Thread: Best Banjo Head Type for quiet melodic play

Unhappy Best Banjo Head Type for quiet melodic play

Hi

I need to put new head on. I plan to play mostly slow, quiet, and melodic.

Remo has a FiberSkin and an Ebony; from Remo's description these might be good for quiet play. Ebony claims more sustain (which might be nice, but hard to find in size I need).

Anyone have experience with these heads (or others) and make suggestion for a rich, quiet, tone to support slow, quiet, melodic play?

My Instruments Details:

FairBanks ~1916, Little Wonder, Electric Tone Ring, 8 string Mandolin Banjo.

Tone ring diameter ~10 2/16" (hard to measure as top is slightly rounded).

Neck floats over Tension Hoop,
    Tension hoop height (at the neck cut-out) ~ 1/2".

Old head seems flat (Now Cracked, probably from wood oil).#
    Old Head Diameter measures ~10 1-16 to 10 3-16.
    Old Head Height measured ~7/16.
    Last edited by Cos; Dec-25-2017 at 12:18pm.

Default Re: Best Banjo Head Type for quiet melodic play

Cos,

You'll get much more help by trying this at the Banjohangout: https://www.banjohangout.org. I'm surprised this post hasn't been inundated with banjo jokes and nasty comments already.

Merry Christmas,

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Blog Entries

Get an old towel. Fold it up. Squeeze it between dowel rod and the head, just below the bridge. Works great.

edit: on rereading your post I see it is a Little Wonder with a busted head. Just get whatever you can that fits. It is an oddball size. Fibreskin is good if you can find it, but the old towel trick is what you need if you want 'quiet', regardless.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

you can use a calf skin replacement , or synthetics Remo seems to dominate that niche..
    Fiberskyn aims at a calf skin without the issues of drying & splitting or humidity lowering the bridge,

the 'Renaissance ' , a nice color, a bit brighter, and the frosted white and completely clear, brighter still,,
    My ^^ Vega Lil' Wonder got one of those..

synthetics you have to get the right diameter, *

natural skin you don't, but you need the flesh hoop to wrap it around while wet.

* Sometimes , as you say, getting the size limits the choice of head material type..

yea, stuffing something between the rim stick & the head quiets the ring to a plunk.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Mandroid has detailed recommendations which I agree with. Bear in mind that no matter what you do a mandolin banjo will sound percussive. For more mellow get a real Mandolin.

Also, I could be wrong but I thought a little Wonder had a simple tone ring and an Electric was a much higher end tone ring.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I'm with HonketyHank--get a head that you'll like for playing more loudly then mute it with some cloth between the stick and head.
    I use an orphan gym sock on my tenor banjo which has a Renaissance head. It's quiet enough not to disturb my wife but I can take the sock out and still be heard at an Irish session.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

I carry a piece of leather rolled up that is just the right length to fit from the dowel stick under the bridge and be snug, quiets the banjo down very nice and is small and easy to carry in the case.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

A natural calfskin gives the mellowest sound.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

9. The following members say thank you to Dave Hanson for this post:

I don't know if there are any 'synthetic' banjo heads of a diameter that will suit your Banjolin. Maybe as suggested,''The Banjo Hangout'' could offer more positive suggestions,but of course you could contact REMO by e-mail ?. As for being 'quiet',thicker skins would be a better choice,but the head should be brought up to a tension where the sound isn't 'tubby' to begin with. 'Quiet' is one thing, 'quiet & tubby' sounding is another. I'd opt for the suggestion that i used to use myself back when i began using finger picks on banjo,a rolled up duster (old pair of socks) placed under the bridge area of the skin. You can adjust the tone / volume by packing it in hard,or leaving it a tad loose. If you use an old pair of socks,i suggest washing them first !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

BTW--with the rolled sock method you can get different sounds and level of muting depending on where you put the sock. I've settled on putting it right below the bridge.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

12. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

I have calf skin on mine, which I use for Irish traditional music and acoustic rock and roll.. The tone is much more complex and interesting than synthetic.

Skin heads are the best sound, but can be problematic if you live where there is humidity in all or part of the year. Here in the summertime sometimes it's hard to get thru a song without being out of tune. I choose fiberskyn as it is the warmest of the synthetics and stable for tuning. Well as a banjo can be.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Bob Smakula supplies a wide variety of Fiberskyn and other synthetic heads was well as real skin ones. Elderly and Bernunzio also may be good sources.

I also have calfskin on most of my banjos. My only mandolin Banjo is a Weymann with a 7” head so it has to have a real skin head. Sounds good with it tho. OTOH MBs are never truly mellow. That is what wood is for.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thank you all.....

What's the best banjo head for quiet play? And -- what's the best chainsaw for trimming one's toenails? What species of elephant makes the best house pet? What brand of hot sauce should I mix into my baby's formula?

Sorry; I just am having a bit of trouble reconciling "banjo" and "quiet." Really, it's a legitimate question, though it tramples all my carefully-nourished stereotypes.

1. Natural skin would probably work better than Mylar; set the head tension looser than "standard."

2. A fabric "damper" against the head is a common device -- hand towel, rolled socks, whatever.

3. Consider nylon strings, which will cut out the metallic content of the sound.

4. Lighten up the technique; bare fingers only, no picks.

5. Last resort, consider a Gold Tone "Banjola" or a Pollman Mandoline-Banjo: wooden mandola body, five-string banjo neck. It's a nice, though not "banjo-y," sound.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post

3. Consider nylon strings, which will cut out the metallic content of the sound.

This ~~~~^

Edit to note: IF they care to learn how to, even banjo players can play quietly (and really, tastefully and politely). It is a very valuable skill. It's just not a skill that is commonly taught or even encouraged in many banjo related communities. Those of us who do encourage learning this skill like to call it dynamic volume control.
    Last edited by dhergert; Dec-27-2017 at 2:46pm.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

20. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

What's the best banjo head for quiet play? And -- what's the best chainsaw for trimming one's toenails? What species of elephant makes the best house pet? What brand of hot sauce should I mix into my baby's formula?

Sorry; I just am having a bit of trouble reconciling "banjo" and "quiet." Really, it's a legitimate question, though it tramples all my carefully-nourished stereotypes.
    As I maintain above, the best mandolin-banjo for playing quietly requires a banjo-ectomy, hence it would be called a mandolin.

See above tho nylon/Nylgut would be a possibility.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: