on by heating the shaft of the tuner, OFF the mandolin of course, and it melts the button to the shaft.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

where could I order them? besides stew mac...their shipping is unreal

If you are careful or know someone who has some old tuners with similar buttons you can take the old button off and use that. Most places are going to get you on shipping that single thing. If your repair person needs something may he/she could order you a button. Post a pic that may help if someone has some old tuners they may send you one.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!