Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thomastik Infeld Strings

Default Re: Thomastik Infeld Strings

They are fine strings. I think it is more a question of, "do you like flatwounds over roundwounds?" Big difference, if you have never tried flatwounds. Not a Ford vs Chevy type of thing -- more like a tennis shoes vs cowboy boots type of thing! Not that one is better than the other.......
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Dec-20-2017 at 12:36am.

It's been a while since I ordered any TI's................seems to me I couldn't buy them locally, and had to order them thru a website.

Yep......I was right..........ordered them through THESE folks:

http://www.juststrings.com/thomastikinfeld.html

Or here:

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_1xrt497ryx_e
    Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    I used to love them, but the price has just got too steep for me, now an FW74 convert: the same feel as the TI's but a brighter louder tone.
    Same here. I used them for quite a few years and loved them, but the price tripled from when I started using them. I am now quite happy with the D’Addario flatwound.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

They certainly are expensive that is for sure!
    D Addario strings have been really dependable over the years, and reasonably priced!!
    -SDC

I use TI strong. Expensive, but last a long time and they go on sale occasionally. Smooth tone. No squeeks.
    <><><>><<><><>
    Start slow, fade early

Quote Originally Posted by ddminpgfl View Post
    I use TI strong......... Smooth tone. No squeeks.
    I recall a discussion somewhere, either here or in a Forum for guitars, in which there was a lot of emphasis put on the squeaking of strings. While I have no doubt that the construction of the strings contributes to either squeak or no squeak conditions, thrust of the conversation turned to technique. Obviously the more judicious we are about the placement of our fingers on the strings the less squeak there will be, (unless of course your style of play includes a lot of slides).
    -SDC

Quote Originally Posted by Soupy1957 View Post
    ...Obviously the more judicious we are about the placement of our fingers on the strings the less squeak there will be, (unless of course your style of play includes a lot of slides).
    The slides are mainly where the squeaking comes from. Doesn't have anything to do with finger placement or technique. I hear string squeak quite frequently from recordings of pro players. That's one of the main reasons why I use flatwound strings. No finger noise at all. Every time I play a mandolin that uses bronze wound strings, the string noise drives me crazy.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

I don't mind the squeaks. That said, my Breedlove has FW74 on it. Like the tone and feel on that instrument. Haven't tried flatwound on either of my other mandolins. My plan with the Gibson is to keep the PB set that's been on since April or May on for another 4 to 5 months. Just now it's getting to the good dead tone. The Californian is too new to me to decide what strings will stay on it. Want to keep the PB lights on for now and see how they evolve. But it may end up with a set of TI on it eventually.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I restrung my Mandolin w/ these Strings recently (just after changing the tailpiece out to a Terminator Tailpiece), & yeah I had to save up alot of money for these amazing Strings. The Flatwound construction will save the frets from scratches & the lower tension makes playing the Mandolin easier. Thomastik Mandolin Strings are Flatwound Strings designed like Violin Strings & the very top of the package, it says "Precision" in German. I guess these amazing strings would be great for Violinists who want to double on Mandolin.