Thread: Fantasia on "Silent Night" & "O du fröhliche" (F. Wohlfahrt)

Default Fantasia on "Silent Night" & "O du fröhliche" (F. Wohlfahrt)

Franz Wohlfahrt (1833-1884):
    "Easy Fantasia on Two Christmas Songs - 'O Stilly Night' and 'O Sanctissima'", Op. 83 (1882)
    "Leichte Fantasie über die beiden Weihnachtslieder 'Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht' und 'O sanctissima' [O du fröhliche]"

Franz Wohlfahrt is today almost exclusively known through his series of etudes (60 Studies for Violin, Op. 45), which are often among the first ones studied by beginning violinists. His original compositions are not much played. Here is one of them, a fantasia on two of the best-known German Christmas carols, "Silent Night" and "O du fröhliche" (the latter is set to the tune of the Catholic hymn "O Sanctissima").

The original piece is for two violins with piano accompaniment. I have adapted it to a trio of two mandolins and tenor guitar. The two violin parts are indeed fairly easy, but enjoyable to play and suitably sentimental for Christmas. I can't find any sign of any previous recording, so this may be a first -- slightly surprising given the famous source themes and the seasonal nature of the piece.

Sheet music at IMSLP:
    http://imslp.org/wiki/Easy_Fantasia_...lfahrt,_Franz)

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin
    1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Happy Christmas to all on the Cafe!

Martin
    Last edited by Martin Jonas; Dec-23-2017 at 8:04pm.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Fantasia on "Silent Night" & "O du fröhliche" (F. Wohlfahrt)

And also with you! Thanks for all your great recordings. They have been a great joy and inspiration to me. You've introduced me to many great pieces I never would have found other wise. Cheers!

4. The following members say thank you to JH Murray for this post: