Thread: Is a Breedlove Crossover OO an upgrade over Rogue RM-100A?

Question Is a Breedlove Crossover OO an upgrade over Rogue RM-100A?

Have got a Rogue RM-100A mandolin, and with new D'Addario medium strings it sounds way better that what the OEM strings were.

I do keep a look-out on Revrb for something better yet affordable. Tonight came across a Breedlove Guitars Crossover OO with an oval hole. Watched a few videos and the F holes do have more punch
    However I was & still am smitten by the Weber 'Bridger' model I saw going for $1300 used.

Thing is I don't have a lot of resources available to get a mandolin that is the price of a used pick-up truck. Tonight I saw the Breedlove Crossover OO for $380 I wondered if it would be worth it - or should I wait to see if there's something better?

Am still learning the mandolin, though also trying to keep an eye out on a good deal as well. I've got fat fingers and building up those calluses.

Did some light research and found the Crossover OO has something called a radius fretboard, and has a wider nut. Heard both of these features are good for those of us with wider fingers. So perhaps that is a plus.

Doubt I could ever justify spending more than $400 on a mandolin - unless it all clicked in one day and I became a famous player. Don't see that happening... and though I've been smitten by a Weber Bridger. I could never be able to dish out $1400+ on one without endorsements. (LOL) So I've got to set sights on other options.

Opinions or comments are welcome. And thanks.

Default Re: Is a Breedlove Crossover OO an upgrade over Rogue RM-100A?

Or would a used Big Muddy be an better option? Seen an M-2 for a fairly decent price. A tad more than I wanted to spend, although would rather buy American if I had the choice.

Weber's Bridger model really had me on the floor drooling. One I saw was $1300 though, yikes!

I can't speak for an archtop oval hole, but I have a midmo m-4 and it has some beautiful tone and sustain. It really shines playing irish tunes but I have seen midmos/big muddies work in all genres.

Folks on the forum speak very highly of Breedloves made in Bend, OR. I don't think you could go wrong with either option honestly.

And yes, they are both a considerable step above a rogue.

Just about anything is an upgrade from a rogue! :D

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoTrailLizard View Post
    Or would a used Big Muddy be an better option? Seen an M-2 for a fairly decent price. A tad more than I wanted to spend, although would rather buy American if I had the choice.
    If buying American is important to you, then a flattop like a Mid-Missouri / Big Muddy offers a lot of value: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/118817#118817

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoTrailLizard View Post
    Weber's Bridger model really had me on the floor drooling. One I saw was $1300 though, yikes!
    Weber also made a discontinued line of flattops with a similar look to the Bridger at about half the price, including the Y2K model: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/118118#118118
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

I have a Breedlove Crossover OO and it is ok. If the Chinese made Breedloves, I think it is the best buy. However I think if you're after an oval hole mandolin, i'd point you to a Kentucky KM-270. It has a fuller more lively sound.
    From Elderly, you can pick one up for about $340 right now with coupon code "SONG" for 10% off.
    https://www.elderly.com/kentucky-km-270-mandolin.htm

8. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

I recently bought a Breedlove Crossover OO at the factory store. For my feeble efforts at learning to play a mando it is OK. Since I am still a rank beginner I may ultimately find I am wrong about this but I find the e strings to be a bit harsh to my ear. Coming from a guitar background this mandolin has required some retraining of the ears. So, your mileage may vary greatly.

10. The following members say thank you to Peter Barnett for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    I have a Breedlove Crossover OO and it is ok. If the Chinese made Breedloves, I think it is the best buy. However I think if you're after an oval hole mandolin, i'd point you to a Kentucky KM-270. It has a fuller more lively sound.
    From Elderly, you can pick one up for about $340 right now with coupon code "SONG" for 10% off.
    https://www.elderly.com/kentucky-km-270-mandolin.htm
    Saw they has a 272 which is more appealing as it's not another sunburst scheme. Think is why I liked the "looks" of the Breedlove I saw as it was Maroon with creme trim. Looks isn't everything though. Sent an email to Elderly to see when their next stock would come in on these.

I do thank all of your for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Weber also made a discontinued line of flattops with a similar look to the Bridger at about half the price, including the Y2K model: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/118118#118118
    Yumm! Never heard of Weber before seeing a facebook page referral on Weber being in Bend, OR & something about their 20th Year Anniversary. I just had to go peek... ! /sigh

Went to a local music store (Greif's) mainly looking for a different pick and ran into the music instructor there. The store had a Loar that was badly out of tune. It did not sound much better than the Rogue I have at home. Think was a Loar 270 and they wanted $538 for it. Must of been used or something.
    When I mentioned Elderly.com as the point of reference for the Kentucky 272 the instructor said they were very good and would set the mandolin up before shipping - whereas most other stores would just box one up and send it. Elderly seems to have a good reputation.

And there was an older bowl-back that really has a sound unique to their style. The instructor had a belly and he had a time playing it and it wanted to slip. I declined to try it as my dragon was much bigger than his. :P

Contacted Elderly about opinions on the Kentucky 272 vs. Breedlove Crossover OO as I have no access to one locally here, without having to drive 70 miles to the Boise area. Seems they say it is personal preference but the one that replied if it was up to him he'd get the Kentucky.

Went to Pickers Paradise in Weiser, ID and talked with owner, Ken. He had a few choices on the rack. As I picked one up I'd try it, Ken would tune it, play it, than hand it back to me to try. I played my beginner stuff on it. (LOL) When Ken played them he sounded really good - though he said he was a guitar player, but liked the mandolin sound.

There was an oval Gold Tone for $349 that was okay. It sounded better than my Rogue, but it was also heavier in the neck. Don't know a thing about Gold Tones or how they compare to other companies.
    Next was a Ventura F holed that sounded a better, for $399.
    And there the was another Gold Tone with gold plated embellishments that purred the moment I picked it up. (Am serious!) Did not care for all the flashy stuff, but this one had lots of purr and a soft growl. It was around $399 area. Ken tuned it up and played it, it was nice.
    Finally there was a Loar model, $750, that probably sounded better than the others but lacked the purr. It had a good sustain for an F hole, and I checked the flashy gold Gold Tone and it had decent sustain as well.
    So 1 oval, 3 F holed played.

Saw one hanging above the archway by the door that looked like a Weber Bridger style, and Ken said it was an Octave Mandolin. $750ish range. Was a Gold Tone Octave Mandolin. This one had growl when played, was really deep, and man was that arm ever long! Had 2 or 3 extra frets above normal mandolins. The base was overly basey - like an acoustic base guitar.

Overall the $349 one was better than my Rogue, though it was heavier too. The flashy gold Gold Tone would of been the one I would of walked home with - but decided to do some research on it, or whether to stick to the original plan and go with a Kentucky 272.

I thanked Ken for his time, and he said to come back anytime to play them if I wanted. He does trade-ins too.

Want to take photos but the smartphone decided to act up. Missed the chance. Some proprietors don't want photos taken of their wares, so was trying to be on the sly. Surprise! Technology isn't always reliable.

Gold Tone instruments that I own -- Cripple Creek mini travel banjo, "Banjola" which is a mandola body with a five-string banjo neck, and four-string cello banjo -- are all decent quality, and pretty good value for the price. They're apparently made in Korea, then inspected and set up (so they say) in the US before distribution to dealers. I love the fact that Gold Tone is up for making "odd" types of instruments, such as mandolin banjos, "Irish tenor" banjos, ukulele banjos, etc. -- that have a limited market, but are just the thing for certain musicians looking for a particular style.

If you like the Gold Tone instruments, you probably won't go wrong buying one. For the $400 price, I'd also consider lower-end Kentucky instruments like the KM-150, and perhaps the Rover RM-75. However, you're also making a good decision, IMHO, in shopping at a local dealer; I'm a big fan of encouraging local instrument dealers. Of course, you're then limited to that dealer's inventory, but if he has a selection of mandolins from good manufacturers, you may well find the right mandolin for you.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM